X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal in The US and getting married

Hi

I came to the US illegally 6 years ago.
    I will soon marry my (USC) girl friend,As I came without inspection or Visa,Can I still Adjust my status and get permanent residence?
    John Thank you.

Hi

I came to the US illegally 6 years ago.
    I will soon marry my (USC) girl friend,As I came without inspection or Visa,Can I still Adjust my status and get permanent residence?
    John Thank you.

Comment

Not until they bring back the 245(i) which I haven't heard anything lately.

Anyone else?

Comment

if i enter with a visa but else thing is same as guest's whar else way can make me get PR besides though the i245?

thanks

Comment

If you enter with a visa, you can adjust if you get married. I think the only one that doesn't work is the J visa unless you get a waiver. How did you come in the US?

Comment

I came with B-1 visa., does it ONLY because that the guest entered without visa if the gust cannot adjust as mine, ?can he adjust as mine?

Comment

If you enter ILLEGALLY, then you can't adjust your status. That's why.

Comment

Mary Thank you for your answer,what is 245i?

Comment

245(i) was something that illegal could use to become legal. To my knowledge it's not in effect anymore.

Comment

can I adjust the status thought marrying my GF (USC) not i254?

Comment

No, not if you entered illegally.

Comment

What if you entered legally and werent able to keep your status and are in deportation proceedings right now.. What happens then?

Comment

If you marry an USC you're okay.

Comment

You may be eligible to apply for adjustment to permanent resident status if you are already in the United States and if one or more of the following categories apply to you.

Family Member

You are the spouse, parent, unmarried child under age 21, the unmarried son or daughter over age 21, the married son or daughter, or the brother or sister of a United States citizen and have a visa petition approved in your behalf.

You are the spouse or unmarried son or daughter of any age of a lawful permanent resident and you have a family-based visa petition approved in your behalf.

Otherwise Eligible

If "otherwise eligible" to immigrate to the U.S., immediate relatives may adjust status to LPR (get a "green card") in the United States even if they may have done any of the following:

worked without permission,

remained in the U.S. past the period of lawful admission (e.g., past the expiration date on your I-94) and filed for adjustment of status while in an unlawful status because of that,

failed otherwise to maintain lawful status and with the proper immigration documentation, or

have been admitted as a visitor without a visa under sections 212(l) or 217 of the Act (which are the 15-day admission under the Guam visa waiver program and the 90-day admission under the Visa Waiver Program, respectively).
                            Please note: If a person came into the U.S. illegally, that person is barred from adjusting their status to LPR (cannot obtain a green card) even if he or she marries a U.S. citizen or otherwise becomes an immediate relative. An immediate relative must meet the eligibility requirement of being "inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States."

****************again this is the most important part for those that entered illegally!!
                            Please note: If a person came into the U.S. illegally, that person is barred from adjusting their status to LPR (cannot obtain a green card) even if he or she marries a U.S. citizen or otherwise becomes an immediate relative. An immediate relative must meet the eligibility requirement of being "inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States."

Comment

There is one and only way to adjust your status. If you have been grandfathered by 245(i) , provided your application was approvable then that's your last chance. But I doubt if there are alot of people eligible for that because most of them had already got their greencard.

Comment

Working...
                              X