Green Card for new immigrants.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Card for new immigrants.

Can somebody tell me how long is it taking these days for a legal permanent resident to receive his GC after landing in the States?
    If it differs from State to State,then I am talking about Illinois.
    Thanks.

Can somebody tell me how long is it taking these days for a legal permanent resident to receive his GC after landing in the States?
    If it differs from State to State,then I am talking about Illinois.
    Thanks.

Comment

Have you all ready been granted LPR staus? If so, your 1-155 should have been given to you on a temporary card. It can take a year to get the real card but your temp card is valid for a year and then if you still haven't received your real card, you can renew your temp card at your district office. You can also file the G-731 form (free) or 1-824 ($200).

If you are no all ready an LPR - then it will take as long as your category. Could be a while.

Comment

people entering the US on immigrant visa (like IR-1) report receiving the actual GC within a few weeks.

Roxio, it would be helpful if you clarify your immigrant status. One is not considered a permanent resident before "landing in the States".

Comment

Well,being in the immediate family based category I have received the immigrant visa stamped on my passport as well as the landing papers from the US embassy in my home country.
          Now I am scheduled to land in US next month.My question was:
          After I have landed with IV already stamped on my passport,how long does it take to actually receive the plastic card?

Comment

people entering the US on immigrant visa (like IR-1) report receiving the actual GC within a few weeks

Comment

Do you have an address? Have you filed your address? Have you preapplied for you SS#? Make sure you have filed an address.

For some it has been a few weeks - for others about a year.

Comment

dragonlady,yes I have notified them of my address there,it is printed on the landing papers.
                During the immigrant process,in one of the forms(DS-230)I had checked a box which asked me whether I need the SS.
                So they have the address.

Comment

Working...
                X