OPT holder, will be marrying USC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPT holder, will be marrying USC

Hi, I recently graduated from college in december 2005 with an F1 and then have my OPT until february 2007. However, I've been dating a US citizen I met in college for 2 and a half years and we're planning on getting married by the end of this year. Our parents have already met because my family moved to the States with a green card two years ago. What forms do we need to file after our marriage, and do we need an immigration lawyer? Thanks. reply asap.

Hi, I recently graduated from college in december 2005 with an F1 and then have my OPT until february 2007. However, I've been dating a US citizen I met in college for 2 and a half years and we're planning on getting married by the end of this year. Our parents have already met because my family moved to the States with a green card two years ago. What forms do we need to file after our marriage, and do we need an immigration lawyer? Thanks. reply asap.

Comment

Springmoon,
      Congrats on your engagement.

Adter marrying your fisnce by the end of 2006, filr form I-130, I-485, I 765, and all other supporting documentation to adjust your status to permenant residency. The I-765 will give you the work authorization after your OPT ends and should not interfere with your employment, assuming the employer keeps you after the OPT ends.
      "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Thanks, Hudson. I will print out those forms from the USCIS website. Do I need an immigration lawyer though? I don't want to have to spend too much money 'cos I have to already.

Comment

You only need a lawyer if you doubt or have no clue how to fill out the forms after reading filing instructions.

Comment

Working...
          X