Time in district/state before citizenship interview

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time in district/state before citizenship interview

After getting my green card and finishing my period of "Continuous Residence", I relocated to an international office of my company.

I am now eligible to apply for citizenship, my lawyer tells me that I need to be a resident of my state for 6 months before the interview.

However, the "Guide to Naturalization" says that I should only be a resident for 3 months.

I'm confused. Does anybody on this forum have any advice or experience to share?

After getting my green card and finishing my period of "Continuous Residence", I relocated to an international office of my company.

I am now eligible to apply for citizenship, my lawyer tells me that I need to be a resident of my state for 6 months before the interview.

However, the "Guide to Naturalization" says that I should only be a resident for 3 months.

I'm confused. Does anybody on this forum have any advice or experience to share?

Comment

Yes you are correct that you should be a resident of that State for three months, "NOT SIX"

Show him the copy of Guide to Naturalization or u can check on uscis web

Comment

Thanks Adam.

My lawyers comment is that you need to be a resident for 6 months before the interview.
        I don't see that anywhere in the guide.

Have you been through an interview? Was this question ever brought up or on the form?

Comment

Can't imagine what the attorney is thinking as the elgibility is 3 months. If you were to apply when eligible (after residing in the state or district for 3 months) chances are the interview would'nt occur until you'd been resident for 6 months, anyway. The fastest N400 interview timeline I've seen is 3-4 months after receipt.
          The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

The law is 3 months. But, I am confused as to how you could live in a state for 3 or 6 months if you have relocated to an "international office".

Under INA 319, the residence requirement is moot. Do you qualify?

Comment

Good point! There's always a possibility that OutofTime's "company" is located overseas and the "international office" is in the United States, but somehow I doubt it. I agree with the above post. OutofTime, are you also OutofPlace?
              The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

Working...
              X