Question on I-751

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on I-751

Hi. My resident card will expire on Feb 6, 2008. I will send out I-751 tomorrow. I know that on average, it will take four weeks to receive a receipt from USCIS. I called USCIS today and they told me due to heavye workload I WILL have a gap between my expiration date and the date I receive a letter to extend my visa.

What is the average time to get a receipt? (I am in S.F. California). Can I continue to work during the gap? Thanks.

Hi. My resident card will expire on Feb 6, 2008. I will send out I-751 tomorrow. I know that on average, it will take four weeks to receive a receipt from USCIS. I called USCIS today and they told me due to heavye workload I WILL have a gap between my expiration date and the date I receive a letter to extend my visa.

What is the average time to get a receipt? (I am in S.F. California). Can I continue to work during the gap? Thanks.

Comment

hi hyw how are you . well first, dont call the 800# again and dont believe a word that they said ok.. just make sure when you file it to send it registered mail . so you will have proof that u send it on time and plus whenever they recieve the file, whatever officer recieve the file will have to sighn a little card and u will get that in mail too ,so you will know that they recieved it for sure. and actually it's not ur problim how long will take to get ur reciept , u must file on time and this is the only thing u should care about ,so no worry for how long is it going to take ,and no one can answer that question for you anyway bcoz no one know's ho long it will take to get the reciept ,,lately some ppl have waited 3 months and nothing yet and some others recieved the first NOA in 2 weeks only ,so u never know but this is not an issue , i will say 3-4 weeks ,but you never know,,i filed an i-751 last week and still waiting ...so dont worry

Comment

i will say yes you can ,you dont have to mention it, but just in case if they ask you ,,keep the return card u will get in mail as proof that you filed it.

Comment

and actually if u file it now ,you will still have time until feb 6th ...hopefully you will recieve ur reciept by then

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hyw:

What is the average time to get a receipt? (I am in S.F. California). Can I continue to work during the gap? Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You did not follow proper procedure. You were told to file form i-751 90 days prior to your card expiring. This would have been enough time to process the receipt so you would not be without documentation of your status. Now you understand that this is the reason ...
            Most likely You will have a gap from receiving it. USCIS is overloaded as they told you.

No you will not have to stop working etc. you will not be able to apply for anything or travel because you do not have the extension letter.

No speculation on when you will receive the extension letter.. as you have been told that the service is overextended right now due to the forms price increase in July.

Comment

Thanks 4now for your reply. What do you mean by "You will not have to stop working?" If I have a gap, do I still have legal work status? I've told my human resource dept about my situation and the manager told me they might take me off from the payroll and they will have to talk to the company's immigration lawyer. I am concerned that the gap will affect my work.

Comment

no hyw u dont have to stop working bcoz ur legal and plus ur about to file even though u waited for the last moment . when the i-751 gets denied that whe u cann't work anymore, but ur ststus is still valid so u dont have to stop working and iam sure this will be the attorney's answer.just file it as soon as possible . and as i said previously just keep the card u will recieve in mail .bcoz this will proof that u filed it and the atorney know's once u file the i-751 ur status will be automatically extended for 12 more months

Comment

Mike
                  Thanks for your reply. Oops I had told my HR my situation. I should not have mentioned it to them? I thought it was good to tell them the truth. Oh no I was not thinking straight! Hope I can continue my work without a problem.

Comment

thanks for your reply. Good luck to both of us!

Comment

ur welcome , and actually if i was in ur setuation i wont mention it to them if they didn't ask me ,,i mean ur not hiding anything, ur legal and u know for a fact that u will get ur extention letter so why opening doors on ur self? i thought they asked u ,,but it's ok my friend ,,just file it and dont worry

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hyw:
                        Thanks 4now for your reply. What do you mean by "You will not have to stop working?" <span class="ev_code_RED">If I have a gap, do I still have legal work status</span>? I've told my human resource dept about my situation and the manager told me they might take me off from the payroll and they will have to talk to the company's immigration lawyer. I am concerned that the gap will affect my work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes you should be concerned.
                        No you will not have a legal status after Feb 6, 2008 until you get that receipt notice extending your status. Your manager is correct .. they may have to take you off the payroll until you have valid documents to support the I-9. Once Feb 6 comes and you have not received the extension.. you are toast until you receive it.

I cannot imagaine why you mentioned this to your manager. and why didnt you apply 90 days before the expiration as you were instructed?

The company will have to protect its position.

Comment

thanks for all your replies!
                          One more question: can I use my good friend's home address as my mailing address on the application form? The rental lease of our apt is due this July. We are not sure if we will renew our lease and I don't know if I will receive my permanent card by then. That's why I don't want to use our current address. My husband said using my friend's address does not make sense, it seems a red flag because that could imply we don't live together?

Comment

thats true ..dont mess it up at the end man, when u get ur green card then change whatever u want ,i dont think it will be a crime but it wont look good either ,,and plus u will have to change the address with the immigrattion form (AR-11) ,,and they may send it to the wrong address , u never know...so my advice dont

Comment

Thanks Mike. I decided to use our current address as the mailing address at the last minute! And I finally mailed the whole documents to USCIS this morning...express mail (guaranteed to be in tomorrow and signature is required!) Oh by the way, my HR manager just told me I am okay to continue working during the gap. Just tell them when the new card is received. Good luck to all of us

Comment

Working...
                              X