No announcement yet.

N-400--don't have all dates.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • N-400--don't have all dates.

    I am filling out the N-400 and I don't have the exact dates of all trips I have taken outside the US. I have the return dates, because my passport was always stamped when I returned to the US, of course. But I have made several trips to my home country and they don't stamp my passport there. I'm trying to track down old ticket records and the like, but what if I can't find all of them? What have others in this situation done?

  • #2
    If the trips were less than 24hrs, I don't think you have to mention them. Otherwise they do want the actual dates I'm afraid. I had one trip outside the USA after I applied for N-400 but before my interview and she asked for the exact dates. Luckily I had kept my ticket stub.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."


    • #3
      Thanks, I was afraid of that. I've had my greencard since I was 4 and some of those trips are a looooooooong time ago :B

      I did find that you can make a FOIA request to the NCIS for documents relating to your arrivals and departures, so I'm going to try that and see if they have anything useful. This can't be the first time they've had this situation...:B


      • #4
        Just estimate, but remember that is not an excuse to be deliberately inaccurate. Not trying to cover up long or many absences?


        • #5
          I'm easily within the continuous residency requirement--there are a number of trips but they are spread out over, like...almost 15 years. And I've dug up precise dates for most of them. I just don't want to have trouble because of an inaccuracy on my application.

          Edit: Not exactly related, but on one trip to Europe I passed through the Toronto airport and the Canadians stamped my passport, but I never left the airport and was there for only a few hours. Do I need to mention Canada as a country I visited?


          • #6
            Technically, yes. But remember, what they are looking for is how much time you spent outside the U.S. with regard to actual place of abode. Short trips abroad are not of interest to USCIS unless they add up to more than six months a year. Don't worry about estimating the trips.


            • #7
              I am in a similar situation. I had some trips longer than 6 month but less than 1 year. But in the last 3 years I did not leave the US at all ( I have been married to an American citizen for 8 years now and we have been living together all this time, we have 2 kids now 7 and 2 years old).

              Will these trips be a problem?

              thank you all for your help.


              • #8
                Hi Melseifi,

                Take a look at this: Since you haven't taken any trips in the past 3 years, it might not be an issue as they are looking for continuous residence. Maybe some others here will know the answer. Good luck!


                What if I was outside the United States
                between 6 and 12 months?

                If you leave the United States for more than 6 months, but less than 1 year, you have broken
                or disrupted your continuous residence
                unless you can prove otherwise. Read the
                “Document Checklist” in the back of this
                Guide to find out what information you
                must give to prove you did not break your
                continuous residence.


                • #9
                  Proud USC,

                  Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I read the link and the directions for filling the N400 form, but just wanted a second opinion. Here are some details about my situation:

                  Married June 2000
                  Resident since 04/23/2001
                  Left the country in 5/2003 and returned in 4/2004.
                  Left again in 4/2004 (stayed one week only) and back in 2/2005.
                  Moved back to the US in 2006 and stayed till today.

                  I left because I lost my full time job at the time but I was able to remain employed in the US (online) and never failed to file taxes.

                  Once I was able to get a full time job in 2006, we move back here and never left since.

                  I am not sure how they will regard these 3 years where I had to stay out of the country, but partially employed and filling taxes.

                  PS I am applying on the Married 3 years version.


                  • #10
                    Hi Melseifi,

                    From the same guide, I found this:

                    Attachment A - Naturalization Eligibility Worksheet

                    I have been a Permanent Resident for three to five years

                    I am married to, and living with, a U.S.

                    I have been married to that U.S. citizen
                    for at least the past three years.

                    My spouse has been a U.S. citizen
                    for at least the past three years.

                    During the past three years, I have not been out of the country for 18 months or more.

                    I believe you are covered (per the text I highlighted in bold).