Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE FLEECING OF AMERICA

This is a note taken from Spirit of Aztlan. [

YA BASTA - STOP the ATTACKS on IMMIGRANTS !!

Si Se Puede !!!! "No Aparthed in USA" "Full Amnesty"

It's far from over Gente !!!!

"KEEP THOSE CALLS GOING IT WORKS"

Not Good Enough - Permanent Residence for Present & Future
    Immigrants !!!!

Nada half ***, stop the BS... Make those calls !!!

THE BIG HOUSE in DC (202) 224-3121 ( Congress)

www.house.gov / www.senate.gov

or Brown House202) 456-1111 or president@whitehouse.gov

"Secure Fence Act of 2006" On 10/26/06 the President signs it into law.

The vote was 80-19, 26 of them were Democrates $6 Billion Dls for 700 Miles of fence, Leaving 1,300 uncovered and less not speak about NO fence to protect our northern borders !!!!

Did you know that both Presidential Candidates Obama and Clinton also voted for the "Secure Fence Act of 2006" Where's all the love they speak about for our Gente !!! Open your eyes Gente to the Truth about these folks get involved, like NOW......

Guess What now we have" Immigration Enforcement and Border Security Act of 2007 (S1984) worse then the first one, and now add on the SSA working with DHS on this no-match letters to discriminate against employers.

Call those Senators, remind them that we aren't going away..

Call toll free to 1-888732-9404 or Sara Ibrahim at 1-202-483-6839

If you have alittle time why not send a word to the New "Speaker of the House" Nancy Pelosi at sf.nancy@us.mail.gov & New Chairperson of the Judiciary Committee Hon John Conyers at www.house.gov/writerep/

We need to express ourselves clearly now more than ever, that things can't continue as usual or things won't be as usual come2008... Well let's see, con que mas salen... Well they must have heard us !!!
    www.dscc.org/makedifference/petitions/010307-congratulations.htm

Para informacion in espanol - gobiernousa.gov

or 1-800-333-4636

NO QUE NO

It works gente, we should all be proud of what we've done.

Now the real test comes, let's see if the New Demo's can see the light , si no - you got to go, where we don't care just get the hell away from us !!!

Don't Worry about this last Bill. It smelled so bad even they couldn't stand it. We Won Gente - Round 4, here we go again!!!

The new mess is called the STRIVE Act, another loser for our Gente. Come on folks you can do better then this mess !!!

MAKE those Calls - STOP the raids on our Communities NOW

We all need to step-up and say YA BASTA, con estos pendejos harassing our familias. MAKE those Calls, they do LISTEN......

Call now in support of "Child Citizen Protection Act" HR1176

Call the Congressional Switchboard at (202) 224-3121

More info on the Bill call (202) 225-4361 Congressman Serrano office.

On 12/18/06 it will be now known as "International Migrant Day"

For more info go call Colin Rajah at (510) 465-1984 x306

or crajah@nnirr.org

"YA BASTA"

-LOU DOBBS- Enough of este pendejo, time to call the FCC Chairman Kevin Martin at (202) 418 -1000 & VP at Time Warner Mr Edward Adler at (212) 484-8000

Also send Mr Dobbs your own thoughts at http:www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form5.html

"ENOUGH"

Keep those Calls Up !!!

Another pendejo "The Savage Nation" Known at Michael Wiener. A new coalition called "Hate Hurts America Coalition"

Is taking up the fight against this Radio Host.

Call the radio station and Boycott there products and ask to have him removed or suffer the wrath of La Gente...

####################################

La Coalicion Para La Justicia Por Los Immigrants

Stay tuned for upcoming meets to plan May1st, 08 In support of our Bro/Sisters in Mexico y Ague (USA) It's not over till we say it's over "Unidos Siempre" "STOP the Murdering of Activist (Teahers) in Oaxaca" Call back the Federal Troops

E-Mail to felipecalderon@presidencia.gob.mx

For more info call Al Rojas at (916) 712-4251 or nadm916@aol.com Keep alert for actions at Mexiacn Consulate.

Never forgetting our gente en Atenco and the struggle that continues..

##########################

Nationwide Task Force to register RAZA. NALEO & NCLR and many others in the Media world, have luanched this campaign called "Ve Y Vota" To find out more , call 888-Vey Y Vota

LATINO VOTER REG TASK FORCE

Let's make it Happen Raza, if not now when !!!

To get more involved call Baldamar at (916) 876-6688

The Latino Task Force will meet to discuss future plans for next year projects.

Mtg will be at the HART Ctr TBA at 915 27th St 5-6pm

"ADELANTE JUNTOS PARA CAMBIO"

Postponed at this time, a Rock the Vote event is in the planning for some time in the Spring 08 Call if interested in helping out with this event.... It's vital that we get the vote out in 2008, we can change the world, either you vote or shut the hell-up..... www.co.sacramento.ca.us/elections/ENG/voting-info/index.html

or www.saccounty.net/elections also in Spanish at (916) 876-6688 and in English at (916) 875-6451 Presidential Primary Elections 2/5/08

http://www.chicano.cc/frameset.html

PLEASE NOT THE WORD "IMMIGRANT" IS A DECEPTIVE TACTIC USED TO AID AND ABET THOSE WHO ACCORDING TO US LAW ARE "ILLEGAL ALIENS, ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS" AND ELIGIBLE FOR DEPORTATION

Yes many usc are confused with this. I saw this term being used in a recent posted article . it is meant to confuse people to take the focus away from an illegal matter and try to make it a racial/ethnic matter. It should be called on the carpet at every chance when it is written.

Comment

Originally posted by 4now:
      <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">PLEASE NOT THE WORD "IMMIGRANT" IS A DECEPTIVE TACTIC USED TO AID AND ABET THOSE WHO ACCORDING TO US LAW ARE "ILLEGAL ALIENS, ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS" AND ELIGIBLE FOR DEPORTATION

Yes many usc are confused with this. I saw this term being used in a recent posted article . it is meant to confuse people to take the focus away from an illegal matter and try to make it a racial/ethnic matter. It should be called on the carpet at every chance when it is written. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the ethnocentric groups such as "The Race" who deliberately and perpetually attempt to confuse the two. Then to it's not purely coincidental because all Mexican Americans have dual citizenship and a lot of them have illegal alien friends, family and spouse who are expecting amnesty for all of their criminal friends and familia. A lot of them participated in the marches here in Chicago as well. They actually had toddlers carrying signs that said "Today We March Tomorrow We Vote".

Who do you think made the signs for the anchor babies? Surely not their illiterate non-English speaking "mothers".

There is a Mexican girl at our firm (who cleans the kitchen)that is married to an illegal alien who had the nerve to get really ugly one day because we were cheering when ICE finally deported Elvira Arellano. The attorneys in my office looked at her like she was insane, needless to say, so did everybody else.

O/T: Love your new Avatar!
      Wolves Travel In Packs

Comment

"Immigrants" rally in Salem as new license rules begin

Save a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.comSave a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.com

http://media.katu.com/images/080204drivers_noon.jpg

Story Published: Feb 4, 2008 at 1:17 PM PST

Story Updated: Feb 4, 2008 at 4:17 PM PST
        By JOSEPH B. FRAZIER Associated Press Writer
        Video

SALEM, Ore. (AP) - About 500 Hispanics marched around the state Capitol Monday to protest tighter rules for getting driver's licenses as sign-bearing advocates for even tighter rules watched from the Capitol steps.

The Legislature is considering a bill that would codify an executive order issued last month by Gov. Ted Kulongoski that requires proof of legal residence in the United States to get an Oregon license, effective Monday.

Hispanics who participated in the march don't like the order signed by Kulongoski, and are concerned legislators could tighten restrictions on getting drivers' licenses even further.

It is not yet clear exactly what the bill will be that reaches the Legislature during the short annual session. The Senate Transportation Committee holds the first hearing Tuesday evening.

But many in the march said they were worried.

"If we can't get licenses, we can't get insurance, nobody will hire us," said Sergio Blandon, 32, who lives near Gervais and declined to discuss his immigration status. "Well, then who will drive the trucks? Them?" he asked gesturing to people on the steps.

"People are going to keep coming here anyway," Blandon said. "If they can't work or drive, then what will they do?"

A man who came to the Woodburn area from the impoverished southern state of Oaxaca 18 years ago and declined to give his name because he is undocumented, drives workers to and from the fields and had similar worries.

"I can't keep my job. If my children get sick can I take them to the clinic?" he asked.

People on the other side of the argument were handing out petitions asking for support of an initiative to pass even stricter laws that would, among other things, allow police to work with immigration officials when they stop an undocumented, unlicensed driver.

"I support the ideals of the petitions," said Roy Duncan of Keizer from the Capitol steps.

He said he was not moved by the problem of insuring drivers with no licenses.

"Most of them don't have insurance, or then get it and then cancel it, or that's what I hear," Duncan said.

It is one of the more emotional issues this legislative session is likely to tackle. Oregon is one of only a handful of states that does not require proof of legal residence. Washington is another.

People who favor tight restrictions contend that makes Oregon a magnet for illegal immigrants. Their numbers in the state are uncertain, but some estimates put it at around 100,000, about a third of the Hispanic population.

"I'm not anti-immigrant," said Dorene Huff of Scio. "If I came (from Mexico) I'd do what they're doing, But it's a snake pit in there," she said gesturing to the doors of the Capitol.

"I would like legal identification, period. All immigrants should be legal. I resent having to press '1' to speak English. This is my country. If I moved to Mexico I would learn Spanish. I'm not radical, I'm just tired."

Ramon Ramirez, who heads Oregon's farmworkers union, said he would like Kulongoski to rescind his order until the Legislature acts. "It makes no sense to change the law twice," he said.

Kulongoski has said he could support a two-tiered license system with one document used for driving only and one for valid ID. But legislative leaders say there is no support for that system this session. Only Utah has it, where about 35,000 of the alternate permits have been issued. State figures there indicate more than 70 percent of those who have them are insured, slightly below the percentage for state's regularly licensed drivers.

Until Monday immigrants, regardless of status, could apply for a license using a certificate from the Mexican Consulate. That ended Monday under Kulongoski's order.

Nick Smith, a spokesman for the House Republicans, said the legislative proposal is intended to erase doubts about the legality of that order.

He said anything the Legislature passes likely will not bring Oregon into full compliance with the federal REAL ID act, which seeks to standardize identification that can be used to board airliners and enter some federal buildings.

But he said the Oregon requirement for a verifiable Social Security number is a first step.

Oregon has said it will ask for an extension to meet the federal REAL ID deadline, set for this spring.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

http://www.katu.com/news/15283481.html

Comment

The Takeover of America

CD Produced by the California Coalition for Immigration Reform

Disturbing George W. Bush Babble
          Listen to the first 90 seconds of audio from a 5 minute video appeal Bush made in either 1998 or 2000 as his outreach to Hispanic voters. Click above headline to download the MP3 audio file. This clip is not on the popular CCIR CD of other audio clips featuring many Mexican Reconquista subversives like Art Torres and Armando Navarro (clipds appear below).

The California Coalition for Immigration Reform (CCIR) produced a CD with excerpts of radical, racist speeches by fifteen Latino elected officials, professors, students and community activists, with additional comments by Congressman Tom Tancredo, L.A. Talk Show Host Larry Elder, former CA Governor Gray Davis -- ending with disturbing chants by MEChA students. [You may download each individual clip in mp3 format. A link is provided at the end of each individual transcript for your convenience].

These are the verbatim transcripts:

1) Armando Navarro, Prof. Ethnic Studies, UC Riverside at Latino Summit Response to Prop 187, UC Riverside, 1/1995
          "These are the critical years for us as a Latino community. We're in a state of transition. And that transformation is called 'the browning of America'. Latinos are now becoming the majority. Because I know that time and history is on the side of the Chicano/Latino community. It is changing in the future and in the present the balance of power of this nation. It's a game - it's a game of power - who controls it. You (to MEChA students) are like the generals that command armies. We're in a state of war. This Proposition 187 is a declaration of war against the Latino/Chicano community of this country. They know the demographics. They know that history and time is on our side. As one community, as one people, as one nation within a nation as the community that we are, the Chicano/Latino community of this nation. What this means is a transfer of power. It means control."

2) Art Torres, former CA state senator, currently Chair of California Democrat Party at UC Riverside 1/1995
          "Que viva la causa! It is an honor to be with the new leadership of the Americas, here meeting at UC Riverside. So with 187 on the ballot, what is it going to take for our people to vote - to see us walking into the gas ovens? It is electoral power that is going to make the determination of where we go as a community. And power is not given to you -- you have to take it. Remember: 187 is the last gasp of white America in California. Understand that. And people say to me on the Senate floor when I was in the Senate, 'Why do you fight so hard for affirmative action programs?' And I tell my white colleagues, 'because you're going to need them.'"

3) Jose Angel Gutierrez, Prof. Univ. Texas at Arlington, founder La Raza Unida Party at UC Riverside 1/1995
          "The border remains a military zone. We remain a hunted people. Now you think you have a destiny to fulfill in the land that historically has been ours for forty thousand years. And we're a new Mestizo nation. And they want us to discuss civil rights. Civil rights. What law made by white men to oppress all of us of color, female and male. This is our homeland. We cannot - we will not- and we must not be made illegal in our own homeland. We are not immigrants that came from another country to another country. We are migrants, free to travel the length and breadth of the Americas because we belong here. We are millions. We just have to survive. We have an aging white America. They are not making babies. They are dying. It's a matter of time. The explosion is in our population."

4) Bill Richardson, New Mexico Governor, former U.S. Congressman, U.N. Ambassador, U.S. Sect'y of Energy interviewed on radio Latino USA responding to Congressional Immigration Reform legislation in 1996
          "There are changing political times where our basic foundations and programs are being attacked, illegal and legal immigration are being unfairly attacked. We have to band together, and that means Latinos in Florida, Cuban-Americans, Mexican-Americans, Puerto Ricans, South Americans, we have to network better - we have to be more politically minded, we have to put aside party and think of ourselves as Latinos, as Hispanics more than we have in the past."

5) Mario Obledo, founding member/former nat'l director of Mexican-American Legal Defense and Educational Fund (MALDEF), former CA Sect'y Health/Welfare on Tom Leykis radio talk show
          "We're going to take over all the political institutions in California. In five years the Hispanics are going to be the majority population of this state." Caller: "You also made the statement that California is going to become a Hispanic state and if anyone doesn't like it they should leave - did you say that?" Obledo: "I did. They ought to go back to Europe."

6) CCIR commentary on Mario Obledo
          When CCIR, the California Coalition for Immigration Reform, erected a billboard on the California/Arizona border reading, "WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA, THE ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION STATE", Mario Obledo, infuriated, went to the billboard location and threatened to blow it up or burn it down. Even after this threat to deny American citizens their freedom of speech,
          *President Clinton awarded Obledo the Presidential Medal of Freedom, America's highest civilian honor. CCIR question to Obledo: "Jose Angel Gutierrez said, 'We have an aging white America, they are dying, I love it.' How would you translate that statement?" Obledo: "He's a good friend of mine. A very smart person."

7) Richard Alatorre, former Los Angeles City Councilman at Latino Summit conference in Los Angeles opposing CA Prop. 209 ending affirmative action in 9/1996
          "Because our numbers are growing, they're afraid about this great mass of minorities that now live in our community. They're afraid that we're going to take over the governmental institutions and other institutions. They are right, we will take them over, and we are not going to go away - we are here to stay, and we are saying 'ya basta' (enough!) and we are going to turn... and de... not elect or re-elect people that believe that they are going to advance their political careers on the backs of immigrants and the backs of minorities."

8) Joe Baca, former CA Assemblymember, currently member of Congress at Latino Summit Response to Prop 187 UC Riverside 1/1995 and Southwest Voter Registration Project annual conference in Los Angeles, 6/1996
          "We need more Latinos out there. We must stand up and be counted. We must be together, We must be united. Because if we're not united you know what's going to happen? We're like sticks - we're broken to pieces. Divided we're not together. But as a unit they can't break us. So we've got to come together, and if we're united, si se puede (it can be done) and we will make the changes that are necessary. But we've got to do it. We've got to stand together, and dammit, don't let them divide us because that's what they want to do, is to divide us. And once we're divided we're conquered. But when we look out at the audience and we see, you know, la familia, La Raza (the family, our race), you know, it's a great feeling, isn't it a good feeling? And you know, I started to think about that and it reminded me of a book that we all read and we all heard about, you know, Paul Revere, and when he was saying, 'The British are coming, the British are coming!' Well, the Latinos are coming, the Latinos are coming! And the Latinos are going to vote. So our voices will be heard. So that's what this agenda is about. It's about insuring that we increase our numbers. That we increase our numbers at every level. We talk about the Congressional, we talk about the Senate, we talk about board of supervisors, board of education, city councils, commissions, we have got to increase out numbers because the Latinos are coming. Because what's going on right now, with 187, the CCRI (CA Civil Rights Initiative against affirmative action), and let me tell you, we can't go back, you know, we're in a civil war. But we need to be solidified, we need to come together, we must be strong, because united we form a strong body. United we become solidified, united we make a difference, united we make the changes, united Latinos will win throughout California, let's stick together, que si se puede, que no? (it can be done, right?)

9) Antonio Villaraigosa, Chair of MEChA (student wing of Aztlan movement) at UCLA, former CA assemblymember, former CA Assembly speaker, currently Los Angeles City Councilman at Southwest Voter Registration Project Conference in Los Angeles, 6/1997
          "Part of today's reality has been propositions like 187 (to deny public benefits to illegal aliens, 1994), propositions like 209 (to abolish affirmative action, 1996), the welfare reform bill, which targeted legal immigrants and targeted us as a community. That's been the midnight. We know that the sunny side of midnight has been the election of a Latino speaker - was the election of Loretta Sanchez, against an arch-conservative, reactionary hate-mongering politician like Congressman Dornan! Today in California in the legislature, we're engaged in a great debate, where not only were we talking about denying education to the children of undocumented workers, but now we're talking about whether or not we should provide prenatal care to undocumented mothers. It's not enough to elect Latino leadership. If they're supporting legislation that denies the undocumented driver's licenses, they don't belong in office, friends. They don't belong here. If they can't stand up and say, 'You know what? I'm not ever going to support a policy that denies prenatal care to the children of undocumented mothers', they don't belong here."
          Click here to download this audio clip.

10) Gloria Molina, one of the five in Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors at Southwest Voter Registration Project Conference, 6/1996
          "This community is no longer going to stand for it. Because tonight we are organizing across this country in a single mission, in a plan. We are going to organize like we've never organized before. We are going to go into our neighborhoods. We are going to register voters. We are going to talk to all of those young people that need to become registered voters and go out to vote and we're are politicizing every single one of those new citizens that are becoming citizens of this country. And what we are saying is by November we will have one million additional Latino voters in this country, and we're gonna march, and our vote is going to be important. But I gotta tell you, there's a lot of people that are saying, 'I'm gonna go out there and vote because I want to pay them back!' And this November we are going to remember those that stood with us and we are also going to remember those that have stood against us on the issues of immigration, on the issues of education, on the issues of health care, on the issues of the minimum wage."

11) Vicky Castro, former member of Los Angeles Board of Education at Southwest Voter Registration Project Conference, 6/1996
          "Que viva la raza, que viva la raza (long live our race)! I'm here to welcome all the new voters of 18 years old that we're registering now in our schools. Welcome, you're going to make a difference for Los Angeles, for San Antonio, for New York, and I thank Southwest for taking that challenge. And to the Mechistas (MEChA students) across this nation, you're going to make that difference for us, too. But when we register one more million voters I will not be the only Latina on the Board of Education of Los Angeles. And let me tell you here, no one will dismantle bilingual education in the United States of America. No one will deny an education to any child, especially Latino children. As you know, in Los Angeles we make up 70% of this school district. Of 600,000 -- 400,000 are Latinos, and our parents are not heard and they're going to be heard because in Los Angeles, San Antonio and Texas we have just classified 53,000 new citizens in one year that are going to be felt in November!"

12) Ruben Zacarias, former superintendent of Los Angeles Unified School District at Southwest Voter Registration Project Conference, 6/1997
          "We have 27 centers now throughout LAUSD. Every one of them has trained people, clerks to take the fingerprints. Each one has the camera, that special camera. We have the application forms. And I'll tell you what we've done with I.N.S. Now we're even doing the testing that usually people had to go to INS to take, and pretty soon, hopefully, we'll do the final interviews in our schools. Incidentally, I started this very quietly because there are those that if they knew that we were creating a whole new cadre of brand new citizens it would have tremendous political impact. We will change the political panorama not only of L.A., but L.A. County and the State. And we do that we've changed the panorama of the nation. I'm proud to stand here and tell you that in those close to three years we have processed a little over 78,000 brand new citizens. That is the largest citizenship program in the entire nation."

13) Ernesto Zedillo, former president of Mexico announcing the Mexican constitutional amendment allowing for dual citizenship on 6/23/97
          "I have proudly affirmed that the Mexican national extends beyond the territory enclosed by its borders, and that Mexican migrants are an important - a very important part of it. For that reason my government proposed a constitutional amendment to allow any Mexican with the right as he desires to acquire another nationality to do so without being forced to first give up his or her Mexican nationality. fortunately, the amendment was passed almost unanimously by our federal Congress and is now part of our constitution. I am also here today to tell you that we want you to take pride in what each and every one of your Mexican brothers and sisters are doing back home.

14) Augustin Cebada, Information Minister of Brown Berets, militant para-military soldiers of Aztlan shouting at U.S. citizens at an Independence Day rally in Los Angeles, 7/4/96
          "Augustin Cebada, Brown Berets, we're here today to show L.A., show the minority people here, the Anglo-Saxons, that we are here, the majority, we're here to stay. We do the work in this city, we take care of the spoiled brat children, we clean their offices, we pick the food, we do the manufacturing in the factories of L.A., we are the majority here and we are not going to be pushed around. We're here in Westwood, this is the fourth time we've been here in the last two months, to show white Anglo-Saxon Protestant L.A., the few of you who remain, that we are the majority, and we claim this land as ours, sit's always been ours, and we're still here, and none of the talk about deporting. If anyone's going to be deported it's going to be you! Go back to Simi Valley, you skunks! Go back to Woodland Hills! Go back to Boston! To back to the Plymouth Rock, Pilgrims! Get out! We are the future. You're old and tired. Go on. We have beaten you, leave like beaten rats. You old white people, it is your duty to die. Even their own ethicists say that they should die, that they have a duty to die. They're taking up too much space, too much air. We are the majority in L.A. There's over seven million Mexicans in L.A. County alone. We are the majority. And you're going to see every day more and more of it, as we manifest as our young people grow up, graduate from high school, go on to college and start taking over this society. The vast majority of our people are under the age of 15 years old. Right now we're already controlling those elections, whether it's by violence or nonviolence. Through love of having children we're going to take over." Other demonstrators: "Raza fuerza (brown race power), this is Aztlan, this is Mexico. They're the pilgrims on our land. Go back to the Nina, the Pinta, the Santa Maria."

1 5) Fabian Nunez, formerly Alliance for Immigrant Rights, political liaison for L.A. School District, currently Speaker of the CA Assembly at Latino Summit Response to Prop 187 at UC Riverside, 1/1995
          "There's only two forms of power in this country and in this world. One is economic power, We certainly don't have the economic power because we don't own the means of production, but there's another form of power, and that's the power of the masses. So you can be as revolutionary as you want, you can be Chicano nationalist, you can be Mexican-American, you can be Hispanic, you can believe in the concept of Aztlan, you can believe in the concept of multi-culturalism. Somebody can say 'Everybody here is wrong, I am the only one that has reached revolutionary completeness'. But the bottom line is that if we do not mobilize our community we are not putting together a setting - the parameters to establish a massive movement in our community. That's what this is about. And that's why I am here today - to talk about who here wants to organize the masses, and who here is interested in developing that movement that somebody earlier said that the sleeping giant is in a coma. I'll tell you that on October 16 ("Grande Marcha" against Prop. 187) 150,000 representatives from the sleeping giant were not in a coma but rather were marching down the streets of Los Angeles saying that enough is enough and we're no longer going to tolerate the racism against our community. The very essence of the dignity of our community is in danger right now. Luckily, we don't have to give our lives. We're not at that point, but we can give a little. What I would like to ask everybody here to give is not necessarily your life, but to give one moment of thought to what the importance of a national march on Washington DC in 1996 would mean for the mass movement of our community. Get ten people, ten people ready to go with us to that march to Washington DC in '96, and I guarantee you, just as we mobilized 150 (sic) people into the streets of Los Angeles on October 16, we can mobilize one million people and bring Washington to a standstill, and those rednecks that are out there making decisions for the betterment of their communities will think twice before they push forward anti-immigrant legislation against our community. And so that we can show our people that the time has come for us to come together on what brings us together instead of to sit down and ***p heads. And I tell the students in the colleges, if you're still debating the question of whether they're Chicanos or Mexicanos, or Chicano/Mexicano, we're not learning from the lessons of ten, fifteen years ago. The time has come for unity - there's too many things that separate people, but we have to begin to look at what brings us together. And so I ask everybody here, how many of you agree if we can leave here with one thing today, that in 1996 we are going to Washington DC on a mass mobilization there to bring Washington to a standstill so that they know that we're there and that we begin to put into place those things that are necessary to insure that we advance the interests of our community. Raise your hands, those of you that agree with what I'm saying."

16) Larry Elder, L.A. radio talk show host reads a letter from one of his listeners:
          "Dear Larry, I spent ten years as a cruise hostess working at sea on cruise ships all over the world, so many of my assignments were to the Mexican Riviera, going back to the destination over and over again working friendships with many of the local people working along side of us in the Mexican tourist industry. Larry, the one phrase I heard a hundred times or more was, 'When the revolution is over.' When I asked for information, always the same answer, 'When they have California back.' Young or old, it seems they grew up being taught there would be a revolution some day. Somehow they would have California back."

17) Tom Tancredo, U.S. Congressman from Colorado,, speaking on CSPAN, 6/27/2001
          "In the June 21 issue of Time Magazine, the lead story of which is titled, "AMEXICA". It describes the de facto elimination of the border between Mexico and the United States. I believe that the debate revolving around our immigration policy should reflect the fact that this phenomenon is underway. President Fox (of Mexico) yesterday stated that he came to the United States to "play a more active role in establishing the new international architecture". I believe that this new "international architecture" can be described as AMEXICA.

18) Gray Davis, former governor of California, recalled by the voters 10/2003 speaking to a Latino audience in 1999
          "In the near future, people will look at California and Mexico as one magnificent region."

19) MEChA (student wing of the Aztlan movement - motto: "For the race, everything, for those outside the race, nothing.") chants at national conference, Cal State Univ., Northridge, 6/1996
          "Viva la raza (long live our race)", "Chicano power" "We didn't cross the border, the border crossed us" "Long live the revolution" "Esta es mi tierra, esta es mi lucha (This is my land, this is my fight)"

http://www.ccir.net/AUDIO/TakeoverOfAmericaCD/Menu.html

*With the exception of (Gray Davis the only non-hispanic), these are all DUAL CITIZENS primarily from Mexico who have weasled their way into the fabric of our government with predisposed intentions of destroying US on behalf of Mexico.
          Wolves Travel In Packs

Comment

Latin America aid spike

President Bush's proposed budget for fiscal year 2009 contains $2.7 billion in overall aid to Latin America, a 25% increase compared with 2007. Adam Isacson, a researcher at Center for International Policy think tank in Washington, says the bad news is that most of the increase comes in the form of military and police aid and "not economic development or institution-building aid."

Mexico for example would receive $328 million in miltary aid in '09 on top of $367 million this year, or nearly 10 times what it was getting in 2007. It's all part of Bush's so-called Merida Initiative, or "Plan Mexico," to help fight drug traffickers.

Central America potentially is another big winner. If Congress approves, the region would get $544 million in overall aid in 2009, up from $355 million in 2007. The military part of that would be more than $86 million, or nearly six times what the region is getting this current fiscal year.

The administration's focus on combating Central American gangs such as the Mara Salvatrucha is the big reason for the increase. (The Associated Press photo at left shows hooded Mexico CIty police arresting drug trafficking suspects on Jan. 20)

--Chris Kraul in Bogota

February 04, 2008 | Permalink
            http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lapl...america-a.html
            Wolves Travel In Packs

Comment

Local 2 Investigates Safety Of Mexican Trucks
              Critics Claim Safety At Stake; By Robert Arnold

POSTED: 2:06 pm CST February 4, 2008
              UPDATED: 8:31 am CST February 5, 2008

HOUSTON -- On a Thursday morning in Laredo, hundreds of Mexican trucks wait to cross the border. With every truck that crosses into Texas, critics worry about safety.

"They have a notorious reputation for having unsafe vehicles that pollute the air," said U.S. Rep. Ted Poe.

That's why most Mexican trucks are confined to what's called a commercial zone.

Mexican truckers are only allowed to drive 25 miles or less into the United States before an American trucker picks up the load and takes it on to its destination.

That is now changing under a new federal program that allows a handful of Mexican companies to drive their trucks beyond the commercial zone and travel throughout the United States.

"If you look at any of them you're going to find violations -- brakes, springs, cracked suspensions," said Todd Spencer, executive vice president of the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association.

"Many of those trucks will come through the Houston area before they go east," said Poe.

The concern from both Congress and the industry is there are not enough inspectors to make sure Mexican trucks and drivers are safe to be on our roads.

Local 2 Investigates examined the numbers. Out of the millions of Mexican trucks crossing into Texas each year, only 4 to 7 percent receive any kind of inspection from the either federal or state inspectors. Even with such a small number of inspections, out of all the trucking violations handed out in Texas during the past five years, more than half were found on Mexican trucks.

A lot of factors go into determining which of these trucks go for inspection and which ones don't, such as weather or company history. Another way is through pre-filing. One hour before Mexican trucks hit our border the company in Mexico has to file paperwork explaining what the cargo is and who the driver is. If it is hazardous cargo, that paperwork has to be filed 24 hours in advance.

Remember, all this applies just to the Mexican trucks confined to the commercial zone.

"Now we're having and adding thousands more because they're going to be able to go throughout the hinterlands of the United States and they can't be inspected," said Poe.

To allay these fears, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration promised to thoroughly inspect every Mexican truck that's allowed travel beyond the commercial zone. Our cameras were there for one of those inspections at the Laredo crossing. It is a blistering thorough inspection, but it's a process that takes about 40 minutes per truck.

While only a handful of Mexican companies are allowed to travel beyond the commercial zone now, dozens more have lined up to apply for the program.

"We haven't had a level playing field in terms of enforcement," said Spencer.

The Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association has filed a federal lawsuit to stop this program. The suit claims inspectors have found serious violations on Mexican trucks, but continue to allow the trucks to drive on our roads beyond the commercial zone.

"We were kind of stunned when we looked at the data that they were finding when they checked the trucks from Mexico," said Spencer.

The federal government claims the association is exaggerating the number and types of violations found. As an extra layer of safety, federal inspectors traveled to Mexico to examine company records on both the trucks and drivers before those companies were allowed into the program.

"That's a joke and it's really, really a sick joke," said Spencer.

Spencer and the president of the Texas Motor Transportation Association, John Esparza, argue there is not enough information on the Mexican side of the border to make any kind of assurances.

"We're going to have to, as an industry, be convinced that it's a level playing field," said Esparza.

"They say they qualify even though our own inspector general said, 'No they don't'," said Poe.

As of right now, fewer than 20 Mexican companies are allowed to travel beyond the commercial zone. Nearly three dozen other Mexican companies have already passed initial safety audits to be part of the program and dozens have filed applications.

Congress thought it killed this program by choking off funding.

So why are some Mexican trucks still being allowed to travel throughout the U.S.?

On Tuesday at 6:50 a.m., Robert will show us why some in Congress believe the program is operating illegally.

If you have a news tip or question for KPRC Local 2 Investigates, drop them an e-mail or call their tipline at (713) 223-TIPS (8477).

Copyright 2008 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
              http://www.click2houston.com/investi...51/detail.html
              Wolves Travel In Packs

Comment

Race, Real Estate, And Immigration On Chicago's South Side

By Steve Sailer

Real estate is a preoccupation of most American adults in their private lives. Yet it is almost ignored in our public discourse... at least until it becomes unavoidable, as during the current subprime mortgage meltdown, which is endangering the entire economy.

Real estate is famously all about "location, location, location", which generally means "neighbors, neighbors, neighbors". In our era of cheap electronic playthings, the worst aspect of being poor is not that you can't buy enough stuff"”it's that you have to live next to other poor people.

In urban America, "location" is in large part about race. Thus, our elites, when choosing where to live and where to send their children to school, exhibit the same race realism in their personal affairs that they persecute when a James Watson displays it in public.

Fortunately, a book by sociologists William Julius Wilson and Richard P. Taub, There Goes the Neighborhood: Racial, Ethnic, and Class Tensions in Four Chicago Neighborhoods and Their Meaning for America, bridges the gaping Real Estate Chasm in American intellectual life by profiling in detail four unfashionable neighborhoods on the South Side of Chicago. It's based on field observations conducted by nine grad students from 1993 through 1995. (No explanation is given for why they waited so long before publishing their results.)

Having lived in Chicago for 18 years, I find There Goes the Neighborhood rings true to me. But it tends to slide over the underlying explanations, which I'll try to supply from my family history at the end of this article.

Although he moved from the University of Chicago to Harvard in 1996, William Julius Wilson is the prime representative today of the most famous tradition of academic sociology in America: the Chicago School. In fact, University of Chicago sociologists defined the 77 neighborhoods of Chicago back in the 1920s.

Wilson, who is black, first became prominent with his 1978 book The Declining Significance of Race. It argued that class is becoming more important than race in the workplace.

Amusingly, that book made Wilson the bête noire of Senator Barack Obama's spiritual advisor, Rev. Dr. Jeremiah A. Wright, Jr.. He told the young community organizer in the late 1980s:

"These miseducated brothers, like that sociologist at the University of Chicago, talking about ˜the declining significance of race.' Now, what country is he living in?"

(P. 283 of Obama's autobiography Dreams From My Father).

And, judging from Wilson's latest book, Obama's Rev. Dr. has a point, at least when it comes to housing. (Indeed, one of the side benefits of There Goes the Neighborhood is that it offers a perspective that the Main Stream Media has been reluctant to share with you about where the supposedly "postracial" Democratic Presidential contender from the South Side is actually coming from.)

Wilson and Taub conclude:

"Indeed, many citizens still cling to the notion that the residential desegregation of neighborhoods is achievable. The research conducted for this book, however, strongly suggests that neighborhoods in urban America, especially in large metropolitan areas like Chicago, are likely to remain divided, racially and culturally."

In these four neighborhoods, each of which was virtually all white in 1960, race remains an obsession. Homeowners who get along OK with people of other races in the workplace do not want their colleagues moving onto their street.

Wilson and Taub give pseudonyms to the four neighborhoods profiled in the book. According to Google, nobody has previously broken their code. It's easy to do, however, just by entering each district's reported population from the 2000 Census into a search engine. For the benefit of Chicagoans, I'll use the real names of the neighborhoods.
                bullet First, the book's "Beltway" is actually the Clearing neighborhood on the far Southwestern border of Chicago, out beyond Midway Airport.

As of the 2000 Census, Clearing is 76 percent white and 21 percent Latino, but less than 1 percent black"”and the residents intend to keep it that way. The authors comment:

"Residents felt that Beltway [Clearing] was one of the last places where white working-class Chicagoans could live among people whom they felt shared their backgrounds, experiences, and values."

The white Clearingites have built an impressive collection of institutions to put on events such as block parties, church festivals, picnics, and parades. The implicit goal is to make Clearing a friendly, effective community ... for the people who already live there. Homeowners work hard to foster local pride and make sure that everybody keeps their property up, instantly painting over graffiti so that the forces of disorder and decay cannot undermine property values and allow in less house-proud people, which could set off a vicious cycle that might turn Clearing into a slum.

The Wilson-Taub team's observations confirm the finding of prominent Harvard political scientist Robert D. Putnam, the author of the bestseller Bowling Alone on the decline of social capital, that ethnic diversity (especially immigration) undermines trust. In 2006, Putnam blurted out (to his subsequent regret):

"In the presence of diversity, we hunker down. We act like turtles. The effect of diversity is worse than had been imagined."
                bullet Second, "Dover" is Brighton Park, a closer-in Southwestern neighborhood that was once the Bohemian capital of Chicago.

(That's Bohemian with a capital "B", as in Good King Wenceslas"”the small "b" bohemians congregate in Wicker Park and Bucktown, the hipster havens made notorious by alternative rocker Liz Phair's 1993 al*** Exile in Guyville.)

In contrast to Clearing, where whites were still holding on as the majority, in Brighton by 2000 an influx of Hispanics had left the demographic balance Park almost exactly the reverse of Clearing. Latinos were dominant.

Brighton Park is lacking in the kind of community spirit found in Clearing. Most non-religious organizations, such as Kiwanis, are dying because Hispanics don't volunteer much.

Wilson and Taub note:

"However, whites and Latinos in Dover [Brighton Park] did find common ground in their response to African Americans. Latinos in Dover"”even the recent immigrants"”were no more open to living with black Americans than were the white residents."

Mexican-Americans and the remaining whites of Brighton Park did come together"”to protest their kids being bused from Brighton Park's over-crowded schools to schools in Chicago's black neighborhoods.

Of course, the reason Brighton Park's public schools are overcrowded is because so many Mexicans with large families have moved in. But many are second generation, and they have started to assimilate toward American norms, such as playing the race card to avoid taking responsibility. A local Latino newspaper framed the overcrowding as the result of ... anti-Hispanic discrimination. It editorialized:

"We have 40 to 50 kids in a classroom. Next year they'll be taking the library and the computer room. This is how they discriminate against our kids."

It's worth noting that the Mexicans didn't themselves start crying "discrimination!" White liberals, such as a local school principal, introduced the idea to them. Having heard it, Hispanics hoping to build ethnic activist careers for themselves took it from there.

bullet Third, Wilson's "Archer Park" is actually South Lawndale, which is perhaps better known as Little Village.

Whatever you want to call it, Little Village shows the likely future of Brighton Park ... and Clearing, too, if Clearing's residents let down their guard. This chapter in the book is entitled "A Taste of Mexico in Chicago".

Little Village is virtually all-Hispanic except for a few elderly whites too poor to move; and an all-black strip along its north edge. It suffers from "extreme overcrowding" and is so depressing that, the authors remark, "it was not a neighborhood that held even the Mexican residents". If the residents of Little Village could get organized enough to agree on a neighborhood motto, it would be "Sal Si Puedes""”"Leave If You Can".

But they can't get organized. Little Village has almost nothing in the way of community associations. In a footnote, Wilson and Taub admit, "Residents of Archer Park [Little Village] do not tend to organize outside of kinship..."

Government officials' attempts to get residents to take some responsibility for their own community have been a complete bust. Indeed,

"Even when people were giving things away, though, organized activity came from the top down and did not necessarily draw a crowd. In a telling example, a city government-organized neighborhood festival at a local park served hamburgers and hot dogs instead of Mexican food. The few neighborhood people who attended brought their own tacos, tamales, and the like with them."

While Clearing bustles with get-togethers of local groups, the coordinating meetings for Little Village's social services organizations were held in downtown Chicago on the top floor of the skyscraper of the First Chicago Bank (which was trying to win pro-minority Brownie points with federal bank regulators):

"The people who seemed most concerned about the community were ... service providers who did not live there, but were there in their professional roles rather than as concerned citizens. Meetings could be held downtown at the start of the working day because, in effect, people were being paid to attend them."

bullet Fourth, "Groveland" is Avalon Park on the Southeast Side, a small, pleasant, all-black lower-middle class neighborhood.

Avalon Park is a photographic negative of Clearing. It features many community organizations that are also intended to keep poor blacks out. While Clearing's clubs are have a covert racial agenda, Avalon Park's are overtly so, even though nobody except other blacks is threatening to move in. (Judging from the Afrocentrist attitudes expressed in the book, I would guess that more than a few Avalon Park residents attend Rev. Dr. Wright's megachurch on 95th St.)

Both Clearing and Avalon Park benefit from Chicago's law requiring municipal employees to live in the city. These two places are about as suburban as you can get within Chicago, so government workers comprise 21 percent of the workforce in white Clearing and 27 percent in black Avalon Park.

Civil servants tend to make good, stable neighbors. They have to pass tests to get their jobs, so they can't be really stupid. They don't get fired, so they can put down roots in one place. Many don't work long hours, so they have time to volunteer.

Ironically, the two decent neighborhoods in the study, Clearing and Avalon Park, have been preserved because Chicago's countless bad neighborhoods need so many government workers to babysit their dysfunctions. For instance, There Goes the Neighborhood explains that in heavily immigrant Little Village:

"There was a vast array of paid service providers in the neighborhood. ... There was a school for at-risk youth, and clubs ... for youth not particularly at risk."

The book goes on to list some of the other taxpayer-supported programs in this neighborhood full of illegal immigrants: programs for pregnant women, for parents, for AIDS patients, for people who don't yet have AIDS, for sick people, for the mentally ill, for gang-prevention, for seniors, for high school graduates, for high school dropouts, and for people who never went to high school and want to learn English so they can vote.

Not many of the Mexican immigrants do become voters, though. So it's easy to see why white and black politicians want more of them, no matter how much the general citizenry doesn't. Illegal immigrants and their descendents provide countless jobs for politically well-connected white and black civil servants, while only very slowly grabbing political power themselves.

Keep in mind that Chicago is, compared to, say, Detroit or Cleveland, a successful city. Under the Daley Dynasty's crooked but sensible leadership, Chicago has been able to hang on to many tax-generating big corporations and tax-consuming but neighborhood-preserving civil servants.

In the long run, though"”which might prove to be arriving shortly"”this tax gold mine is going to run out. Wilson and Taub warn:

"Moreover, with minorities, notably Latinos, displacing whites as a growing share of the population, the implications for urban tax bases are profound."

Still, as refreshing as There Goes the Neighborhood is in an intellectual culture starved of clear thinking (or any thinking, for that matter) about real estate, it could be even more explicit about the underlying logic.

So, let me tell you some personal real estate stories to illustrate how the world really works.

To begin: Why, besides alliteration, does Lakefront and Liberal always go together in Chicago?

Home prices are so high near Chicago's main asset, Lake Michigan, that only upper-middle class people can afford to live there. Thus, race doesn't much matter. In lower rent districts, however, race trumps class. As many Chicagoans testify in There Goes the Neighborhood, among working class people the traits that make a good neighbor"”such as having children who don't commit crimes and who aren't disruptive in school"”are most often found among whites, followed by Latinos, followed by African-Americans. (Asians would probably come in first, but they don't live in these four areas.) And whites are distributed higher on the class spectrum on average.

When my wife and I bought a condominium in Chicago in 1988, we picked highly diverse Uptown on the northern lakefront by following the "value investing" logic devised by Warren Buffett's mentor Benjamin Graham: look for stocks that are underpriced relative to their intrinsic value. If the people running the company currently are no good, they are likely to be replaced.

Similarly, we reasoned that Chicago's foremost intrinsic asset is its magnificent lakefront, with parks running for 18 miles along Lake Michigan. In Uptown we could buy a condo on the first block in from the waterfront park, just a ten minute stroll to two beaches, for a small fraction of what we'd pay three miles to the south in stylish Lincoln Park.

The downside was that our neighborhood hadn't been "discovered" yet. So we'd have to put up with a lot of dicey neighbors just a block or two away, until the whole neighborhood was inevitably gentrified.

That was our thinking. But for ten long years the price of condos in the neighborhood was almost dead flat. We kept telling ourselves that the market was wrong, that the intrinsic appeal of living 90 seconds from Lake Shore Drive, with its 20 minute commute to the Loop, would eventually overrule faddish whims that were propelling prices in innately crummy neighborhoods like Bucktown into the stratosphere.

Finally, in the late 1990s, the world suddenly came to agree with us, and we sold out in 2000 at a decent profit.

On the other hand, even in 1988, we still had to pay far more per square foot in Uptown than in Wilson and Taub's four neighborhoods. So we were assured of genteel neighbors, whatever their race. One of the two black owners of units in our six-flat had an MBA from the University of Chicago and the other was a CPA from Trinidad.

Away from the lake, though, there are fewer intrinsic assets to distinguish one area from another other than the people who live there and the strength of their will to stay there.

The architectural quality of the housing stock only matters in extreme cases. The now-poorer South Side often has better-designed vintage buildings than the now-richer North Side.

Yet, there's one place in the Chicago area where architecture really did make a difference. When I moved to Chicago to take a job in 1982, my father wanted to visit his old house in Oak Park, the first suburb west of the worst ghettos of Chicago, which he had lived in until his family moved to California in 1929. I tried to talk him out of it, assuming that his neighborhood in Oak Park would now be a slum.

Yet when we arrived at 1028 Superior St., the sidewalk was full of tourists snapping photographs"”not of his house, although it was beautifully preserved, but of the one next door at 333 Forest. This Moore-Dugal House was originally designed by America's most famous architect, Frank Lloyd Wright, in 1895 as a large Tudor cottage. After it burned in a Christmas Day fire 85 years ago that my father still remembers, Wright rebuilt it for the Moores as an immense Anglo-Japanese curiosity. There are a dozen other Wright-designed homes, including Wright's own house, within two blocks.

Oak Park, where Wright invented his "Prairie Style", survived the racial changes of the 1960s and 1970s, when much of adjacent Chicago, including the Austin neighborhood right across the street, turned into a giant slum.

Why? Because, with a total of 25 Frank Lloyd Wright buildings as well as many other superb structures, it has the most architecturally significant housing stock in America.

Oak Park homeowners, with so much to lose, successfully resisted tipping to all black by instituting "a black a block" program in which real estate agents were only allowed to sell one home per block to blacks. It was flagrantly illegal under the 1968 Fair Housing Act, but it did save America's most aesthetically important neighborhood. [Reconsidering The Oak Park Strategy: The Conundrums Of Integration, by Evan McKenzie and Jay Ruby, (PDF)]

In contrast, Chicago's working class Austin neighborhood, just to the east of Oak Park, didn't have any epochal architecture. So it wasn't as lucky. There, my in-laws suffered the dire consequences of rapid ethnic change.

My late father-in-law was a classical musician and union leader and my late mother-in-law, who may have been an even better musician but who suffered too much stage fright to play concerts, was a public school special education teacher. As late as 1966, Austin was all-white, with so little crime that my future wife walked a mile to first grade with her third grade sister every day. After school, the sidewalks of this neighborhood of three story condominiums were packed with children out playing while their mothers made dinner. (These days, when kids are chauffeured everywhere by their parents, the old Austin sounds like it was a paradise for both children and parents.)

After World War One, most blacks in Chicago had been restricted by chicanery and violence to living in a small, densely populated district on the South Side. This complete segregation broke down in the late 1950s. And then the increase in welfare payments in the progressive Illinois of the 1960s brought up from the rural South a lower class of blacks.

When Austin started to integrate around 1966, many of my in-laws' friends told them to sell out as soon as possible, before the neighborhood went all black.

But, as good liberals, my in-laws stood up for integration. And the first blacks moving in were middle class. So, they joined an anti-tipping liberal group of neighborhood home-owners started by fellow musician Father Edward McKenna"”a composer who has written a couple of Irish-themed operas with librettos by Father Andrew Greeley. Members swore to each other they wouldn't sell no matter how black the neighborhood got.

Well, the crime rate, which had been non-existent when the neighborhood was all white, started to soar. Housing prices fell, and soon the middle class blacks were selling out because underclass blacks were moving in. The members of the pro-integration group started to break their promises and move out. My in-laws stuck with their vows. But, then in 1968, rioters looted all the stores in the neighborhood after Martin Luther King was murdered. (My future wife called her mother to the window: "Hey, Mom! Look"”free TVs! Let's get some!" Her mother sent her to her room). And their small children, my future wife included, were mugged three times on their street.

So, my in-laws finally sold, losing about half of their life savings. They bought a farm 65 miles out of town, where they didn't have indoor plumbing for their first two years of fixing it up.

The last time I visited Austin"”in the 1990s, three decades later"”it looked like a war zone, with about one third of the houses abandoned or torn down.

Today, immigration causes similar, although perhaps generally not quite as tumultuous, disruptions in the lives of American citizens.

It has been exhaustively demonstrated that there is no economic rationale for the post-1965 influx.

Why do we need the aggravation?

[Steve Sailer (email him) is founder of the Human Biodiversity Institute and movie critic for The American Conservative. His website www.iSteve.blogspot.com features his daily blog.]
                Wolves Travel In Packs

Comment

FBI Probes Purchases of U.S. Aircraft by Drug Lords

Monday, February 4, 2008 9:09 PM

MIAMI -- A Venezuelan man has been charged with laundering drug profits to buy U.S. aircraft to smuggle cocaine, according to U.S. court documents, as the FBI broadens a probe into South American cocaine kings.

T he man, Pedro Jose Benavides-Natera, goes on trial in Miami next month and more arrests may be forthcoming, thanks to a confidential informant who shed light on the drug-money-for-aircraft laundering scheme, the documents show.

The documents were filed in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida in October.

In them, FBI agent Michael Hoenigman says the informant was "personally involved with a confederation of individuals" whose job was to scout out U.S. aircraft desired by Venezuela-based drug traffickers and help broker transactions to buy them to ferry cocaine shipments around the globe.

Last year's arrest of Benavides was part of a more sweeping investigation of money laundering schemes aimed at uncovering the purchase of aircraft in the United States by South American traffickers, the court documents show.

Steve Robertson, a spokesman at the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration in Washington, described the schemes as "very imaginative" since they involved the purchase of a tangible asset for multiple possible uses.

"In addition to the product, in this case an airplane that has a high resale value, it's something they can use to use for their smuggling," he said.

According to the indictment, Benavides opened an account at what it identified as the Commerce Bank in Miami in December 2000 that was subsequently used to launder drug profits and broker deals for the purchase of a U.S.-registered twin-engine King Air E90 in September 2006.

The plane was bought from a Miami company and sent to Venezuela using money that Benavides allegedly funneled from Venezuela-based traffickers through a Mexican money exchange into his Miami account.

An attorney for Benavides could not be reached for comment. But while he entered a not guilty plea earlier this month, the indictment says he confessed to handling "money transfers" for unidentified drug trafficking organizations to purchase aircraft used to transport drugs.

The traffickers Benavides is alleged to have worked for also sought to buy a twin-engine Cessna Conquest II using drug profits laundered through Benavides' Miami bank account, the indictment says.

The Conquest II is the aircraft of choice among traffickers transporting cocaine from Venezuela for the long haul to Africa, the indictment says. Africa has become an increasingly important staging point for drug shipments to Europe, international police organizations say.

http://www.newsmax.com/us/fbi_drug_l.../04/70093.html

Comment

LABOR & EMPLOYMENT LAW "” 2/07/08

Illinois restaurant owner sentenced for harboring illegal aliens

The former owner of a local restaurant was sentenced to 18 months in federal prison for harboring illegal aliens at his buffet restaurant. The sentence resulted from a criminal worksite enforcement investigation conducted by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Xian Xi Ye, 41, was sentenced January 28, 2008, by US District Judge Jeanne E. Scott to 18 months in prison for harboring illegal aliens. Xi Ye, the former owner of the "Buffet City" restaurant, appeared in federal court in Springfield via video connection from the Federal Medical Center in South Carolina. In addition to the prison sentence, Xi Ye was also ordered to pay a $2,500 fine within one year. As an illegal alien from China, Xi Ye will be turned over to ICE and placed into deportation proceedings after he completes his prison sentence.

Xi Ye pled guilty in September 2007 to providing housing, employment and transportation to the illegal aliens who worked at his restaurant. The charges resulted from a criminal worksite investigation conducted by ICE in September 2006, with assistance from the US Department of Labor. At that time, ICE agents also arrested 16 undocumented workers who were employed at the Buffet City restaurant and placed them into deportation proceedings.

Assistant US Attorney Patrick J. Chesley, Central District of Illinois, successfully prosecuted the case against Xi Ye.

Xi Ye's co-defendant, Xiang Hui Ye, 29, former co-owner and manager of the restaurant, is scheduled for sentencing January 31. Hui Ye was convicted in October following a jury trial charging him with harboring and employing illegal aliens at the restaurant.

" ICE aggressively targets employers who knowingly and recklessly employ an illegal alien workforce," said Greg Archambeault, resident agent-in-charge of the ICE Office of Investigations in Springfield. "We will use all our investigative tools to pursue employers who take advantage of illegal labor to make an unlawful profit."

For more information on this and other topics, consult CCH Employment Practices Guide or CCH Labor Relations.

http://hr.cch.com/news/employment/020708a.asp
                    Wolves Travel In Packs

Comment

Overloaded van contained illegal's
                      Posted: Feb 7, 2008 02:24 AM
                      Updated: Feb 7, 2008 06:06 AM

Jennie Runevitch/Eyewitness News

Hendricks County - An investigation into human trafficking is ongoing after police found men, women and children packed into a van in Hendricks County. The people had no proof of citizenship and police say they were at serious risk on the road.

Around noon Tuesday, Hendricks County Sheriff's Deputy Brandon Adams pulled over a Chevy van, with Arizona tags, for a lane violation at a rest stop just west of Plainfield on I-70.

That's when the routine traffic stop became anything but.

Deputy Adams found 20 people packed inside, including three children under three-years-old.

"There were people sitting on top of people. There were people laying in the floor, pretty much stacked inside the van," Adams said.

Police say the group came from Mexico and was traveling through Indiana to New Jersey for jobs.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, now investigating the case, say the "smuggling loads" are dangerous and desperate cross-country drives.

"Normally the smugglers will charge a fee, could be a couple thousand dollars to get an illegal alien across the border and then to their destination in the United States," said ICE Spokesperson Gail Montenegro.

The drivers often go days without sleep and the undocumented workers are treated like cargo.

"The smugglers are in this for a profit, so they pack as many people as possible inside. And many times they're not allowed to stop or to let the people out to use the restroom or to get something to eat, so these are people are packed in there for days...days on end," Montenegro said.

Police say the vehicles in which they're riding are often not well-maintained either.

"And when you add that much weight inside that vehicle, consequences can be catastrophic," Adams said.

Hendricks County Sheriff, Dave Galloway, says this case is not unusual. His deputies have had three similar pull-overs recently involving immigrants, packed as cargo, on our highways.

"To me it's a national problem. It's an immigration problem that needs to be dealt with by Congress," Sheriff Galloway said.

All 20 people found inside the van are now being processed in Indianapolis for deportation, back to Mexico.

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=7835598&nav=menu188_2[/i]
                      Wolves Travel In Packs

Comment

Restauranteur Faces Charges Of Housing Immigrants
                        Feb 6, 2008

Written by Rick Sallinger

DENVER (CBS4) "• The owner of a chain of Denver area Chinese restaurants is apologizing to his patrons and his community and now plans to plead guilty to charges of employing illegal immigrants.

A naturalized citizen from China, Louie Li would appear to be a shining example of the American dream. He lives in an exclusive subdivision above Castle Rock in a home that Douglas County values at more than $900,000. Li owns the restaurant South Garden, which has locations in Castle Rock, Parker and Denver.

In addition to being a restauranteur, Li is an owner of multiple properties. Records CBS4 examined show five homes in his family's name in Castle Rock, plus one in Parker. The total value of the properties is $2.3 million.

Residents of the quiet, family-oriented Douglas County neighborhood where Li owns a home first became suspicious of activity there when a number of Spanish speaking men began moving in and out of the house.

Neighbors discovered several people were living on mattresses on the concrete basement floor. They would walk to work nearby at Li's restaurant in Parker.

Suddenly realizing the issue of illegal immigration might be striking very close to home, residents gathered together for an informal meeting and decided to keep a close watch on on their new neighbors and their own children.

They later told federal agents from Immigration and Customs Enforcement that in one incident one of the Hispanic males offered beer to a neighborhood child and in another a male made suggestive comments to a neighbor's wife.

More men identified as illegal immigrants were found at a townhouse owned by Li near his restaurant in Castle Rock.

"I thought there were too many people living in one spot and they were all males and I thought that was a little suspicious," one neighbor told CBS4.

The workers told immigration authorities after contacting Li that they were allowed to sleep in his homes for free so long as they agreed to work in his restaurants.

CBS4's Rick Sallinger approached Louie Li and asked him about the case.

"Is it proper to put up illegal immigrants on mattresses in a basement of a home?"

Li did not respond at that time. However a statement later issued by Li's attorney Michael Axt states:

"Mr. Li provided adequate housing at minimal expense to the workers. It should be noted that Mr. Li treated them well, but had no control over the workers' conduct once they left the restaurants in the evenings."

The statement said the labor force initiallly provided Mr. Li with sufficient workers, mostly of Chinese heritage, but due to a shortage of workers willing to travel to Parker and Castle Rock Li later hired undocumented workers.

The illegal immigrant employees claimed they worked up to 60 hours a week and were paid in cash below the minimum wage.

Internal Revenue Service spokesperson Jean Carl said this kind of arrangement may violate tax laws.

"It's a very scary problem because there's a lot of people in this country who are undocumented and if they are hired and they are undocumented there are several laws being broken here," Carl said.

An investigation and arrests by Immigration and Customs Enforcement resulted in felony charges against Li and three other members of his family.

CBS4 News has learned a plea deal has now been worked out in which they have agreed plead guilty to misdemeanor charges of employing illegal aliens, to serve no prison time and pay a fine totalling $150,000.

A spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Denver said the plea deal is being offered because there was no indication that the illegal workers had been mistreated or abused and because the defendants had no prior record.

Through his statement, Li also issued an apology: "Mr. Li apologizes to his loyal patrons and their respective communities for these lapses in judgement. Mr. Li also wants to assure the public that he is now in full compliance with all legal requirements pertaining to hiring practices."

The illegal immigrants who lived in the suburban communities are being held for deportation.

Li remains free on bond and is still able to live in his luxurious Castle Rock home.

http://cbs4denver.com/investigates/L....2.647606.html
                        Wolves Travel In Packs

Comment

Texas-Mexico water war continues
                          Texas farmers to ask Canadian judge to impose sanctions on Mexico for taking Rio Grande water

February 6, 2008
                          BY ASSOCIATED PRESS

WESLACO, Texas---- More than 40 Texas farmers, ranchers and irrigation districts are gearing up to take their long-standing water war with Mexico to the next level, which in this case is a Canadian judge.

Texas Comptroller Susan Combs came to the Rio Grande Valley for a pep talk Tuesday, to reinvigorate farmers who have been fighting for three years and running up legal bills of almost $500,000.

''You roll over now and you won't be in good shape,'' Combs told a room full of farmers and ranchers.

I n 2004, the farmers and ranchers sued Mexico for $500 million, arguing that their southern neighbor had shorted them on Rio Grande water from 1992 to 2002 in violation of a 1944 treaty.

In June, a tribunal operating under the North American Free Trade Agreement decided it did not have jurisdiction, stalling the case before it got started.

Most frustrating to the landowners was that the U.S. State Department intervened at the last moment and sided with Mexico.

''When they did that, it really just hit you in the stomach,'' said Joe Barrera, general manager of the Brownsville Irrigation District. ''We've kind of lost that spark that we had at the beginning.

''We've got to get it back,'' he said.

The groups plan to ask a Canadian judge to decide March 25 whether the tribunal erred and deprived the farmers of a fair hearing. The case goes to Canada because both sides agreed in arbitration that if an issue arose they would go to a neutral location.

Combs urged the farmers, a mixture of large and small operators, to contact their state and federal legislators in hopes of keeping the State Department on the sidelines or to bring the it over to their side.

State Department spokeswoman Joanne Moore said no one was available Tuesday to comment on the dispute.

The farmers, many of whom sit on irrigation district boards, worry about letting the water issue pass without consequence for Mexico.

''If Mexico doesn't pay any penalty, it's easier for them to do it again,'' said Ray Pruitt, president of Texas Citrus Mutual.

A call to the Mexican Consulate in McAllen late Tuesday was not immediately returned.

''This is their water,'' said Nancie Marzulla, a Washington, D.C.-based attorney handling the farmers' case. ''This is a water fight.''

The farmers can sue Mexico under the NAFTA rules because they have property -- water -- in Mexico that Mexico appropriated, Marzulla said.

NAFTA is the only way the farmers can seek redress, because the 1944 treaty between the United States and Mexico has no provisions for individuals suing a country.

The state will file a brief supporting the farmers with the Canadian court. A Canadian attorney, retained for $10,000, is handling the paperwork.

Texas is joining the fight because if it hurts the farmers, it hurts the state economy, Combs said.

''You must call (legislators). You must try everything,'' Combs told the farmers. ''This is really important to the state. It's important to the valley.''

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/...8water.article

*It's time the US deported all illegal aliens from Mexico and wage war on that leeching cesspool.
                          Wolves Travel In Packs

Comment

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:06 am Post

subject: "Euros Accepted"Signs Pop Up In NYC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Euros Accepted" signs pop up in New York City

Wed Feb 6, 2008 4:09pm EST

Falling stocks drag dollar lower versus yen, euro
                            08 Jan 2008

NEW YORK (Reuters) - In the latest example that the U.S. dollar just ain't what it used to be, some shops in New York City have begun accepting euros and other foreign currency as payment for merchandise.

"We had decided that money is money and we'll take it and just do the exchange whenever we can with our bank," Robert Chu, owner of East Village Wines, told Reuters television.

The increasingly weak U.S. dollar, once considered the king among currencies, has brought waves of European tourists to New York with money to burn and looking to take advantage of hugely favorable exchange rates.

"We didn't realize we would take so much in and there were that many people traveling or having euros to bring in. But some days, you'd be surprised at how many euros you get," Chu said.

"Now we have to get familiar with other currencies and the (British) pound and the Canadian dollars we take," he said.

While shops in many U.S. towns on the Canadian border have long accepted Canadian currency and some stores on the Texas-Mexico border take pesos, the acceptance of foreign money in Manhattan was unheard of until recently.

Not far from Chu's downtown wine emporium, Billy Leroy of Billy's Antiques & Props said the vast numbers of Europeans shopping in the neighborhood got him thinking, "My God, I should take euros in at the store."

Leroy doesn't even bother to exchange them.

"I'm happy if I take in 200 euros, because what I do is keep them," he said. "So when I go back to Paris, I don't have to go through the nightmare of going to an exchange place."

(Reporting by Angela Moore, writing by Bill Berkrot; Editing by Doina Chiacu)
                            http://www.reuters.com/article/newsO...55798320080206
                            Wolves Travel In Packs

Comment

Rich illegal immigrants in U.S. hide in shadows

Tue Feb 5, 2008 8:22pm EST

ATLANTA (Reuters) - Many illegal immigrants in the United States are manual laborers on low wages. But there's another group that attracts much less attention: entrepreneurs who have set up businesses, created jobs and grown affluent.

There are up to 20,000 illegal immigrants earning upward of $100,000 a year as entrepreneurs, and their existence challenges the stereotype that illegal immigrants are a drain on the U.S. economy, according to immigration lawyers and academics.

Many say they are living the "American Dream," but almost none trumpet their achievements because they fear deportation.

One example is a 38-year-old computer engineer who overstayed his visa after arriving from Colombia in 1999. Not long after, he founded a Web design firm in Miami that specializes in e-commerce.

Today it's a fast-growing, tax-paying company that recently developed a Web platform for online radio and television that could be a breakthrough technology.

"We are at a good point now, making money," said the man, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of his immigration status. "We are growing every month because our customers are happy. They are U.S. companies making a lot of money from our Web sites."

But the man is near the end of a long administrative process that will likely lead to his deportation. Then his company would close and workers, including Americans, would be laid off.

"I have always tried to look at things in a positive way but now I am disappointed," he said in a telephone interview.

Michael Bander, a Miami immigration lawyer who has represented the man for six years, said his client's dilemma showed a larger flaw in the immigration system.

SPECIAL STATUS?

It is not easy to determine the number of illegal immigrants who earn six figure salaries, but there could be 20,000 of them and a significant proportion earn up to $300,000 a year, said Jeff Passel, lead demographer at the Pew Hispanic Center in Washington.

Advocates see the group as trailblazers for the more than 12 million illegal immigrants estimated to be living in the United States, most from Mexico or other Latin American countries.

"These people should be treated like heroes not criminals," said Felipe Korzenny, professor of marketing and communications at Florida State University. Wealthy illegal immigrants also came from India, China, Taiwan, Israel and South Africa, he said.

Congress should address their unique situation, not least because they have more to lose than others, said George Tzamaras, spokesman for the American Immigration Lawyers Association.

The United States runs a Green Card residence permit program for investors but it does not apply to those already in the country illegally.

But opponents of illegal immigration said the United States should grant no special status according to wealth for people who break the law.

"They should be deported as existing law dictates. We'd like to see their assets seized to compensate American taxpayers who are losing billions of dollars due to rampant illegal immigration," said William Gheen, president of Americans for Legal Immigration.

"We need to send a strong message to people who would like to come to the U.S. that disrespect for our laws will not lead to prosperity," said Gheen.

TEN-YEAR BAN

Under existing law, people who overstay their visas must return to their home country, and cannot re-enter for 10 years. Visas waiving this process are increasingly rare, immigration lawyers said.

More than half of Silicon Valley start-ups between 1995 and 2005 had one or more immigrants as key founders, according to a study by the University of California at Berkeley and Vivek Wadhwa, founder of Relativity Technologies.

Immigrant entrepreneurs launched 25 percent of technology or engineering companies in the same period, it said.

Some can be assumed to be illegal immigrants, said Wadhwa, a columnist and professor whose company was rated by Fortune magazine as one of the 25 coolest in the world.

"You have to figure out what to do with the 12 million illegal immigrants that are unskilled," said Wadhwa, who was born in India. "But what about the few hundred thousand that help us boost our competitiveness?"

(Writing by Matthew Bigg; Editing by Michael Christie and Eddie Evans)
                              Wolves Travel In Packs

Comment

Working...
                              X