my work permit is expired!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my work permit is expired!

I thought I was going to get the dang green card very soon,and I forgot my green card was going to expire! It has been about a month since it's expired.

Will they give me a hard time? ( I'm self employed)
    Will I have to completely apply for a new work permit or can I still walk in with the expired one and renew it?

I thought I was going to get the dang green card very soon,and I forgot my green card was going to expire! It has been about a month since it's expired.

Will they give me a hard time? ( I'm self employed)
    Will I have to completely apply for a new work permit or can I still walk in with the expired one and renew it?

Comment

If your EAD expired, file an I-765 to renew it. It will take about 90 days to get a new EAD. Until you do, you can not work legally in the US.

Comment

What is EAD based on?
        What is your current status?
        Do you have valid SS without restrictions and DL and permission to remain in this country?

Also, if you know you have right to be here and file for EAD, the Notice of Action form ( receipt) should serve as a substitute of EAD for the duration of adjudication of your EAD application, but such period shall not exceed 90 days.
        If latter occurs, I beleive you can go to local INS office and ask for issueance of EAD in person.

Finally, if you are self-employed why you are conserned about getting a 'hard time'?
        You mean income wise, as relates to 'Affidavit of Support'?
        Are you self-petitioning?

You have posted to little info. to give you more accurate answer.

Good Luck,
        E.

Comment

Here is more info:

My EAD is based on marriage to a US cittizen and my AOS is being processed.

I currently have a valid DL and the SSN without restrictions.

I'm the only person working and supporting my family.

Thanks!

Comment

How is it possible that you have no GC?
            First, you get a stamp, and before it is expired you get the actual card.
            Why didn't you?

Assuming you did everything right and the processing delay is not your fault, you can work using your DL and SS, unless your right to be present and work here is revoked.

In the meantime, apply for EAD, as it will serve like ID in case you need any, and use the copy of Notice of Action (receipt) as additional evidence to protect your right to work for duration of period while your app. is adjudicated.

If it is past 90 days and you still have no GC/EAD, then you can go to nearest Imm. office and request the EAD document in person.

Good Luck,
            E.

Comment

Working...
            X