URGENT international travel question; fact-based advice respectfully requested

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT international travel question; fact-based advice respectfully requested

My wife is originally from Colombia and she has a Colombian passport in her maiden name. She recently received her permanent resident card, obviously in her married name.

She is VERY EAGER to go to Colombia, and I was going to buy her a plane ticket for next Saturday.

The problem is that the lady from the airline said that the name on the ticket MUST match here name on her passport.

BUT then her name WON'T match on her permanent resident card.

SO I called our paralegal that assisted us with her immigration paperwork, and she said to get her plane ticket in her married name, which matches her permanent resident card, and then go to the Colombian Consulate in on Manhattan Monday (we live in NY) and they can stamp her new name into her current passport and she'll be good to go.

My question is:

Is this valid advice?

Is it simple, easy and fast to have this done?

Can I confidently buy her a plane ticket today and be ASSURED that this can be resolved with one visit to the Consulate on Monday? That we won't have a hangup which will cause us to lose out on $600 after buying the ticket?

She won't need a brand new passport, that may take a while to get, will she?

Any and all FACT BASED advice is appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time.

My wife is originally from Colombia and she has a Colombian passport in her maiden name. She recently received her permanent resident card, obviously in her married name.

She is VERY EAGER to go to Colombia, and I was going to buy her a plane ticket for next Saturday.

The problem is that the lady from the airline said that the name on the ticket MUST match here name on her passport.

BUT then her name WON'T match on her permanent resident card.

SO I called our paralegal that assisted us with her immigration paperwork, and she said to get her plane ticket in her married name, which matches her permanent resident card, and then go to the Colombian Consulate in on Manhattan Monday (we live in NY) and they can stamp her new name into her current passport and she'll be good to go.

My question is:

Is this valid advice?

Is it simple, easy and fast to have this done?

Can I confidently buy her a plane ticket today and be ASSURED that this can be resolved with one visit to the Consulate on Monday? That we won't have a hangup which will cause us to lose out on $600 after buying the ticket?

She won't need a brand new passport, that may take a while to get, will she?

Any and all FACT BASED advice is appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time.

Comment

talk to the consulate on Monday about the procedure...it varies from one country to other. You'll be smarter after that.

Many people have been in similar situation: passport and ticket in maiden name, GC in married name. It has been recommended to them to carry marriage license as a supporting document. I haven't heard that anybody had a problem returning to the US.

Comment

Can I confidently buy the plane ticket today in her married name, which matches here green card, and purchase a plane ticket today for next Saturday, without worrying about any hangups or throwing money away, or should I play it super safe and hold off until we are definitely situated?

The thing is she wants to go as soon as possible and I'd rather take her to the airport on a weekend day.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I haven't heard that anybody had a problem returning to the US </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And going?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timmy_d11:
            <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I haven't heard that anybody had a problem returning to the US </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And going? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The name on the ticket and passport have to match. Nobody will be checking her GC on the way out.

I would wait till Monday. If the passport can be amended in the matters of hours or days, all the problems will be solved.

Maybe somebody here will come up with his/her experience.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timmy_d11:
              Can I confidently buy the plane ticket today in her married name, which matches here green card, and purchase a plane ticket today for next Saturday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no. She probably wan't be able to border a plane if ticket doesn't match her ID - which is a passport for international travel.

Comment

I will tell you the answer: The airplane ticket must match the name in the passport.

When she comes back. she will show her passport and green card to the POE officer. If he asks why they dont match, explain and show your MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE. I always travel with my AOS documents and a marriage certificate just in case. Never had a any problem.

Comment

Get her name changed on the passport by the consulate. It won't take much time. This is the most secure procedure.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Man:
                    Get her name changed on the passport by the consulate. It won't take much time. This is the most secure procedure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much time is not much time - hours, days, weeks?

She must go ASAP - I want her to be with her mother FINALLY, especially while she is sick.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cayita:
                      I will tell you the answer: The airplane ticket must match the name in the passport.

When she comes back. she will show her passport and green card to the POE officer. If he asks why they dont match, explain and show your MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE. I always travel with my AOS documents and a marriage certificate just in case. Never had a any problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will this DEFINITELY get her by with NO problems?

I'd rather go this route, if she'll have NO problems, over trying to get her name changed on her passport at the Colombian Consulate, which could take much valuable time.

I have heard that they can "stamp" her new name in her passport at the Colombian Consulate. Can this be done in one visit? Would it be acceptable to the airlines? Or will she need to take the time to get a whole new passport in her new name?

Again, if she can get by without all of this, I'd rather her not waste the time - I want her to go practically immediately.

Comment

wait a minute.....I thought you were the self appointed expert on all visa and immigration matters....but it seems you don't even know the answer to a simple rule....better call jesus and see if he'll force the airlines to board your Colombian spouse......operators are standing by.....

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Someone12:
                          wait a minute.....I thought you were the self appointed expert on all visa and immigration matters....but it seems you don't even know the answer to a simple rule....better call jesus and see if he'll force the airlines to board your Colombian spouse......operators are standing by..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, never claimed to be that, but I am a great judge of character and know an imbecile when I read his nonsensical thoughts and ideas.

Comment

still waitin' for that call from jesus....and you are still dodging any detailed questions or issues.....

Comment

Hey smallbrain12, I am an agnostic and therefore unsure about what I believe.

But I have one very serious question for you (and a couple of sub-questions)

Are you happy with who you are and how you behave, if you REALLY thought about it?

If you were judged, can you even tell yourself honestly that you would not be very ashamed of yourself over how you have treated other human beings?

Shouldn't you REALLY be ashamed of yourself?

Seriously.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed