Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• citizenship dilemma

Hi Everyone,

I became an LPR on Nov 18, 2005 and I am eligible to apply for Citizenship next month or so.

My wife is a canadian citizen, who joined me to live in the US since May 2007, overstaying her tourist visa. There is no stamp and she's didnt get an i-94 either. We since filed joint taxes and she has her ITIN no as well.

My plan was to legalize her when i become a USC. Spoke to an attorney in 2007 and he assured everything should be fine. However, the N-400 application seeks to know the current immigration status of wife with two options to choose from - either

a) LPR
    b) Other.

Now here in my dilemma :

If I choose Other and put "visitor" in that space, I might be asked details of her stay in the US and "truthfully" i need to say that she overstayed her visa and that I housed her illegally, violating the "good moral character" requirement for USC. Also, this is punishable (by 250,000 or 5 years jail or both ) by law to willingly aid an illegal.

If i lie during interview stating that she goes back and forth between US and Canada, I will be able to become USC by lying, but subsequently run the risk of being questioned when I file for I-485 for my Canadian spouse. Its like a catch 22.

Please give me your insight or if anyone you know had a similar case.
    Thanks a bunch to everyone

Hi Everyone,

I became an LPR on Nov 18, 2005 and I am eligible to apply for Citizenship next month or so.

My wife is a canadian citizen, who joined me to live in the US since May 2007, overstaying her tourist visa. There is no stamp and she's didnt get an i-94 either. We since filed joint taxes and she has her ITIN no as well.

My plan was to legalize her when i become a USC. Spoke to an attorney in 2007 and he assured everything should be fine. However, the N-400 application seeks to know the current immigration status of wife with two options to choose from - either

a) LPR
    b) Other.

Now here in my dilemma :

If I choose Other and put "visitor" in that space, I might be asked details of her stay in the US and "truthfully" i need to say that she overstayed her visa and that I housed her illegally, violating the "good moral character" requirement for USC. Also, this is punishable (by 250,000 or 5 years jail or both ) by law to willingly aid an illegal.

If i lie during interview stating that she goes back and forth between US and Canada, I will be able to become USC by lying, but subsequently run the risk of being questioned when I file for I-485 for my Canadian spouse. Its like a catch 22.

Please give me your insight or if anyone you know had a similar case.
    Thanks a bunch to everyone

Comment

I guess you were waiting for your citizenship before petioning for your wife? Anyway, you have to be truthful on the application. I don't think her status will prevent you from becoming a citizen. Good luck (and once you're a citizen, please fix your wife's immigration status).

Comment

You will be prosecuted if you admit that she is here illegally. Your best bet is to have her leave and apply after she leaves.

Comment

Be truthful and you should not be prosecuted.

If your wife leaves the country, she will be subject to the 10 year bar.

Comment

Poor guy! This is a confusing thread. I second Mrs. Mani and also back up PUSC.
            “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

Comment

Thanks a bunch guys.. This gives me lil bit of confidence.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by achinghead:
                Thanks a bunch guys.. This gives me lil bit of confidence. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're welcome, Achinghead and you can call me Achingarm for the time being. If anyone has a recipe to take away pain other than narcotics, I'm open to suggestions - lol!! Good luck, Achinghead. You'll be okay.

Comment

Working...
                X