No announcement yet.

i-751 and separation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you are single (divorced) by the end of the year, then you are considered single the entire year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry dude,but that is wrong and where did you get that from?
    So u are telling me,if a married couple pays taxes according being married on their tax forms for the whole year and by december they get divorced.By January of the new year both have to file their income Tax as single??? Sorry thats BS and makes no sence.

Besides, how was I able to file my tax the way I explained I did.
    We filed till July of 2006 as married (since we were married) and the rest of the 5 months we had to do it seperetly (cause we were not married those times we made money)

When i said its the law,i actually meant to file for taxes,sure u can file as married but seperatly,but thats a pain and often makes no sence.Unless you hav tonz and tonz of stuff to deduct.
    But this whole tax thing is now out of question and off topic....

I still wonder if the wife,or ex wife will vouch for him and her family members...

Comment

"you are considered unmarried for the whole year if, on the last day of your tax year, you are unmarried or legally separated from your spouse under a divorce or separate maintenance decree."
      IRS-Publication 17

Comment

for tax purposes only!!!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HBKHBK:
          <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you are single (divorced) by the end of the year, then you are considered single the entire year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry dude,but that is wrong and where did you get that from?
          So u are telling me,if a married couple pays taxes according being married on their tax forms for the whole year and by december they get divorced.By January of the new year both have to file their income Tax as single??? Sorry thats BS and makes no sence.

Besides, how was I able to file my tax the way I explained I did.
          We filed till July of 2006 as married (since we were married) and the rest of the 5 months we had to do it seperetly (cause we were not married those times we made money)

When i said its the law,i actually meant to file for taxes,sure u can file as married but seperatly,but thats a pain and often makes no sence.Unless you hav tonz and tonz of stuff to deduct.
          But this whole tax thing is now out of question and off topic....

I still wonder if the wife,or ex wife will vouch for him and her family members... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
          Oh, I don't know, perhaps the internal revenue code section 6013 and its subsequent regulation 1.6013-1 through 1.6013-4. Besides, you can look in Pubication 17 ch 2 or in Pubication 501 for more information.
          "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

hudson i know this is a little bit of a cheek but could u send me the link to the code sections ur stating I am having a brain dead moment and cant find them. It would be really appreciated. thanks. dee.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ntfd3:
              hudson i know this is a little bit of a cheek but could u send me the link to the code sections ur stating I am having a brain dead moment and cant find them. It would be really appreciated. thanks. dee. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
              Generally, your marital status on the last day of the year determines your status for the entire year.

If you are unmarried, or if you are legally separated from your spouse under a divorce or separate maintenance decree according to your state law, and you do not qualify for another filing status, your filing status is single. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
              From,
              http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc353.html

Also, Publication 17
              http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf
              The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dmartmar:

IF:

She said she'd do what she had to to help me with my green card...

THEN:

I am very worried about this because a few months have passed since she moved and i am worried it will affect my case. And, given the stress of my dissolved marriage, that is the last thing I want to worry about. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what this is supposed to mean? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It means you shouldn't be worrying b/c your wife (or ex) already said she'd help you get the GC. Right?

Comment

she said she'd do what she had to to help me with my green card......it means u shouldnt be worrying b/c your wife (or ex) already said she'd help u get the GC. Right?

What is being said here?..... either ur eligible or ur not. Comments like the above make me a little angry because then we sit here and argue why its so **** difficult and why the INS is so **** frustrating sometimes, is exactly because of the above comments.... I agree u can never forsee into the future and i think if half of us knew what was around the corner we wouldnt venture out...I would also be worried and on top of all ur going thru i realise this is the last thing u need to be dealing with... But the legal stand is from what i read is that if u can prove its a bona fide marriage while it was one albeit short, u have a good case?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ntfd3:
                    hudson i know this is a little bit of a cheek but could u send me the link to the code sections ur stating I am having a brain dead moment and cant find them. It would be really appreciated. thanks. dee. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                    Title 26 Electronic Code

IRC Title 26

Section 2 of the code does have some general definitions, but it is also in 6012 and 6013 of the code.
                    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation

Attorney2Attorney