Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

puerto rican citizen are US citizen too?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• puerto rican citizen are US citizen too?

I'm just curious if they are, because my mom is a citizen of saipan (american territory) but that doesn't make her a US citizen, i know that puerto rico is american territory too but they don't pay taxes to the US right? if you are a citizen of puerto rico does that make you a US citizen?
    chinita

I'm just curious if they are, because my mom is a citizen of saipan (american territory) but that doesn't make her a US citizen, i know that puerto rico is american territory too but they don't pay taxes to the US right? if you are a citizen of puerto rico does that make you a US citizen?
    chinita

Comment

Puerto Ricans are U.S. Citizens.

Comment

Thanks sundevil. that's good, because i am me and my husband are planning to visit in puerto rico but since i am still waiting for my GC i didn't know if i can go to other country, i can go to all other state here in america, maybe in puerto rico i can go to since it is america too.
        chinita

Comment

Yes, you should have no trouble traveling to Puerto Rico, as it is considered to be domestic travel.

However, Puerto Rico is NOT actually "America too."

Puerto Rico is a Commonwealth associated with the United States, and while its people are American Citizens, the island itself is not part of the United States (although, of course, it is under American jurisdiction and sovereignty).

Comment

sorry i thought the citizen in saipan are not US citizen, but somebody told me that if you are citizen of saipan you are us citizen too.
            chinita

Comment

thanks again. well we will be planning our vacation next month. this is great news.
              chinita

Comment

I hope that you have a wonderful visit.

Comment

Solodocat: You say that your mom is a citizen of Saipan. It is my understanding that she was, thus, born in the Northern Mariana Islands. Initially, I thought that those born in the Northern Mariana Islands were U.S. Nationals, but not U.S. Citizens.

A little further research leads me to believe that they are, in fact, U.S. Citizens (but you may want to check this further).

If your mom is a U.S. Citizen as a result of birth in the Northern Mariana Islands, you may be able to claim U.S. Citizenship through your mother. At the very least, it is worth a little investigation.

I realize that you're in the process of obtaining permanent resident status, but nothing beats being an American :-)

Comment

http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/Asia-and-Oceania/Uni...RTHERN-MARIANAS.html

Comment

Hi sundevil you're right about that, my mom been living there in saipan for 15 years now, she wanted me to be there with her since when i was 10, i am 22 now, but i didn't want to for personal reason, and its true i can claim to be citizen through her but i don't want to, id rather be a citizen through my husband as i am closer to my husband than my mother:-) beside my husband is a USC too and he never gave me hardship emotional so far hehe
                      chinita

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">beside my husband is a USC too and he never gave me hardship emotional so far hehe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And if he was to start, then what?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by solodacat:
                          I'm just curious if they are, because my mom is a citizen of saipan (american territory) but that doesn't make her a US citizen, i know that puerto rico is american territory too but they don't pay taxes to the US right? if you are a citizen of puerto rico does that make you a US citizen? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                          Your mother is a US National, one step below a USC and one step above a permanent resident.
                          "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

then if he was to start then what?

dmartmar if he was it is not your problem haha.
                            chinita

Comment

Hudson: Once again, you're wrong. Citizens of the Northern Mariana Islands have been U.S. Citizens since 1986.

Comment

Working...
                              X