Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax returns for green card

Bs'd

I need to renew my green card... and the 1st timE I didn't file taxes... My new lawer ask me to file taxes but we were not working all this time! we've supported by our parents (me and my husband)...
    But she insisted that at least we need to file taxes of money owned... I spoke with an accounting and he saiD there's not such a thing...you Only file taxes of money earning...

My question is: DO I NEED TO FILE TAXES IN ORDER TO GET THE RENEWAL OF MY GREEN CARD? (TO GET THE PERMANENT ONE)

I'D REALLY APPRECIATE ANY RESPONSE!!!

Bs'd

I need to renew my green card... and the 1st timE I didn't file taxes... My new lawer ask me to file taxes but we were not working all this time! we've supported by our parents (me and my husband)...
    But she insisted that at least we need to file taxes of money owned... I spoke with an accounting and he saiD there's not such a thing...you Only file taxes of money earning...

My question is: DO I NEED TO FILE TAXES IN ORDER TO GET THE RENEWAL OF MY GREEN CARD? (TO GET THE PERMANENT ONE)

I'D REALLY APPRECIATE ANY RESPONSE!!!

Comment

B umping this question up for you, hoping someone has an answer
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
      1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sheilior:
        Bs'd

I'D REALLY APPRECIATE ANY RESPONSE!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hellow Sheilior

It doesnt sound like you need to renew your greencard if your lawyer is asking for tax returns. It sounds like you need to have the conditions removed on the CPR that you received thru marriage. In this case, then you need to file the I-751 joint petition. (to obtain the Permanent one. LPR)

Please let me know if my assesment is correct. then I will further advise.

If this

Comment

Bs'd

Hi,
          Thasnks for our reply!
          YES, I need to remove the conditions!
          I changed the lawer I was using, and the new one ask me to file taxes returns... but I didn't do it, the first time... will be a problem if I file to get the permanent green card without presenting tax returns???

THANKS IN ADVANCED!!!

Comment

Did you or your husband work at all in the two years since you got married?

Comment

Bs'd

He was trying to do some real estate by himself but wasns't so good... so he didn't earn any salary... and before I was doing something, before I had my doughter 2 year ago, but It was kind of voluntare job...
              Let's say the last 2 years we've been supported by our parents.... Now, again, what I should do?

Thanks

Comment

ok but all I am asking is did you earn any income? if no income then thats what it is.

If you did earn something, then file a tax return for your own benefit. not uscis or anyone else. especially if you have child, then you are eligible to receive earned income credit. (basically free money 4u 4 having low income) and for the tax year 2007, if you have income tax filed, you may be eligible for the tax stimulus package they could bring you up to $1500 in stimulus refund between may and august.

So lets try this again.

did you or your spouse receive any income from any sources for the past two years or so?

Comment

Bs'd

NO...
                  jUST MONEY FROM PARENTS!!!

Comment

Hi sheilior,

my suggestion is for you to talk to an accountant ask if you need to file a tax return
                    even you didn't make any money.Ask if they have a suggestion and mentioned the purpose on why you need it ( for your GC) And from what I know USCIS will ask for a joint tax return.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sheilior:
                      Bs'd

I'D REALLY APPRECIATE ANY RESPONSE!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                      All you need to do is obtain a letter from the IRS showing verification of non filing. You can obtain the form by visiting the IRS web site. The address on where to file is located on the form. The information will take about two weeks. UScIS will accept this form that you did not file a return and was not required to.

No need to call an accountant, H&R block or anyone else.
                      "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Bs'd

Hudson,

But, this paper might work against me in order to remove the conditions of my green card!!!
                        Meaning that the goverment also would want to give a green card to someone that is able to support me! Am I right?

Comment

Bs'd

Hudson,

But, this paper might work against me in order to remove the conditions of my green card!!!
                          Meaning that the goverment also would want to give a green card to someone that is able to support me! Am I right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi sheilor

the tax returns not being filed are not sole criteria for removing conditions on your conditional green card. I am going to assume that the parents are the co sponser along with your husband. Is that correct? the sponser has already been approved. Uscis could care less if you ever work a day in your life, becuase there is a sponser that is responsible 4 u. You are probably lacking other evidences to prove a bonafide marriage. So lack of the 1040 as proof is just one more thing on the list that you dont have.

You may however have a problem in removing conditions based on evidence submitted. Please tell us what evidences that you are going to submit with the 751 application.

If neither of you work, and your parents pay for everything, there is probably not much evidence to show. this will probably trigger a personal interview in order to determine that your marriage is not a sham or convience marriage.

you should be gathering any type of joint paperwork that you can. joint cell phone bills, video memberships cable bills, mail addressed to both such as invitations. etc.

Do you live with the parents, or do you both have a place and the parents pay all the bills for you or give you money? If the latter is the case, then you will have evidences that uscis is looking for.

Of course, the child (birth certificate ) is the strongest proof you have and is the grand prize for getting your approval.

Good Luck

Comment

bs'd

When I file to get my permanent green card, do I need to be in the country?
                            if I come back right back before my green card is expired may I have problems to get in the usa in any chance?

Thanks in advanced!

Comment

Bs'd

Hudson,

Meaning that the goverment also would want to give a green card to someone that is able to support me! Am I right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                              What USCIS needs to find out is whether you are substantially complying with all the laws. The letter only confirms that you did not file and you will state there was no requirement to file because you had no income. The parents will state that they gave or loaned you money, whichever applies.

Do not worry. This is only the bureaucracy at work.
                              "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Working...
                              X