Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I go to Puerto Rico with expired I-94 and I-485; I-130 pending?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I go to Puerto Rico with expired I-94 and I-485; I-130 pending?

Can I go to Puerto Rico with expired I-94 and I-485; I-130 pending? I am a Polish citizen living in US. I came to the US in 1997 as a tourist (visa B2) and never left the country. In May, 2004 I got married to US citizen and in October we filled forms I-485; I-130; I-797 with USIC. The form I-797 was approved (I have Employment Authorization Card and Social Security) and forms I-485 and I-130 are still pending. On April 2, 2005 we had an interview with USIC officer and it went well accept that we had to show joint tax return for 2004 witch we are still waiting for IRS to send them to us (certified copies take at least 60 days). My question is. I would like to go for vacation to Puerto Rico with my husband, our 6 months old daughter and my parents in-law. I don't think I will get my green card before that because we just got a letter from USIC that the officer who was previously assigned to work on our case is no longer with UCIS and that the case is being re-assigned to anther officer for completion. On airline website there is a statement: "for Puerto Rico exit Requirements, Immigrations pre-inspection may take place prior to departure requiring customers to provide proof of their legal right to enter the U.S. "I called Airlines, USIC customer service and US customs. I got the same answer from everybody "Yes we think you can go as long as you have Government Issue ID (that would be my EAC, but on the card there is a note "not valid for reentry to US") because Puerto Rico is a US Territory and I am not living the Country. I am still not sure if I can go because they weren't sure. I do not want to take a chance that I will be separated from my 6 months old daughter (us citizen) and my husband. I would really appreciated you answer on this matter. My trip to Puerto Rico is booked for July 3, 2005. Thank you very much for your time.

Can I go to Puerto Rico with expired I-94 and I-485; I-130 pending? I am a Polish citizen living in US. I came to the US in 1997 as a tourist (visa B2) and never left the country. In May, 2004 I got married to US citizen and in October we filled forms I-485; I-130; I-797 with USIC. The form I-797 was approved (I have Employment Authorization Card and Social Security) and forms I-485 and I-130 are still pending. On April 2, 2005 we had an interview with USIC officer and it went well accept that we had to show joint tax return for 2004 witch we are still waiting for IRS to send them to us (certified copies take at least 60 days). My question is. I would like to go for vacation to Puerto Rico with my husband, our 6 months old daughter and my parents in-law. I don't think I will get my green card before that because we just got a letter from USIC that the officer who was previously assigned to work on our case is no longer with UCIS and that the case is being re-assigned to anther officer for completion. On airline website there is a statement: "for Puerto Rico exit Requirements, Immigrations pre-inspection may take place prior to departure requiring customers to provide proof of their legal right to enter the U.S. "I called Airlines, USIC customer service and US customs. I got the same answer from everybody "Yes we think you can go as long as you have Government Issue ID (that would be my EAC, but on the card there is a note "not valid for reentry to US") because Puerto Rico is a US Territory and I am not living the Country. I am still not sure if I can go because they weren't sure. I do not want to take a chance that I will be separated from my 6 months old daughter (us citizen) and my husband. I would really appreciated you answer on this matter. My trip to Puerto Rico is booked for July 3, 2005. Thank you very much for your time.

Comment

You may apply for Advance Parole. This is the site:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/travdoc.htm

Try to visit ur nearest USCIS and see if they could automatically issue u an advance parole than waiting for the whole process (30-90 days) base on ur situation.

Good luck.

Comment

When you apply for advance parole, u must of course bring proof and documentation, ticket, receipt of pending I-485, etc. In ur case, they might give you an advance parole right away because of the situation. Or worse, you will have to file it and wait 30-90 days.

Comment

Ola: You are not eligible to use Advance Parole, as you were illegally in America for more than 365 days. It is best that you don't leave the country at all before you receive your Permanent Residency (Green Card).

If you leave the country before receiving your Permanent Residency...even with Advance Parole...you will be denied reentry, as you are currently inadmissible for a period of ten years.

I'm not sure of the exact immigration situation as it pertains to Puerto Rico, but it just doesn't seem to be worth the risk. Puerto Rico is a territory of the United States, but it is NOT the United States.

Comment

Oh gosh, illegal for some years? expired I-94 on tourist visa?

My bad, i didnt pay attention to the details. Sure wouldnt be a good idea to leave the USA even IF you get an advance parole.

Wait for I-485 to be approved.

Comment

even though if u get advance parole u will be banned for 10 years. It is adviced for people who have done overstay not to apply for advance parole and stay in the country till u get ur actual greencard.

Comment

OLA! you will have to wait to aos is approved after interviwed ect. trip to puerto rico is consid. as a trip to outside territory of u s a . even that puerto rico is in common law part of us territory . you as forain nationnal will have to go to us custom and border prot. and thay you get a problem . just hold up with this plan

Comment

Advance parole is not required to visit Puerto Rico.

As per the Immigration and Nationality Act.

(38) The term "United States", except as otherwise specifically herein
                  provided, when used in a geographical sense, means the continental
                  United States, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Virgin
                  Islands of the United States.

Comment

Oh wow, thats something new!!! I didnt know that.

Comment

New? March 2, 1917, Jones Act.
                      The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

I know that it is a territory of the USA. But I always thought of those countries as foreign.

No need of advance parole? So thats new.

Comment

The US government legally classifies regions acquired through seizure and cession, which are not states and are not assigned to the native peoples of the Americas, as possessions or territories. All the former territories in the contiguous US are now states, but the federal government retains authority over the remaining territories, despite the fact that a large degree of self-rule has been extended to them by Congress.

The Jones Act, signed into law by President Woodrow Wilson in 1917, conferred United States citizenship to Puerto Ricans, and created the present system of government.
                          The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

"Puerto Rico " is in US, you just need to proof yr driving licsen, that's all !
                            Iris cali

Comment

Working...
                            X