SS card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS card

Can anybody let us know how does one receive his/her Social security Card once legally admitted into the US and how long does it take?
    During the submission of DS-2032 forms to the embassy,I was asked to apply for the same by checking a box.

Can anybody let us know how does one receive his/her Social security Card once legally admitted into the US and how long does it take?
    During the submission of DS-2032 forms to the embassy,I was asked to apply for the same by checking a box.

Comment

After arrival visit local Social Security office and apply for the card. Have ID with proof of permanent residency.

Comment

You can not get a Social Security card unless you have valid employment authorization AND a job.

Gone are the days when they gave out SS#'s to anyone upon request.

Comment

Assuming that Mus meant Form DS-230 Part II (not DS-2032), he/she will be arriving as a permanent resident with inherent authorization to work and entitlement to SSN.

Comment

You do not need a job to get a SS card. But you need to be a legal alien. Now they have more strict rules but I got mine in mail within 14 days. How I did it - I went to SS branch office, I filled the application and I proved my identity with my passport (in which I had my immigrant visa stamped by the port of entry = equal to green card). That as all, no problems occured.
            P.S. I also checked the box at the embassy (I filled the same form as you) but nothing happened for 5 months so I filled my application separately. Than I called the SS hotline and they told me better to go to the branch office - this was the way to go.
            Good luck!!!
            さん,がんばれ!

Comment

I believe this is the difference in our interpreations:

An alien admitted as an immigrant is eligible to recieve an SS card without a job and can apply for one as soon as they enter the U.S. or obtain the green card. I am not sure about the period in which they are pending and get an EAD.

An alien in non-immigrant status must have employment authorization AND a job offer in order to obtain an SS number.

Comment

AND a job offer
                Sugarpuff, could you be so kind to give a reference for the above?

Comment

here you go

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10181.html

Comment

Thank you for the link, Sugarpuff. The job offer appears to be required only for F-1 students employed on campus. For others, EAD is sufficient. Correct me if I am wrong (with reference, of course).

Comment

When you apply for a SS card, they give you a letter which states that you have applied for the card and it will arrive within a two week period. This letter is given to the employer and you can go ahead and work. (If you have a GC your card comes through with no notations, otherwise there is a notation that authorization is needed before one can work.)The SS# is yours and when your circumstances change, the notation is taken off the card. You keep the same number.

You can also apply for credit - nothing on the credit report states whether the card # is notated or not.And it can go on from there...

Comment

You do not need a job for a SS card , you do need your work authorization . They will confirm you status with Homeland Security and then issue you a card that says that the card is good for work purposes only.

Comment

Since 1966, I have never had an employer ask me for the actual cards - Just the SS# and never the actual card.

FAFSA did request information from Homeland security about my daughter (to determine A#), but homeland security could not confirm anything - so they went ahead.

I do not know anyone who has had to show their actual SS card - after years, many Americans and others have lost or misplaced them. They just write down the number.

Comment

"Since 1966, I have never had an employer ask me for the actual cards - Just the SS# and never the actual card."

That's all right. Because the requirement to have I-9 for every employee was in effect starting November 6, 1986.

"I do not know anyone who has had to show their actual SS card - after years, many Americans and others have lost or misplaced them. They just write down the number."

That is true for many circumstances but not for all. If you look at Form I-9 (http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/i-9.pdf), you'll see the documents or their combinations for verification of employment eligibility. One of them is an actual SS card without restrictions (#1 in List C). In fact, that was what I presented to my employer along with Driver's License.

Comment

Albiot,

In response to your question The job offer appears to be required only for F-1 students employed on campus. For others, EAD is sufficient.

Yes, that is the way it is supposed to work. I can tell you though that if an F-1, M-1 and J-1 student go to social security at the same time there is a high probability that all will be asked for letters of employment.

Also, F, M J, H L non immigrants do not receive an EAD. Work authorization is inherent to their visa status.

Comment

Working...
                              X