>the
    >US due to me having to take summer classes in order to be able to do
    >external exams and thus get accepted into American universities.I am at a
    >university in canada right now.I want to return to the US next year.My
    >green
    >card expires in 2009.What do you think i should do?If i apply for the SB-1
    >visa what reasons should i give them for the ties to the US etc.I just
    >turned 18 and have no job so i cannot pay them taxes either.I was in Dubai
    >from 2002-2006.My last visit to the US was in april 2002 and i got a valid re-enty permit that expired in december 2005 .Now i am presently in Canada at a canadian university.Do you think it would be better for me to enter the US through the Us-Canada border as i am in Canada right now.I still have a valid green card till august 2009.
    >
    >
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >
    >
    >Raza Ansari

I am a greencard holder since 1999 and i got it through the dv lottery.I
    >was 12 years old back then.Now i am 18 years old.I travelled to the US in
    >1999 twice and then 2002.Me and my family obtained the re-entry permits
    >twice since 1999.My brother died in the US in 1999 also.I had a deadline
    >date for my re-entry permit till 18th december but i could not return to
    >the
    >US due to me having to take summer classes in order to be able to do
    >external exams and thus get accepted into American universities.I am at a
    >university in canada right now.I want to return to the US next year.My
    >green
    >card expires in 2009.What do you think i should do?If i apply for the SB-1
    >visa what reasons should i give them for the ties to the US etc.I just
    >turned 18 and have no job so i cannot pay them taxes either.I was in Dubai
    >from 2002-2006.My last visit to the US was in april 2002 and i got a valid re-enty permit that expired in december 2005 .Now i am presently in Canada at a canadian university.Do you think it would be better for me to enter the US through the Us-Canada border as i am in Canada right now.I still have a valid green card till august 2009.
    >
    >
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >
    >
    >Raza Ansari

Comment

It appears that you abandoned your permanent resident status by being absent from the US for more than one year and not having valid reentry permit. The fact that your Green Card reads that it's valid til 2009 is irrelevant.

You can try to obtain SB-1 visa, but your situation is not convincing enough to have a chance for success.

Comment

I know that about the sb-1 visa but it is a very risky one that i am sure i will get rejected off.I just need to somehow get into the US and get my status readjusted but i am not sure if i would gain entry through the us-canada border.Please advise me what to do next because i think once u get ur sb-1 visa rejected they take ur green card right away and cancel your permanent residence.Thanks

Comment

Hey i think i have a pretty good tie to the US as i have relatives in numerous numbers in the US and also my brother who died is buried in the US.What do u advise me to do now please respond as early as possible as i have to attend an american univerity at florida.

Comment

CoolRaz: The bottom line is that you have abandoned your permanent residency in the United States. I don't think that you have any real chance of obtaining an SB-1 visa. You can't just "somehow get into" America.

Your Greencard is INVALID, regardless of its stated expiration date.

Your best bet, albeit one with little chance of successs - given the presumption of immigrant intent - is to apply for an F-1 student visa.

Comment

But F-1 is the student visa for the US but i am a permanent resident of the US so why should i apply for a F-1 visa??????? I still dont understand the F-1 student visa optin could you please explain it in details?????Do you think i could give it a shot at the Us-Canada border Niagara Falls???Also there are some borders where I heard they dont even check anything a drivers liscence is pretty good to get into the US from Canada.So if you could kindly clarify the F-1 student visa for me???? Thanks.

Comment

CoolRaz: With all due respect, dude, but are you sure that you're intelligent enough to be a university student? How many times must you be told - and not just by me - that you are NOT a permanent resident anymore.

If you believe that you're a permanent resident, then why are you asking this question? Just submit an application for entry to the United States at your closest port-of-entry.

Comment

Sunny devil man what do u think i am at University of Toronto which ranks like number 15 in North America.Man im just tryin to avoid hasseles of going through the sb-1 visa.Sorry for the harsh words if i may have used them but all i am trying to say is that is there an easy way out of all this in order to be a permanent resident again????

Comment

so what do u ppl think is there an easer way out?????????Plz Help.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">so what do u ppl think is there an easer way out?????????Plz Help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why can't you follow the proper channels and do things legally, instead of looking for an easy way out of your mistake?

Comment

of course i am going to do things legally if u do something illegally u have a chance of never entering US ever again.so im asking an easier LEGAL way out.Thanks

Comment

according to sundevil's comments what they say are to "APPLY FOR A F-1 VISA"which would mean i enter us on a student visa and then get my previous status readjusted .This is what i call illegal doing 2 cases and a huge fraud with the us government.

Comment

CoolRaz: Right now, the situation is that you have abandoned your permanent residency. In other words, you are NO LONGER a permanent resident.

Therefore, in order to attend an American university, you will require an F-1 student visa. This likely will be difficult for you to obtain, given your previous status as a permanent resident...and your obvious intent to regain permanent residency status.

Should you obtain an F-1 visa, however, you will be able to attend the university that issued your I-20 document (the document that you will need to obtain an F-1 visa).

In order to regain permanent residency status, you will need to be sponsored. It is legal for you to apply for permanent residency again, so long as you have a valid sponsor. Said sponsor could be an eligible family member or a prospective employer. (You should be aware that, if you are admitted to America in F-1 status, you will NOT be eligible to work). You cannot get your "previous status readjusted."

Comment

Yea thanks sundevil man i got what you mean.so i wud be like me applyin fresh and being an international student if enrolled at an american university thus paying international fees at the university.this wud also mean that internationals cannot work i think until they obtain their work permits.

Comment

Working...
                              X