Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage-based GreenCard Application Question

Dear all,

This is a great forum and I hope you can give me some advice.

I am current on F-1 VISA (UK) and my wife is a GC holder, who has just filed her application for US citizenship (N-400). I hope to get my GC as soon as possible since it will aid my job search.

My question is: should I wait until my spouse becomes a citizen first before I file for I-130 and I-485? Or is there anything I can do now to speed up the process, e.g., submit I-485 now, and "upgrade" it with I-130 later?

Also, is there any way to speed up the I-485 application process, for example, attached a petition letter from my employer?

Thanks!
    MC1031

Dear all,

This is a great forum and I hope you can give me some advice.

I am current on F-1 VISA (UK) and my wife is a GC holder, who has just filed her application for US citizenship (N-400). I hope to get my GC as soon as possible since it will aid my job search.

My question is: should I wait until my spouse becomes a citizen first before I file for I-130 and I-485? Or is there anything I can do now to speed up the process, e.g., submit I-485 now, and "upgrade" it with I-130 later?

Also, is there any way to speed up the I-485 application process, for example, attached a petition letter from my employer?

Thanks!
    MC1031

Comment

no no and no

Your wife can file I-130 now but you can't file I-485 until your "priority date" (turn) to adjust status to permanent resident or get an immigrant visa is current.

For spouses of GC holders, it may take 5 years fo that to happen. Spouses of US citizens don't have to wait (I-485 can be sent together with I-130). So, if I-130 is filed now, your wife can upgrade the petition once she becomes USC and you can send I-485 at the same time.

Unless your (or your wife's) life literaly depends on you getting GC, there is no "speed up". With I-485 you can apply for work authorisation document that's normaly approved within 90 days, and you can work with it.

Comment

Thanks for quick reply

My wife filed N-400 in Apr 2008. The application is at Nebraska, but they do not publish processing time for N-400 on their website. I hope to get my GC by the end of 2009... Does it sound too optimistic?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MC1031:
          My wife filed N-400 in Apr 2008. The application is at Nebraska, but they do not publish processing time for N-400 on their website. I hope to get my GC by the end of 2009... Does it sound too optimistic? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> no, it is realistic. Stay in school in the meantime.

USCISProjected Naturalization Processing Times For Local Offices
          http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb9...CM1000004718190aRCRD
          or
          look at N-400 processing tima at local (field) office
          https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp

Comment

Working...
          X