Please help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help

Am agreen card holder for the last 2 years.I have a 10 years son back in Africa who I plan to stay with here but the father don't want that.He will attain his right when he reach 18 years.Will it be too late to start applying for his greencard then. I read a place that he should be here earlier than 18 years?

Am agreen card holder for the last 2 years.I have a 10 years son back in Africa who I plan to stay with here but the father don't want that.He will attain his right when he reach 18 years.Will it be too late to start applying for his greencard then. I read a place that he should be here earlier than 18 years?

Comment

Hi Charl,

If you become a citizen by the time your son turns 18, you can petition for him and there will be an immigrant visa immediately available to him.

If you stay permanent resident, you can still petition for him, but he will have to wait for visa number. At the moment, wait is around 7 years. It may happen that he will age-out during the process (be considered over 21, there are some rules how one can still be considered child (under 21) even though he/she is older), and that could put him in F2B category and increase waiting time.

So, your best options are (make sure you can petition for him before he is 18, without fathers approval):
      - become USC and start the process when he is 17 and one half
      - if you stay permanent resident, follow the visa bulletin http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bu...etin_2943.html and see what the aprox. wait for 2A category is in a few years. If it stays 6 years, petition for your son when he turns 12, 13, so he'll get visa around his 18th birthday.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
      X