Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am a US citizen.....can I sponsor my nephew and neice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am a US citizen.....can I sponsor my nephew and neice?

Hey folks,
    just a quick question......my nephew and neice have finished high school back in England and want to come over to work in the US for a year before returning to start University. Are there any kind of temporary visa's they can get or can I sponsor them in some way?
    Thanks for reading my post

Hey folks,
    just a quick question......my nephew and neice have finished high school back in England and want to come over to work in the US for a year before returning to start University. Are there any kind of temporary visa's they can get or can I sponsor them in some way?
    Thanks for reading my post

Comment

Other than the visitor visa (which would only allow them to come here for six months) or visa waiver (three months in US), there are not many, if any, visa programs for people so young. There is the student visa- they can come here to study for one year on the F or J visa but they would have to be "sponsored" by a school or program.

Comment

I figured that would be the case. Still you would think that I can sponsor their parents for a green card that I would be able to sponsor them. oh well............thanks for getting back to me

Comment

Hey Paddy, long time no see.

I guess now you are experiencing the USC side of things regarding immigration lol
          Hope all is good with you.
          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
          1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paddy:
            Hey folks,
            Thanks for reading my post </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
            J visa might work as a trainee.
            "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

They're too young for the J-1 as a trainee. You have to have 5 years of work experience or 2 years of college + 1 year of experience. And they're from the U.K. so no 2 year home residency for them.

You could sponsor their parents, but by the time their parents "number" came up to get the green card, the kids would be too old to benefit.

Comment

Why can't they work in England?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paddy:
                  Hey folks,
                  Thanks for reading my post </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just Curious? Why Come to USA to work for one year then return to UK For higher edjucation????
                  Are they Doing research In USA Occupation?
                  USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

Comment

No. And, by the way, there is no such thing as sponsorship for VWP or visitor visa.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sprint_girl07:

I guess now you are experiencing the USC side of things regarding immigration lol
                      Hope all is good with you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its good to be back Sprint!!!! Even though it was a long, hard and frustrating process getting my green card and eventual citizenship, I did really enjoy my time on this website.........so I think i will get back into posting more here.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tak:
                        Why can't they work in England? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They can work in the UK if they want to.......they are British citizens. Basically my neice and nephew want to have some fun and adventure before settling down to the serious business of getting a degree. I think I am just going to suggust to them to follow the same path as me when I first discovered America.......I decided to take a year out before going to university in England.... where I worked my *** off in a British Civil Service job, saved my money, then worked at a summer camp in NH before spending the next couple of months after camp traveling........one of the best summers of my life. I was given a one year J1 visa at the time which allowed me to work at the summer camp and then stay in the country to travel..........and when I say work...it was essentially unpaid work because the camp pays for your flight from the UK and feeds you for the camp season.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sprint_girl07:

Hope all is good with you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its good to be back Sprint!!!! Even though it was a long, hard and frustrating process getting my green card and eventual citizenship, I did really enjoy my time on this website.........so I think i will get back into posting more here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know what you mean, has been a long process for me too and still not reached Citizenship yet.

Well welcome aboard again I am sure you will remember certain longtime ILW residents from the past, some more than others lol

I was going to mention camp working, but wasn't sure if you want them to come to your area or just anywhere in the US for work.

One of my relatives did Camp America some years ago and then went touring seeing the sights before returning back to studying.
                          He loved it.

Tak, it is quite common for Brits to take a gap year out and go traveling somewhere, whether work experience of just see the world.
                          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
                          1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

Working...
                          X