Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Immigration Law Question: Looking for advice for girlfriend...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration Law Question: Looking for advice for girlfriend...

Hello,

I was looking for any additional advice or information before consulting a lawyer.

I met my girlfriend in my accounting master's program in 2010 and we have been dating for about a year now. I am very much in love with her. She is having trouble finding a company that will sponsor her and her OPT runs out in February 2012. I am currently a graduate student who also works full time. Are there any other options available for her in order to keep her in the US besides marriage? I understand that marriage does not guarantee any kind of citizenship but can still provide us a possible solution. My girlfriend and I do not want to get married and feel we would be rushing into things if we did so, but currently I do not see any other solution. I am sure this situation has occurred before and was hoping for some advice from individuals who may be familiar with such an occurrence. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Hello,

I was looking for any additional advice or information before consulting a lawyer.

I met my girlfriend in my accounting master's program in 2010 and we have been dating for about a year now. I am very much in love with her. She is having trouble finding a company that will sponsor her and her OPT runs out in February 2012. I am currently a graduate student who also works full time. Are there any other options available for her in order to keep her in the US besides marriage? I understand that marriage does not guarantee any kind of citizenship but can still provide us a possible solution. My girlfriend and I do not want to get married and feel we would be rushing into things if we did so, but currently I do not see any other solution. I am sure this situation has occurred before and was hoping for some advice from individuals who may be familiar with such an occurrence. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Comment

This post has been deleted for violation of board rules.

Comment

LMAO
        USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aduf0214:
          Hello,

I met my girlfriend in my accounting master's program in 2010 and we have been dating for about a year now. I am very much in love with her. She is having trouble finding a company that will sponsor her and her OPT runs out in February 2012. I am currently a graduate student who also works full time. Are there any other options available for her in order to keep her in the US besides marriage? I understand that marriage does not guarantee any kind of citizenship but can still provide us a possible solution. My girlfriend and I do not want to get married and feel we would be rushing into things if we did so, but currently I do not see any other solution. I am sure this situation has occurred before and was hoping for some advice from individuals who may be familiar with such an occurrence. Thank you in advance for your responses. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
          Hello,
          I can understand why the two of you do not want to get married right now, so here is my advice:
          1. Try to see if your girlfriend can get sponsored through the H1b program. This is your best option.
          2. If option #1 does not happen, she will need t oreturn home with the two of you continuing your relationship via long distance. This could give you an opportunity to go to her country and work after you finish your grad school.
          3. Marriage will solve her immigration status to remain here in the US and allow her to work without a sponsor. After 3 1/2 years under the Green Card, she would be eligible to apply for citizenship if she chooses to do so. However, applying for citizenship is not a requirement for marriage for her and you.

I wish both of you luck and good fortune to the times ahead. If you have any other questions, just PM me.
          "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aduf0214:
            Hello,

I met my girlfriend in my accounting master's program in 2010 and we have been dating for about a year now. I am very much in love with her. She is having trouble finding a company that will sponsor her and her OPT runs out in February 2012. I am currently a graduate student who also works full time. Are there any other options available for her in order to keep her in the US besides marriage? I understand that marriage does not guarantee any kind of citizenship but can still provide us a possible solution. My girlfriend and I do not want to get married and feel we would be rushing into things if we did so, but currently I do not see any other solution. I am sure this situation has occurred before and was hoping for some advice from individuals who may be familiar with such an occurrence. Thank you in advance for your responses. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's f.ucked up here anyway, haters on Fox news (Bachman and Co.) waiting for next elections and then real anti-immigrant Holocaust will begin.

Why would you want your girlfriend to come and live here, unless she is right wing extremist (in which case all doors will be wide open for her, now and for years to come)?

Your best bet is to move to other countries , where Freedom of Speech and Human Rights still mean something more than a piece of paper used for sanitary purposes.

To specifically answer your question , if she has OPT running out in Feb.2012 she can either:

a) Find another company to sponsor her.
            b)Get a transfer and continue her education here.
            c) Apply for tourist visa
            d) Return home or go to another country
            e) Apply for other visas (investor, trader etc.)

Good luck

P.S. Hudson is one of 'em Neos,and he has no immigration background.
            I wouldn't heed whatever he advises. Your best bet is to consult an immigration attorney.
            http://www.anbsoft.com/images/usflag_med.jpg

"...I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibit

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hudson:
              Hello,

Hello,
              I can understand why the two of you do not want to get married right now, so here is my advice:
              1. Try to see if your girlfriend can get sponsored through the H1b program. This is your best option.
              2. If option #1 does not happen, she will need t oreturn home with the two of you continuing your relationship via long distance. This could give you an opportunity to go to her country and work after you finish your grad school.
              3. Marriage will solve her immigration status to remain here in the US and allow her to work without a sponsor. After 3 1/2 years under the Green Card, she would be eligible to apply for citizenship if she chooses to do so. However, applying for citizenship is not a requirement for marriage for her and you.

I wish both of you luck and good fortune to the times ahead. If you have any other questions, just PM me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

your suggestion is very helpful for aduf.
              baby gifts

magazine subscriptions

Comment

Working...
              X