Exploitation by spouse while awaiting I-751 approval

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploitation by spouse while awaiting I-751 approval

I have a quick question. A friend of mine is waiting for his green card for the I751. He married a woman that he had dated off and on again with the idea of establishing a traditional marriage. Of course, getting his residency was also part of the motivation.

For sometime, everything was going ok. They got along really well and he was even talking about adopting her child. Only recently, she started openly cheating on him and shamelessly bringing her "friend" into the house. She has also stopped paying her share of the bills and she quit her job because she was "sick". It breaks my heart to see my friend being exploited and I am sure that the word "blackmail" has never been used.

At the same time, she knows that he has him in a difficult position. Whenever I mention that he should see an immigration lawyer, he tells me not to bring up the matter and that it will pass.

I am hoping that someone with a similar experience can give me advice. I am afraid that I might be encouraging him to react when not reacting really is the best option. It is a very sad situation.

I have a quick question. A friend of mine is waiting for his green card for the I751. He married a woman that he had dated off and on again with the idea of establishing a traditional marriage. Of course, getting his residency was also part of the motivation.

For sometime, everything was going ok. They got along really well and he was even talking about adopting her child. Only recently, she started openly cheating on him and shamelessly bringing her "friend" into the house. She has also stopped paying her share of the bills and she quit her job because she was "sick". It breaks my heart to see my friend being exploited and I am sure that the word "blackmail" has never been used.

At the same time, she knows that he has him in a difficult position. Whenever I mention that he should see an immigration lawyer, he tells me not to bring up the matter and that it will pass.

I am hoping that someone with a similar experience can give me advice. I am afraid that I might be encouraging him to react when not reacting really is the best option. It is a very sad situation.

Comment

Please do a search an this forum by all the posts posted by me, Aguila, ARQU, and JohnDoe.

You will find plenty of information!

Comment

Hi there

Few quick questions while I try to find those links...

Did he file I – 751 ?

What's his service center ?

How long he has been waiting for approval of I 751 if its in process ?

Comment

HERE THEY ARE...

http://discuss.ilw.com/eve/forums?a=...01#14010348901

Comment

You say that his motivations were getting his greencard and getting a wife. Which one was dominant? Was it: "I'm going to marry the woman I love and I'll pick up a greencard on the way." Or was it: I'm going to get a greencard and I'll pick up a wife on the way." I'm just curious.
            Have a nice day

Comment

Oh give me a break; what a bunch of baloney; you people deserve to be exploited

Comment

Evgenyk,

If you really love your friend, I would suggest that you encourage him to hang in until the interview is over. As he said, it will be over one day. After all she will realize that her childish behavior was not worth a thing.

It's unfortunate that people try to take advantage of situations like that. If I were your friend, I would consider it as the price to pay for it. Once everything is over, I will restart my life and move on.

Cisse.

Comment

The real question is you stated that he is waiting for his green card from the I-751...in that case he has been approved to be a LPR. Great, if this is the case, maybe he can move his own friend into the house. If he has already been approved then no sweat, once that GC is in his hands...goodbye wife!

Comment

Es tut mir leid, Herr Lightbulb. I cannot feed your curiosity since I am not a mind-reader and I cannot tell you about his priorities nor how he defines the very subjective definition of love. I do know that it was his long term goal (forever(?)) to stay married and form a family with this "lady." He still had several years left after he renwed his H1B1 Visa and there was no sense of urgency when he married. He was never illegal in this country.

On the other hand, people from his region have a reputation for being quite dry and analytical when it comes to love.

From reading the posts referenced above, I think there are a lot of people with simple minds out there that turn nasty (correct michael?), into lazy cows, or both when they realize that they have the freedom to do so...

He does have a great deal of support from his wife's family. But, they have not really communicated with him about the obvious exploitation, most likely out of shame.

I am going to tell him to stay calm since he is waiting for final approval of his I751 after he received the NOA in febraury and I will keep my opinions to a minimum about his wife.

Thanks for the supportive responses.

Comment

Working...
                    X