6 years and still no GC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 years and still no GC

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get around all of the red tape. I have been married to my husband now for 6 years, my temporary green card expired in Aug 2002 and I can't get the INS (either via their website, the hotline, in person at their offices, or on the phone to the processing center) to give me any idea when they will process it. And if they ever intent to?

Has anyone been in this situation? Do you have any advice.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get around all of the red tape. I have been married to my husband now for 6 years, my temporary green card expired in Aug 2002 and I can't get the INS (either via their website, the hotline, in person at their offices, or on the phone to the processing center) to give me any idea when they will process it. And if they ever intent to?

Has anyone been in this situation? Do you have any advice.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comment

I don't want to scare you, but I think there is a time limit you can apply for your permanent green card after your conditional gc expires. If your conditional gc expired in 2002, you may be in serious trouble...I know it's somewhere on the INS website.

Comment

Here's is the link Sharon and the important part that would be relevant to you.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond.htm

What if I am Late in Applying to Remove the Conditions on Residence?
        If you fail to properly file the Form I-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence) within the 90-day period before your second anniversary as a conditional resident, your conditional resident status will automatically be terminated and the USCIS will order removal proceedings against you. You will receive a notice from the USCIS telling you that you have failed to remove the conditions, and you will also receive a Notice to Appear at a hearing. At the hearing you may review and rebut the evidence against you. You are responsible for proving that you complied with the requirements (the USCIS is not responsible for proving that you did not comply with the requirements).

Comment

Have you tried to make an InfoPass appointment?
          This would allow you a few minutes to talk to someone, but am not sure how helpful it will be.

Why did you wait so long?

You might need a lawyer at this point.

Good luck!

Comment

It may help if you share what you have done to "get USCIS to process it". If married less than two years when adjusting status, the green card issued is conditional and valid for two years. The conditions are to be removed 90 days prior to the date the card expires. Form I751 is the petition submitted along with the required fee and the supporting evidence to request that conditions be removed. USCIS is very clear that they do not send a reminder to the immigrant. Did you send in Form I751 some time between late May/early June and August 2002? Did you receive confirmation that the petition had been received? Have you since moved and failed to advise USCIS of your new address?
            The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

Thanks for the post Angelo, we did file to have the conditions removed and they sent me a receipt for the Form I-751.

We have moved, but I've sent them a change of address form each time.

They stamp my passport each time that I go to the office, but it is becoming a hassle to go every year to get a stamp so that I can travel and work. And in the end I am wondering when this is going to end.

I am thinking that it is time for a lawyer, perhaps they will have more luck getting a response from the INS.

Comment

You filed the I-751 timely? Have you called your congressman's office to see if they would check on it for you?

Comment

Hi Still Learning,

Yes we filed the I751 immediately. There aren't any problems with the paper work.

We were toying with the idea of contacting our congressman, but we weren't sure. I guess we should go ahead and do that.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X