If I get married...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I get married...

So I'm a UK citizen, and a girl I've been dating for a few months say she'd marry me so I could get citizenship...

Right now I'm illegal (came with my family, who came on B1/B2 visas and overstayed). If I got married and started the green card application, am I able to get a driver's license and start working as soon as the application process is started or do I have to wait until the final approval which can take 5+ years?

So I'm a UK citizen, and a girl I've been dating for a few months say she'd marry me so I could get citizenship...

Right now I'm illegal (came with my family, who came on B1/B2 visas and overstayed). If I got married and started the green card application, am I able to get a driver's license and start working as soon as the application process is started or do I have to wait until the final approval which can take 5+ years?

Comment

Hi Spark3d,

Welcome to the forum. You will need to wait until your paperwork has been approved before you can get a driver's license and begin working. The process is not that simple and hopefully you are marrying for love and not just to get a green card. The folks at USCIS are quite suspicious of this sort of thing.

Comment

I sounds like you are after a GC!!

This is really sad!!!

Hopefully children will not get in the middle of this.... REALLY SAD!

Comment

what makes you say the process may take 5+ years?

Comment

After reading his previous post, he is just a kid trying to figure out how he can become legal here so he can earn a living. Let's not be too hard on him. His family came over on a tourist visa 5 years ago and didn't leave. He probably had no say in this matter and is now suffering the consequences.

Comment

No, I wouldn't get 'business' married solely for the purpose of getting a green card. I may get married earlier, much earlier, than I would normally, aware that it would ease my status.

Marriage is perfecly normal between a girl and a guy who like each other, so the only unusual thing is my age. And no, no way in hell I'd have kids. It'd be a usual gf/bf relationship with a technical marriage for immigration purposes primarily. We'd probably be living together since I have an apartment and semi-secure job.

These are side issues. What I'm wondering is roughly how long would it take before I could legally work and drive?

Comment

This is yet another example of parents absolving themselves of any responsibility for their children...and placing them in an impossible situation.

The parents knew what they were doing when they decided to disrespect America by ignoring its laws and sovereignty...but they gave no thought to their kid's future, and now he's an adult illegal alien.

I fully concur with davdah's warning to Spark3d, and advise him against his proposed course of action.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spark3d:
                  No, I wouldn't get 'business' married solely for the purpose of getting a green card. I may get married earlier, much earlier, than I would normally, aware that it would ease my status.

Marriage is perfecly normal between a girl and a guy who like each other, so the only unusual thing is my age. And no, no way in hell I'd have kids. It'd be a usual gf/bf relationship with a technical marriage for immigration purposes primarily. We'd probably be living together since I have an apartment and semi-secure job.

These are side issues. What I'm wondering is roughly how long would it take before I could legally work and drive? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're getting married much, much earlier so you can get a green card. No matter how you try and justify it to yourself, it's fraud.

And people don't get married because they like each other. They get married because they're in love and want to spend the rest of their lives together.

However, the technical answer to your question is that you would be able to work etc IF your EAD etc is approved. I'm also with Davdah on this. You may be willing to take the risk, but does your girlfriend know that she could spend a long time in jail too?
                  The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So I'm a UK citizen, and a girl I've been dating for a few months say she'd marry me so I could get citizenship...

Right now I'm illegal (came with my family, who came on B1/B2 visas and overstayed). If I got married and started the green card application, am I able to get a driver's license and start working as soon as the application process is started or do I have to wait until the final approval which can take 5+ years? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The process will only take about 6 or 9 months.
                    I-130, I-485 and I-765. When your EAD (I-765)application is approved you can apply for ss#
                    and driver's license.

To get the green card you have to prove
                    your marriage is in good faith base on evidence
                    submitted and the result of your interview.

Comment

Good Luck with your marriage. People do get married at the early age, too. As long as you have legit marriage and have all the docs. there should be no problem. And above all, this is the only way to legalize too according to our broken immigration system. Whenever, a citizen marries a immigrant, they will apply to adjust status. This is not something new.As soon you get married, you need to apply for adjustment and apply for I-765 too for your work permit. Which you'll get it as long as your case is pending, and then you can get drivers lic., SS# and all. And can work too and support yourself and your wife. Wish you all the luck.

Comment

Sunshine3: Please explain how, in Spark3d's case, America's immigration system is "broken" as you assert.

Is it America's fault that his parents thought themselves way too important and entitled to adhere to America's laws and respect its sovereignty?

Is it America's fault that his parents immigrated illegally, with full knowledge of their actions and intentions?

Is it America's fault that his parents brought him illegally to America...and then left him to sort out the immigration-related mess that they created?

I'm confident that I'm not the only one who would be interested in hearing how you believe this to be America's fault.

Comment

I said this before and I'm saying it again now. This is with due respect to your thoughts. But I'm feeling a little bit of a discomfort when the issue at hand is viewed narrowly and simplistically.

That's supposed to be OK in the global context, I mean from the universal perspective, in any country for that matter, that's a violation, an infringement, an encroachment, or a trespass that would be dealt with differently, a repulsive act, punishable by the extreme extent of the law.

Yet we are talking here of the greatest country on earth, an immigrant's magnet and a foreigner's dream, a resplendent city sitting on the hill, an anecdotal adventurer's paradise.

It is the US of A that we're talking about here. Peoples from different lands look upon America as the proverbial land of milk and honey, an ocean of opportunities, the bastion of freedom and fairness.

I don't say this based on theories, but I'm saying all this from my own personal background. I'm both from here and from the outside. I just don't believe all this, but I lived through the experience.

Accordingly, this matter (US immigration), in any form of argumentation and debate, is almost obscene to be dealt with strictly inside the metallic confines of laws, legalese, and jurisprudence (disrespect of laws and sovereignty and the likes).

Almost always, these realities should be treated in the context of a human face and values. Not just legal but moral. Not just criminality but human behavior. Not just immigrants' guilt but mutual needs. Not just foreigners' desire but America's history.

No one needs to be reminded, that this is the United States of America, it's not spelled Tibet, Sudan or Cuba. (No offense meant to these countries and their people - just being said for the sake of argument).

To reject this reality is to turn your back away from the undying tenets and principles of what this great country have been built on.

One can't be so without being impertinent, irrelevant, out of context, and off-tempo with the march of time.

Comment

This is not about a long relationship where both parties have discussed marriage and intend to get married at some point. You said it yourself, you're getting married SOLELY for the GC, no intent or commitment, nothing.

You described it as "bf/gf", and those relationships are informal, unstable and experimental. It's not the same, you don't even know if you want to live with your wife.

Have you dated long? Do you love each other? Have you been there for each other when the going gets tough?

You are planning to commit a crime, plain and simple. Shame on you.

Comment

But then again, by not necessarily getting case-specific in this thread, what else is there to do? Using, nope, abusing one of the most sacred institutions in human existence which is MARRIAGE is indeed disgusting, if shameful. Once again, what other choices do aliens (who were brought in by their parents young) in the same situations have? Fall in line? Which line? Do it the right way? Which way?

Comment

Working...
                              X