Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• illegal getting married

Hello,

I entered US with J-1 visa that expired 2 years ago. my boyfriend USC and I would like to get married . Is it true that the process can take about five years to get me PR?
    has anyone had experience with this?

Hello,

I entered US with J-1 visa that expired 2 years ago. my boyfriend USC and I would like to get married . Is it true that the process can take about five years to get me PR?
    has anyone had experience with this?

Comment

Did you have the condition that you had to go home for 2 years? IF that's the case, there isn't anything you can do unless you file for a waiver which from what I'm heard on this forum is pretty hard to get.

Here is the info on the INS page about adjustment of status:
      http://www.ins.gov/graphics/howdoi/lpreligibility.htm#k

Usually an AOS takes about 1 year to 18months. Then 2 years after that, you have to get your conditions removed and then 1 year after that you can apply for citizenship.

Good luck to you.

Comment

Hey marie,
        No i don't have to go home for 2 years, my ountry doesn't apply for it.
        Is there any chance ?

Comment

I think you'll be fine. It says on the INS page "You are a J-1 or J-2 exchange visitor who must comply with the two-year foreign residence requirement, and you have not met or been granted a waiver for this requirement". That's not your case so I don't think you'll have any trouble.

You can go ask the local INS office if you want.

Was that page helpful?
          It doesn't take 5 years to get your permanent residency. You'll get your conditional green card in 12 to 18 months and then 2 years after that you have to apply to have those conditions removed and a year after that you can apply for citizenship.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
          X