Citizenship first, or marriage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citizenship first, or marriage?

I am planning om marrying a Chinese citizen and bringing her to the USA.

I have a green card, but recently applied for Citizenship. Of course my status is Single.

We plan to marry in August - but I do not know if this will confuse my citizenship application. Do I need to amend it?

I am not sure if we shoudl marry soon, and apply for my wife's visa using my E2 status? Or wait until I receive citizenship to marry?

Please, if anyone has advise or relevant experience we would love to hear it
    Wolf. Right Here and Now

I am planning om marrying a Chinese citizen and bringing her to the USA.

I have a green card, but recently applied for Citizenship. Of course my status is Single.

We plan to marry in August - but I do not know if this will confuse my citizenship application. Do I need to amend it?

I am not sure if we shoudl marry soon, and apply for my wife's visa using my E2 status? Or wait until I receive citizenship to marry?

Please, if anyone has advise or relevant experience we would love to hear it
    Wolf. Right Here and Now

Comment

Hi WolfRhan and welcome to ILW

It would be less paperwork to apply when you are a Citizen, but you can apply once married, then when you are a Citizen you can update your application when the time comes.
      Also as an LPR it takes longer for a Spouse to get her GC than as if you were a Citizen, but once you update, the timing will change.

Have you just applied or do you know when your interview is etc?
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
      1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

Wow thanks for the fast response !

I just had the fingerprints, so interview is not scheduled yet. So far the USCIS has been great, really fast.

I'm not sure though, if I get married do I need to amend my application?

So hard to know what to do ....
        Wolf. Right Here and Now

Comment

I believe you will have the chance to update at the interview as they ask you if anything has changed since you sent your application in.

How long ago did you apply?
          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

They received my application May 14 and Fingerprints 4 June

I'm not sure how long processing takes - seems like 12 months? It is very hard to tell. My green card expires June 09

The more I look at this the more confusing it gets
            Wolf. Right Here and Now

Comment

I am not familiar with E2 status and how to bring a spouse over, not sure if same rules as a normal LPR or not. Hopefully someone may be able to answer that tonight or tomorrow. Best to check back.

Regarding LPR status though, there are less options in sponsoring a spouse and it takes a lot longer.
              As a USC there are other options and will be a lot shorter time frame, so really it depends on whether you can wait to marry or not and/or apply when you are a USC.
              Either way she may not be able to come and AOS here before you are granted your Citizenship.

If you do apply before interview, then you inform them when you go, and maybe good idea to fill in whatever answers in another form or separate paper to the questions regarding marriage etc, so they have updated information.

Not sure if there is any form to fill in prior to the interview in case of change.

Hopefully someone else will come along and answer this. Please check back tomorrow, I am sure someone else can help

Comment

Welcome to ILW WolfRhan!

The stellar customer service at the USCIS will sometimes tell you that you don't need to do anything to upgrade the petition, that it will happen automatically. However, this isn't quite right.

When the time comes, you should send them a copy of your naturalization certificate, a copy of the I-130 and a letter explaining that you would like the petition upgraded. The fax number etc should be in the packet you get once you apply.

Once that's done, a visa number will become available immediately for your wife and because all the checks and things would've been done at the NVC, they'll start processing straight away. It'll go much faster than if you wait til you're a Citizen.

You should also give them a call regarding your current status. Since it's almost expired, they'll give you a temporary stamp.
                The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Comment

I am not sure about this, but my thinking was you cannot apply for an E2 for your wife because when you became a LPR, you lost your E1 status

SO get married whenever you want and apply for your wife immediately or wait till you become a citizen. JUst remember to inform the oficer at the interview that you are now married (if that takes place before the interview)

Comment

Sorry all I made a BIG mistake

My current status is I have a Green Card which I now understand is called LPR. I did have E2 ages ago, before the green card.

My apologies for the confusuion. Please keep the advice coming, it is really helpful.
                    Wolf. Right Here and Now

Comment

OK I read the advice and also talked to a lawyer. Here is my game plan - any commenst or suggestions?

Get married ASAP
                      I'm told this won't negativly impact my citizenship application
                      BUT I was told my fiancee will be less able to travel to US, which I don't understand
                      No big problem though since right now we can't get a visa anyway

Apply for I-130 right away
                      Using green card, this can be switched to citizenship basis later & will gain time

Get Citizenship & convert I-130 application

Get entry Visa

Live happily ever after
                      Wolf. Right Here and Now

Comment

Before you rush like a fool in love, may I suggest to google immigration fraud, vawa, vawa fraud and then come to your senses.

How long have you known this woman? How did you meet her? If through dating site, you need to be very cautious.

Screw the VAWA, screw the feminists organizations, screw the filthy lawyers.
                        I am not racist. I am not anti-immigrant. I am AGAINST CRIMINALS, FRAUDSTERS, WHO DISOBEY THE LAW, BREAK THE LAW AND PERPETRATE THE FRAUD.

You may not like what I have to say but that does not mean I am wrong.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Before you rush like a fool in love, may I suggest to google immigration fraud, vawa, vawa fraud and then come to your senses. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr google it gave advice to google it!

Comment

Working...
                          X