Out of status and filling for taxes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of status and filling for taxes

I have been out of status for many years and my social security at one time was valid work only with immigration authorization . I need to file my taxes now because of some inheritance I received. I will be recveiving some 1099s. Do I run a risk of getting deported? Does IRS can track me down and report me to immigration?
    Anyone in the same postion as me have done it?? Please answer only if you know, no need for nastry answers.
    thanks
    J

I have been out of status for many years and my social security at one time was valid work only with immigration authorization . I need to file my taxes now because of some inheritance I received. I will be recveiving some 1099s. Do I run a risk of getting deported? Does IRS can track me down and report me to immigration?
    Anyone in the same postion as me have done it?? Please answer only if you know, no need for nastry answers.
    thanks
    J

Comment

Hi John100

They will track you down like an animal and wont stop until ur status is terminated. Naw just kidding. Had to get my nasty answer in

Currently at this time, Irs does not share info with Immigration.. however that may be change in the future.

You say you are have 1099's.. Are these 1099's from working or something relative to your inheritance? If relative to working/subcontract work.. and if the money made is a significant number the IRS will eventually be looking at you if you dont file.. for tax liability mostly due to self-employment tax.

Your inheritance most likely is only relative to your state reporting inhertiance tax return. not your Federal 1040. Now if your inheritance was quite large and you put it in the bank. Perhaps you are speaking about 1099b interest forms that will have to be reported on 1040.

You may not even have to file based on income. Check the income filing requirements for your filing status.

Comment

4Now:
        Turn your blasted Yahoo messenger on and join us in a chat

Comment

The
          1099s are inheritance related. I also would like to file self employement taxes. I am inheriting couple rental properties. I thought I would file taxes in 2004. What do you think?
          My social socurity is only valid for immigration authorization. Would that make them suspicious?
          thanks

They will track you down like an animal and wont stop until ur status is terminated. Naw just kidding. Had to get my nasty answer in

Currently at this time, Irs does not share info with Immigration.. however that may be change in the future.

You say you are have 1099's.. Are these 1099's from working or something relative to your inheritance? If relative to working/subcontract work.. and if the money made is a significant number the IRS will eventually be looking at you if you dont file.. for tax liability mostly due to self-employment tax.

Your inheritance most likely is only relative to your state reporting inhertiance tax return. not your Federal 1040. Now if your inheritance was quite large and you put it in the bank. Perhaps you are speaking about 1099b interest forms that will have to be reported on 1040.

You may not even have to file based on income. Check the income filing requirements for your filing status.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Hi John

1099's are inhertiance related.. but you do not say how. is it 1099S, 1099B?? The rental properties income if they are rented currently and you are receiving the income will have to be reported using a Schedule E on the 1040. If you did not receive income in 2003 it is not necessary to file.

Now when you say file taxes in 2004.. do you mean file for the tax year 2003 or are you talking about a future filing for taxyear 2oo4 which will occur between Jan/april of 2005?

What reason are you filing self employment taxes for... are you self employed in a business and/or receiving 1099 misc income?

Now I believe you have 2 different issues here. One is a state inheritance filing that you abosolutely have to file and pay inheritance tax on property and money you received. The other is income tax filing which is Federal (non state) btw waht state are u in?

If you did not receive any income or did not make the $$ for required filing... then my opinion is to let "sleeping dogs lie" for the time being. If it ever comes a time for you to adjust status due to an amnesty or otherwise... there is always time to file your returns to meet that criteria when the time would come.

Let me know what the 1099's are to advise.

Comment

Hi
              the the 1099s are for some benefeciary money I am going to receive this year. I am not sure what type they are. Also I am going to receive interest from the bank and that will be other 1099s. I am talking about filling taxes next year for 2004 not 2003. I dont have anything showing for 2003. I have not yet transfer the houses to my name therefore I am not receiving any income from them. I am self employed and there is no 1099 involved, I dont work for anyone. I do not claim my income there. I woulld like to claim my income and pay taxes because is the right thing to do. If need to pay taxes I dont really care. What do you think?
              I know so many people who are undocumenated and pay taxes, how they do it?
              thanks a lot

Comment

>> My social socurity is only valid for immigration authorization.

Your SS# is valid for life and does not expire based on your status in the U.S., but your SS# is not valid for employment any longer, you need employment authorization in order to legally work, NOT to validate your SS#.

How do the others do it (pay taxes while out of status)?
                1. Use someone else's SS# (from a USC or LPR).
                2. Use a fake SS#
                3. Not pay taxes at all.

Comment

Originally posted by 4now:
                  Hi John

1099's are inhertiance related.. but you do not say how. is it 1099S, 1099B?? The rental properties income if they are rented currently and you are receiving the income will have to be reported using a Schedule E on the 1040. If you did not receive income in 2003 it is not necessary to file.

Now when you say file taxes in 2004.. do you mean file for the tax year 2003 or are you talking about a future filing for taxyear 2oo4 which will occur between Jan/april of 2005?

What reason are you filing self employment taxes for... are you self employed in a business and/or receiving 1099 misc income?

Now I believe you have 2 different issues here. One is a state inheritance filing that you abosolutely have to file and pay inheritance tax on property and money you received. The other is income tax filing which is Federal (non state) btw waht state are u in?

If you did not receive any income or did not make the $$ for required filing... then my opinion is to let "sleeping dogs lie" for the time being. If it ever comes a time for you to adjust status due to an amnesty or otherwise... there is always time to file your returns to meet that criteria when the time would come.

Let me know what the 1099's are to advise.
                  Hi I live in New york. How I see it is like this. I will have to pay taxes on the 1099s from the money will receive from some beneficiary programs.
                  How do I file for that?
                  Second can I not report the rents I reveive from the 2 houses. An accountant told me that in new york, tenants are not required to report their rent. I do not have a 1099 from any type of work. Are all inheritance related. Please advise
                  thanks

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 4now:
                    Hi John

1099's are inhertiance related.. but you do not say how. is it 1099S, 1099B?? The rental properties income if they are rented currently and you are receiving the income will have to be reported using a Schedule E on the 1040. If you did not receive income in 2003 it is not necessar

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 4now:
                      Hi John

1099's are inhertiance related.. but you do not say how. is it 1099S, 1099B?? The rental properties income if they are rented currently and you are receiving the income will have to be reported using a Schedule E on the 1040. If you did not receive income in 2003 it is no

Comment

Hi J100

ok you are speaking of the coming year. You will receive 1099b from the bank for your interest income. Were you the beneficary of an IRA etc. you then may receive an 1099 for that source of income.. but you will have to wait for end of year for the particulars of what you will have to file. check back with us at that time.

Your accountant is correct... TENANTS do no claim rental income... LANDLORDS do. You are a LANDLORD and yes you do have to report the income you receive, and thats everywhere in USA. You will need to consult an Accountant/tax preparer for the rental income filing as there will be depreciation and expenses available for deductions from the income that you get from the rental properties. Your basis in the property will be the inherited basis.

You also asked how do people report their incomes when they are illegal... Those without valid social sec numbers use ITIN. these numbers are 9 digit number like a ssn but they all begin with the number"9". This designates that they are not a valid social . You however have a true social security #. It was legally issued to you at one time. It is just not valid for work authorization. This should not be a problem.

It would be a good time for you to think about getting in status again. Now that you have property and assets. Surely you have been here long enough to fall in love with usc to marry by now. All would be forgiven u know.

Comment

4now
                          you are sweet and generous. I have been in this country 23 years and the only is to be legal pay taxes and stop feeling like a prisoner. I am student that overstayed his visa and I am well educated. I know how to file taxes and the details about rental properties. My concern is if I file taxes would IRS dectect me as being out status and report me to INS. That's is what I am afraid. If I get deported I will die from grief. All my life is here and everything I love

Comment

Originally posted by 4now:
                            Hi J100

ok you are speaking of the coming year. You will receive 1099b from the bank for your interest income. Were you the beneficary of an IRA etc. you then may receive an 1099 for that source of income.. but you will have to wait for end of year for the particulars of what you will have to file. check back with us at that time.

Your accountant is correct... TENANTS do no claim rental income... LANDLORDS do. You are a LANDLORD and yes you do have to report the income you receive, and thats everywhere in USA. You will need to consult an Accountant/tax preparer for the rental income filing as there will be depreciation and expenses available for deductions from the income that you get from the rental properties. Your basis in the property will be the inherited basis.

You also asked how do people report their incomes when they are illegal... Those without valid social sec numbers use ITIN. these numbers are 9 digit number like a ssn but they all begin with the number"9". This designates that they are not a valid social . You however have a true social security #. It was legally issued to you at one time. It is just not valid for work authorization. This should not be a problem.

It would be a good time for you to think about getting in status again. Now that you have property and assets. Surely you have been here long enough to fall in love with usc to marry by now. All would be forgiven u know.
                            4now
                            is it safer for me to file taxes in 2005 reporting income for the house and all the 1099s and not mentioned that I am working?
                            please advise
                            thanks
                            J

Comment

Hi J100

Hey u better watch it with saying those nice things about me... U r gonna ruin my rep around here

YOu said:

"My concern is if I file taxes would IRS dectect me as being out status and report me to INS. That's is what I am afraid. If I get deported I will die from grief. All my life is here and everything I love"

AS I explained earlier.. currently IRS does not share info with Immigration. but Please read this thread.. and discern for yourself as to what may be coming. the link for the article is listed by the poster. The rest of the thread is interesting reading too and it gets silly towards the end but is entertaining.

http://discuss.ilw.com/eve/forums?q=...7006016555&p=1

YOu ask if it is safer to file using the rental properties and not the income? Now if I was giving advice on this and Im not b/c I dont want to hear any nasty's . However it would seem reasonable that a person would be filing a tax return for the first time b/c they inherited rental property. Then maybe in a few years they started a business and started to report that income also.

That means you havent been home in 23 years I hope you find some means to be legal here and soon. You have done well for yourself and I hope you continue.

Comment

Working...
                              X