Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do- it-yourself Immigration kits?!

My mother's father in the U.S who is a citizen is finally going to file for my mother and us(her kids). My question is after the main petition,Biograpchic info,Medical exam forms are filed do we mail all other documents at the same time and the same place for eg. the adjustment of status forms, employeement authorization forms? What I want to know is if she hasn't even gotten a green card yet is it necessarry to mail those two forms in paticular when the petition is being sent off or are those mailed afterwards when she is granted a green card? Also my mother was the one who got the immigration e-kit so is she to fill in her Biographical information and then send the petition to my grandfather whom is filing for her so he can finish the rest?

My mother's father in the U.S who is a citizen is finally going to file for my mother and us(her kids). My question is after the main petition,Biograpchic info,Medical exam forms are filed do we mail all other documents at the same time and the same place for eg. the adjustment of status forms, employeement authorization forms? What I want to know is if she hasn't even gotten a green card yet is it necessarry to mail those two forms in paticular when the petition is being sent off or are those mailed afterwards when she is granted a green card? Also my mother was the one who got the immigration e-kit so is she to fill in her Biographical information and then send the petition to my grandfather whom is filing for her so he can finish the rest?

Comment

cecil,

1. petitioner, your grandfather, petitions for daughter by filling I-130

2. petition is approved by USCIS and sent to NVC

3."NVC provides instructions to petitioners and sponsors, and receives from sponsors, the required Affidavit of Support forms, fees, other required documents, and much more. For numerically limited family preference petitions, NVC contacts the petitioner once the petition's immigration wait nears end, and the priority date is about to come current."

The number of immigrant visa issued to daughters or sons of USC per year is numerically limited. At the moment, the wait is about 5 years for the priority date (date your grandfather filed the petiton) to become current (there is a visa available for your mother).

4. After NVC sends out and receives back documents and payments, the file is sent to the consulate in your contry (this is going on in year 2011 or so)

5. Consulate contacts your mother with further instructions, including where to do medical exam...and schedules an interview.

6. If everything goes well, your mother gets an immigrant visa (we are now in year 2011/2012/2013)

7. After your mother enters the US, she receives green card.

Adjustment of status is only for the people who are in the USA when the visa becomes available. My understanding is that your mother is not in the US. So, she'll go through consular processing instead of adjustment of status. Since she should receive green card shortly after she enters the US with immigrant visa, she doesn't need to apply for Employment authorisation document.

The above is a process in a few steps. And here are some links

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...ants_1340.html
      http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bu...etin_3086.html

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb9...CM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation