Divorcing immigrant spouse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorcing immigrant spouse

I'll try to make it the shortest possible story.
    I'm comtemplating a divorce from my wife who is from Barbados. Things just aint quite working out and I'm really tired of the situation. We will be on our 2nd anniversary in less than 2 months and have not even had the 1st interview with USCIS (originally filed in Orlando,FL). She is about to receive her 2nd EAD in a couple wks. We have a fairly good friendship but I have recently moved out.
    Even since then I have done things for her like add her to credit accounts, bank accounts, put my name on her lease and utilities. I would like to see her have her green card as we have a child together. Our daughter was born a yr prior to the marriage in Barbados. She was registered as a US citizen at birth. I would very much love for my wife to have the freedom to travel same as my daughter and I. I think it will eleviate a lot of difficulty in the long run.
    My wife will be rapping up her doctorate in 2 yrs so i know she will probably easily get a work visa. but perm resident is the answer-all.
    My questions are:

If we have been already have been married 2yrs when the interview time does arrive? will she get a conditional card or a permanent card right way?

How can i speed things up?

If I want to get a divorce anyway what will her options be or should I just wait it out?

How soon after she gets her green card can I divorce her?

I dont want to get involved with someone else and be stuck. i've been dealing with the current wife 5 yrs total. 3 years of hell and 2 of those married. and I dont think i'm ready to deal with another 2 or 3 any more like I once thought.

I'll try to make it the shortest possible story.
    I'm comtemplating a divorce from my wife who is from Barbados. Things just aint quite working out and I'm really tired of the situation. We will be on our 2nd anniversary in less than 2 months and have not even had the 1st interview with USCIS (originally filed in Orlando,FL). She is about to receive her 2nd EAD in a couple wks. We have a fairly good friendship but I have recently moved out.
    Even since then I have done things for her like add her to credit accounts, bank accounts, put my name on her lease and utilities. I would like to see her have her green card as we have a child together. Our daughter was born a yr prior to the marriage in Barbados. She was registered as a US citizen at birth. I would very much love for my wife to have the freedom to travel same as my daughter and I. I think it will eleviate a lot of difficulty in the long run.
    My wife will be rapping up her doctorate in 2 yrs so i know she will probably easily get a work visa. but perm resident is the answer-all.
    My questions are:

If we have been already have been married 2yrs when the interview time does arrive? will she get a conditional card or a permanent card right way?

How can i speed things up?

If I want to get a divorce anyway what will her options be or should I just wait it out?

How soon after she gets her green card can I divorce her?

I dont want to get involved with someone else and be stuck. i've been dealing with the current wife 5 yrs total. 3 years of hell and 2 of those married. and I dont think i'm ready to deal with another 2 or 3 any more like I once thought.

Comment

Answers to ur questions...

1. permanent green card

2. you can not

3. wait option is better

4. anytime

goodluck...Pasha

Comment

I would like to divorce my immigrant spouse. How difficult is it? I feel that he came over here on false pretenses. He's got a very bad temper and has made it unbearable to live with him any more. I feel stuck here. It's like living with a Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. I really think he's a manic depressive and he truly scares me at times. I'm waiting to meet with my attorney but he has yet to set up an appointment with me. I just want to know what my rights are and if it's going to be very difficult to get my divorce. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to be prepared for anything I might be facing.

Comment

You don't say that your state has any requirements for petitioning for divorce, so just file. Your have a right to end a marriage, unless the court requires that you establish grounds.
          The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

If there are no red flags she should get the 10 yr card in the mail after the interview. Florida is a no fault divorce state so you do not need to establish grounds to file - get a divorce. If you want her to be able to stay in USA, then await the 2nd interview, then file.

Comment

What second interview?
              The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

Probably the one for the permanent card (if necessary). Just bear in mind, although divorced, you're still entitled to payback the state for things such as welfare, low-income assistance medical, etc if your ex-spouse decides to file for one.

Comment

Working...
                X