Exemption from Affidavit of Support?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exemption from Affidavit of Support?

Does anyone heard of anyone who was exempted from affidavit of support?

I did some research and seems like there is a provision which says something like, if the sponsored alien can demonstrate that he can be credited 40 qualifying quarters (substitution of SSA coverage for the I-864 Affidavit of Support), Affidavit of Support is no longer required.

Can someone confirm if this is true?

Does anyone heard of anyone who was exempted from affidavit of support?

I did some research and seems like there is a provision which says something like, if the sponsored alien can demonstrate that he can be credited 40 qualifying quarters (substitution of SSA coverage for the I-864 Affidavit of Support), Affidavit of Support is no longer required.

Can someone confirm if this is true?

Comment

This is a link for FAQ about the affidavit of support. It includes the info about working 40 quarters.

http://www.travel.state.gov/i864gen.html

Comment

40 work quarters is approximately 10 years.
        Sweet Madame Belu

Comment

An exerpt from this link http://travel.state.gov/state034687.html follows:

"AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT TERMINATES ONCE THE SPONSORED ALIEN HAS WORKED, OR CAN BE CREDITED WITH, 40 QUALIFYING QUARTERS OF COVERAGE UNDER TITLE II OF THE SOCIAL SECURITY ACT"

SSA Title 2 - section 207 defines employment as

"employment" means any service performed after 1936 and prior to 1951 which was employment for the purposes of this title under the law applicable to the period in which such service was performed, and any service, of whatever nature, performed after 1950 (A) ..., (B) ..., C) if it is service, regardless of where or by whom performed, which is designated as employment or recognized as equivalent to employment under an agreement entered into under section 233 (international agreement);

What does this imply, employment in Canada is counted as a qualifying quarter due to the fact that Canada is a signatory in this international agreement?

Hope somebody could give me some advise.

Comment

Not getting any feedback from members of the discussion board. I guess its time to bring this up to a lawyer?

Comment

No
              40 quarters are earned in US.
              Its a discussion, not a legal advise..

Comment

thanks mohan.

Comment

Working...
                X