Help! My boyfriends illegal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! My boyfriends illegal

My boyfriend made a mistake and let his visa expire about a year ago. His wallet was stolen and in it was his social security card and he can't get a duplicate due to the fact that hes illegal. No social security card means no license. All he wants to do is stay here and pay taxes as he would put it but obviously he can't do too much of anything. Marriage is out of the question...I love him but thats not a reason to get married and besides that I want to finish college first. Any ideas that might help him or any ideas about what he can do? Thanks

My boyfriend made a mistake and let his visa expire about a year ago. His wallet was stolen and in it was his social security card and he can't get a duplicate due to the fact that hes illegal. No social security card means no license. All he wants to do is stay here and pay taxes as he would put it but obviously he can't do too much of anything. Marriage is out of the question...I love him but thats not a reason to get married and besides that I want to finish college first. Any ideas that might help him or any ideas about what he can do? Thanks

Comment

Marriage is pretty much his only option. Do you plan to marry him someday anyway? If the answer is yes, than you should get married soon. I married my husband during my junior year in college. You can have a husband and still go to college. There are a lot of married college students. If you do not want to marry this person or feel that you just aren't mature enough for marriage yet, than there isn't much he can do. If he leaves the country, he will be barred for 10 years from re-entering. The only option is for him to stay here illegally until you ARE ready for marriage, then adjust status after your wedding. He can get a driver's license without a social security number in one of a few states. The only one I'm sure of is Oregon, but I know there are more.

If you do get married, be prepared to prove that your relationship is real and that you didn't just get married so he could get a green card.
      Have a nice day

Comment

Gov Bush in florida just recommended allowing illegals to get drivers license. Gotta love that republican thinking during election time.

Comment

Even with Jeb Bush's proposal..there are still lots of requirements.. i believ you need a ss# or ttn and other id and such..its not that easy..but at least its an option.

Comment

I went through immigration on my flight tonight, and while i was there i asked him point blank if that guest worker program is gonna happen.

He laughed. It's all for votes. The whole agency is about security and streamlining. The last thing they want is more paperwork and applications.

i agreed.

-= nav =-

Comment

Like a simple immigration officer would be able to predict the political future of immigration any more than you or I. LOL Immigration officers' enforce laws, they don't have any more of a say in making them than you are I. All they can do is let thier opinion be known. I don't value thier opinion any more than I value anybody else's.
              Have a nice day

Comment

I'm not at all familiar with immigration laws so I have another question. Can my family sponser my boyfriend?

Comment

they get internal closed-circuit meetings, internal memorandas, discussions with district directors, and internal emails within the organization.

trust me, they know more about what's going on with their organization cuz they're a PART of it. Plus their grievances through their union get heard first by top brass, before all the illegal immigrant supporters bills.

-= nav =-

Comment

stacey, your family could help you sponsor him financially - however, the only way (of which I am aware) in which he could adjust status after time with unlawful presence is marriage (or if you think he might be able to qualify as a refugee).

but even the marriage "solving everything" depends on the type of visa he was on. For example, from what I understand some student visas have a two year foreign residence requirement etc.

As for me, I do not recommend marriage for the purposes of immigration, but if you think that you do want to marry him, you might want to consider the possibility. Then, he should not leave the USA until after marriage and AOS is conducted. If he leaves the USA he will incur the 3/10 year bar (definitely) and will have to file the I-601 waiver to return (and of course marriage is a requirement here as well)

I am sorry but other than the possibility of some type of refugee status, I think the only option you have for legalization at this point is marriage.

Therefore, you will have to decide how important waiting for marriage is for you, and how important his being legal is....

I wish you both the very best of luck - you have a lot of tough decisions and soul-seeking to do!!!!

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm not ready for marriage and I feel very strongly that "immigration issues" is not good reason to get married. Thats just my opinion. My boyfriend knows this and actually feels the same way... well to an extent he does. I just wish there was some other way that I could help him, he is such a great guy. I'm not sure what kind of visa he had. I don't think the refugee thing would work...hes from Poland. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Comment

Hi. I agree with you that immigration issues are not good enough reasons to get married, although they might be ok reasons for speeding up a marriage (they sped up our civil marriage but delayed our religious marriage... sigh...)

I wish there were more options for you at the moment, but perhaps the best chance you have is to sit on it until after the election, then you will know what the chances of any helpful changes in law occuring might be (i.e. although I doubt it, there is always a chance that the foreign workers bill proposed by bush might actually slip through somehow...) of Kerry, being a democrat, and hopefully a better president than Bush, might decide to reinstate 245i (also unlikely) and he could get a a job and amnesty together....

or finally, if in some way he can qualify as an outstanding researcher or other that can provide amazing resources to the United States, that nobody else can offer... there would also be a chance.

But I think that for now all you can do is sit on it and wait.... unless he has to fulfill a foreign residence requirement, then he might want to consider doing it now...

There is not much else I can offer, but if you have a chance, please come back and let us know what you decide to do and what the end result is!!!! Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
                        X