Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Validity of divorce performed by Japanese Consulate in Hawaii

My wife (a Japanese National) and I (an American
    Citizen)have applied for a green card though marriage.

The USCIS adjudications officer,in Las Vegas, requests that I provide further proof, of
    my wifes divorce from a prior marriage of Japanese Nationals in Japan. The divorce was granted by the Japanese Consulate in Hawaii.

The USCIS would not accept the (1) Koseki (a Japanese family registry), and
    the (2) english tranlation and (3) affidavit of translation from Japanese to English (showing the divorce).

I spoke to the Japanese Consulate in Hawaii and they acknowledged that the Koseki and English
    translation and Affidavit of Translation is sufficient proof and that Japanese Nationals married in Japan are granted a divorce through
    the Japanese Consulate in Hawaii. The divorce
    is then entered in the "Koseki" (the family
    registry) as required by Japanese Law.

The USCIS wants clarification from the US Courts that a divorce of Japanese Nationals granted by the Japanese Consulate is a valid divorce.

Any suggestions or comments are most welcome.

Thank you,
    Michael K
    casamalulani@live.com

I do not have the funds to hire an attorney.
    Michael K

My wife (a Japanese National) and I (an American
    Citizen)have applied for a green card though marriage.

The USCIS adjudications officer,in Las Vegas, requests that I provide further proof, of
    my wifes divorce from a prior marriage of Japanese Nationals in Japan. The divorce was granted by the Japanese Consulate in Hawaii.

The USCIS would not accept the (1) Koseki (a Japanese family registry), and
    the (2) english tranlation and (3) affidavit of translation from Japanese to English (showing the divorce).

I spoke to the Japanese Consulate in Hawaii and they acknowledged that the Koseki and English
    translation and Affidavit of Translation is sufficient proof and that Japanese Nationals married in Japan are granted a divorce through
    the Japanese Consulate in Hawaii. The divorce
    is then entered in the "Koseki" (the family
    registry) as required by Japanese Law.

The USCIS wants clarification from the US Courts that a divorce of Japanese Nationals granted by the Japanese Consulate is a valid divorce.

Any suggestions or comments are most welcome.

Thank you,
    Michael K
    casamalulani@live.com

I do not have the funds to hire an attorney.
    Michael K

Comment

USCIS has an office in their DC headquarters that interprets foreign law. You will need to send a letter to the District Director of USCIS in Las Vegas to seek an opinion.

Comment

I will write the USCIS in Las Vegas today.
        (the very body that is requesting this information).

I appreciate your assistance.

Thank you,

Michael K
        Michael K

Comment

you may need to get an attorney involved at this point- someone who knows how to research legal precedent. Your jurisdiction may already have settled this issue... waiting for USCIS to get the answer themselves may take longer than it needs to.

Comment

Working...
          X