Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• divorce

I got married and came to USA on august 2003 and soon me and my husband applied for green card.I recieved my green card on march 2005.However my husband wants to divorce me now.Will I loose my green card if he divorces me now?For how long to i have to stay married to him to keep my green card? I heard somewhere that you need to stay married for at leart 2 years after reciving the 10 year green card in order to proove that the marriage is real...is it true?

I got married and came to USA on august 2003 and soon me and my husband applied for green card.I recieved my green card on march 2005.However my husband wants to divorce me now.Will I loose my green card if he divorces me now?For how long to i have to stay married to him to keep my green card? I heard somewhere that you need to stay married for at leart 2 years after reciving the 10 year green card in order to proove that the marriage is real...is it true?

Comment

Do you have a 10-year card? If so, a divorce will not affect your status, except in terms of eligibility for Naturalization. If your green card has "conditions" (2-year validity), you will need to remove conditions 3 months before it expires (date should be on the card). A divorce while holding a conditional green card would mean that you would have to file a waiver of the joint removal of conditions petition (I751), once you have a final judgment of divorce and prove that the marriage was bona fide.
      The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation