Marriage and such.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage and such.

first i cant find anything on this, but ive heard after 180 days after turning 18 you become illeagal, theres already been paper work filed on my fiance when she was younger but that didnt work out so well. and how long will it take after we get married for her to be able to get a job? residency?

first i cant find anything on this, but ive heard after 180 days after turning 18 you become illeagal, theres already been paper work filed on my fiance when she was younger but that didnt work out so well. and how long will it take after we get married for her to be able to get a job? residency?

Comment

i am a citizen, she is here. i guess her parents brought her here when she was young and as for the other specifics i know she has a social security card, but its my understanding that since her neither of her parents became citizens before she turned 18 that kinda screwed her over. she said there were applications in the past, and she said that it does change a few things. but shes not to sure on alot of this herself. and i for sure LOVE this woman.

Comment

thank you very much. theres no truth to that 180 day thing though? a friend pointed it out on some forum he found. if we can wait to have a nice big wedding id rather do that, but i dont want her being here illeagaly.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cntrld:
          thank you very much. theres no truth to that 180 day thing though? a friend pointed it out on some forum he found. if we can wait to have a nice big wedding id rather do that, but i dont want her being here illeagaly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
          if one is present in the USA without a proper authorisation, he/she is illegal regardless of age. However, for the purpose of being banned from entering the USA again, one starts to accumulate overstay after 18th birthday. If the total overstay is more than 180 days, ban is 3 years; for the one of more than a yer, ban is 10 years.

Ban starts when a person who overstayed leaves the USA.

What you can do, and how long it may take, would greatly depend on two things:
          1. did she enter the USA with a visa?
          2. when were the previous petitiones filed and by whom ?

Comment

thank you very much for your help. she doesnt know ive asked anyone about this yet, but im gonna show her today and maybe she can fill you in on some other stuff she has questions about.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davdah:
              It will be much easier to adjust her status while she is here and not back in her home country. Its still doable but do you want to be apart for a couple years? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
              Not everybody in the USA can adjust status here. It all depends whether she entered with a visa, and what kind of petition and when was filed on her behalf.

Comment

If she entered without inspection and is not covered by 245(i), she can't adjust status in the USA.

Comment

Working...
                X