National amnesty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National amnesty

When will Congress pass the promised by both presidential candidates national amnesty program that will allow 12 milion of foreign workers in US to obtain any kind of work permit or visa?
    Why do the Americans hire 12 milions of foreign labor force without any kind of green card???

When will Congress pass the promised by both presidential candidates national amnesty program that will allow 12 milion of foreign workers in US to obtain any kind of work permit or visa?
    Why do the Americans hire 12 milions of foreign labor force without any kind of green card???

Comment

Amnesty will not happen. The people do not want it.

Comment

Let's just assume for a second that amnesty does happen one day...
        I have read somewhere that with the neccessary background checks for each of the 12 million illegal/overstayee individuals, lack of staff and technical readiness, it would take between 8-10 years (according to some experts 15years) to process, decide on and grant individual cases. So in theory if anyone were to get amnesty today, it would still mean a long-long wait before most applicants would receive his/her permament residency.

Comment

A law is as good as it's enforcement. You can't leave the border nearly open and expect people not to come becaue you put up a sign saying that it's against the law. Who's going to take an unenforced law seriously? Defniately ot someone living in a hopless situation who sees a better future on the other side of the line.
          Have a nice day

Comment

Nearly open? And that's why so many risk their lives crossing deserts, hiding in trucks or trains in sweltering heat, and leaving their loved ones behind? Lack of enforcement is the least of it. Seems to me it would make sense for citizens to overthrow a government which treated its citizens that badly--not risk death trying to cross a border. What we need to see more of are protests such as the one in Mexico City about crime.

Comment

If illegal aliens think lack of enforcement justifies their actions, just imagine how they'd respond to amnesty! Which, when you think of it, is a big reason why there are so many now--the 1986 amnesty showed we aren't serious about enforcing our borders.

Comment

Sorry to disappoint you Marie, but I don't think a blanket amnesty a la 1986 is anythere near a possibility. The feeling goes that the majority of the 12+ million overstayers, illegal or unlawfull presence people have done so by choice or ignorance and they have the choice to end their dilema in the U.S. immediatly by leaving.

Yes, you'll say "but leaving is no choice because of the inadmissiability issue", but in the long run the inadmissiability/inadjustability will be the factor that illegal immigration and illegal overstays will be curved.

As much as I'm pro-immigration and I imagine it to be a tragedy on an individual base, but on a larger scale it's what's needed for national security.

Comment

Maria's also under the impression that Bush wants to give amnesty. He doesn't. Under his plan, most people would get legal work permits that would expire in 3 years, and relatively few would have any chance of getting a green card.

Supposedly, his pressure is the reason AgJobs will not go through--it IS an amnesty.

Comment

Neither presidential candidate has promised this

Comment

PEDOPHILE

Comment

Yeah Aliba, you're write. I agree. They're just a bunch of criminals and we should line them all up and shoot them for not living in misery because we don't like to look at them.

I might as well get in front of the firing squad too. How dare I call myself an American. Marrying a criminal. I might as well have signed up for the "prison penpals" program. I could have married a murderer, but at least he'd be a US citizen.
                        Have a nice day

Comment

Gluhbirne--Who said anything about lining anyone up and shooting anyone?

In case you don't read the papers, there was a massive peaceful demonstration IN MEXICO BY MEXICANS against the inaction of their government in dealing with THEIR crime problem.
                          Would that the citizens of MEXICO would take such actions in dealing with the reasons WHY people immigrate illegally, notably the poor education system and widespread corruption. By the way, a major newspaper recently did a story on the buying and selling of teaching jobs in Mexico because of corruption in the teachers' union. If you want to know why people immigrate, you have to look no further than their backyards--and who should have the responsibility of "cleaning up" those backyards if not the citizens themselves? Do you really want W to turn his sights on Mexico?

Comment

Gluhbirne--And how did we go from the topic of a general amnesty to your specific case with your husband? Everything seems to come back to that with you. Filing a waiver to bring him back and going through the legal hoops is hardly the same thing as giving a general amnesty to all and sundry. You don't seem to get the issues are of fairness and order. One man here illegally isn't a problem, particularly if he goes home and applies to come legally--12 or so million are, particularly when it means that people who do play fair, such as my students overseas, have to give up their dream of coming here, or wait years for the chance if it ever comes.

Comment

I for one do not have a problem with the current immigration laws. Would I like to see a serious investment in enforcement? Yes, but in the meantime the status quo is okay. Particularly when more and more states are making it increasingly difficult for illegals to get driver's licenses, get bank accounts, etc. By making it harder for illegals to function above-ground you are helping to discouage illegal immigration. Accept the consequences of your actions.....if you come here illegally and encounter the problems that people who are forced to live "underground" encounter (i.e., possibly not getting paid by an employer, long hours, no benefits, no protections, etc.)that is just

Comment

Working...
                              X