Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unregistered adult children

hello,

My sister and I were born in Canada 1978 and 1976, Our father left us sometime in the mid 80's. We ahve since reunited with him and found his mother who he lost some 50 years ago. We have since found out our father was born a US citizen (he got his passport in the 80's and was not told to register his children)

Since finding out this information i have made several phone calls to people trying to gather as much information as i can to no success, I have a feeling that we are Citizens Born Abroad, But i cant seem to find out how to go about getting registered im also hearing that the cut off age to register is 18 this makes no sence as he should have been told to register us when he registered !

im just looking for some help as i will be able to get work in the us and only want what i am intitiled to......

hello,

My sister and I were born in Canada 1978 and 1976, Our father left us sometime in the mid 80's. We ahve since reunited with him and found his mother who he lost some 50 years ago. We have since found out our father was born a US citizen (he got his passport in the 80's and was not told to register his children)

Since finding out this information i have made several phone calls to people trying to gather as much information as i can to no success, I have a feeling that we are Citizens Born Abroad, But i cant seem to find out how to go about getting registered im also hearing that the cut off age to register is 18 this makes no sence as he should have been told to register us when he registered !

im just looking for some help as i will be able to get work in the us and only want what i am intitiled to......

Comment

the us and only want what i am intitiled to......
      Was your father born in the US, or did he just get a US passport? If he did not live several years in the US before the age of 14 or thereabouts, it's very likely he cannot convey his citizenship to you. Also, it seems that he may not have acknowledged you as his before you were 18 years old, which would be another sticker. (I'm not a lawyer, though.) There are several laws governing this, and the one that applies is the one that was in effect at the time of your birth.

What others on this website have suggested is to apply for a US passport at the US consul or embassy in your country, and see what they say.

Comment

He was not born in the US but is a US citizen is was brought in to the US on his mothers passport in thr 50'd and later kidnapped aledgidly by his fater and returned to canada.

when he received his US paper work in the 80's it was not sugested that he register his children, i suppose we could play on the premis that we were registered and go that way since they have had a hard time finding his information. (they lost it) he has since received it.

This is a very touchy situation and im starting to run out of options.

Comment

If he didn't live in the US for several years before the age of 14, that may have been why it wasn't suggested that he register his children. He had citizenship, but couldn't convey it to you. At least, that's what I recall the law as saying. Have you spoken to an immigration lawyer? Or, as I said above, apply for a passport and see what the Embassy/consulate says.

Comment

You are born in Canada and , I assume, are Canadian Citizen.
            You are entitled to many benefits under NAFTA and you can come to US anytime as you please.
            While in US you may want to visit the local Immigration Attorney's office (most will give free first consultation, before you figure out if you need to retain one).
            Ask if you are entitled to benefits of USC born abroad.
            You may also check with US Consulate in Canada.

It's simple question demanding YES or NO answer based on clearly written statute and evidence of your circumstances.

Good Luck,

IE

Comment

i guess he has to file a petition to bring us in on his passport. that is what the consulate told me, but im going to hand it to a imagration lawyer and see whet they can do with it

Comment

Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                X