Faster? Marriage or Fiancee visa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faster? Marriage or Fiancee visa

Which is the faster route to the US? Marriage or fiancee visa?

I am a US citizen and my fiancee is a dual Israeli and Russian citizen. We are contemplating marriage in Canada this April.

Our questions are:
    1) Is marriage or a fiancee visa the faster route to the US?
    2) What forms are required for the fiancee visa?
    3) What forms are required for gaining access to the US if you are married?
    4) About how long will the fiancee route take?
    5) About how long will the married route take?
    6) What are the pros & cons of gaining access to the US via fiancee visa versus gaining access via already being married.

Thank you

Which is the faster route to the US? Marriage or fiancee visa?

I am a US citizen and my fiancee is a dual Israeli and Russian citizen. We are contemplating marriage in Canada this April.

Our questions are:
    1) Is marriage or a fiancee visa the faster route to the US?
    2) What forms are required for the fiancee visa?
    3) What forms are required for gaining access to the US if you are married?
    4) About how long will the fiancee route take?
    5) About how long will the married route take?
    6) What are the pros & cons of gaining access to the US via fiancee visa versus gaining access via already being married.

Thank you

Comment

Hey, why don't you go to www.britishexpats.com/forum and then click on US Marriage Based Visas forum. There are lots of people there to answer your questions and FAQ's to answer these questions on your own. Also www.k1faq.com is good, as is www.visajourney.com

Quickness of the K1 depends on where you, the USC lives and what service center you fall under. The K3 visa is a little more complicated. If you are a newbie, I suggest doing some research.

Comment

1) It depends on where you live, but except for Vermont, the K1 and the K3 process currently have a relatively similar time frame from start to finish. K1 edges out K3 if you can file at the EAC. Note: processing times are subject to change.
        2) There is a nice list at www.uscis.gov
        3) You need an immigrant visa or a visa allowing admission of a prospective immigrant, i.e. IV or K (and V for old LPR petitions). In certain cases a nonimmigrant visa, visa waiver, or parole allows entry.*
        4) About a year for most K1/2.
        5) About a year for most K3/4. Several years for IV.
        6) There are many, but one advantage to the fiancé(e) route, is that if everything goes to hell with either the relationship or the immigration process, it is easy to cut your loses and start a new relationship. In addition, AOS process is easier for the fiancé(e)s. One advantage to marriage is the availability of certain waivers if your spouse has a bad history.

*You have to prove you are not a potential immigrant, a very hard thing to do.

Post Script: Don't forget the children! Minors can come with a parent, but can not get the short cut visas by themselves. So if you circumvent immigration law by entering as a tourist and then filing for AOS, you are going to have to wait years for USCIS to process I-130 petitions for the little children left crying back home.

Comment

Working...
        X