From F1 to Marriage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From F1 to Marriage

In November 2003, I got F1 visa for one year. In April 2004, before my F1 expired, I got married for US citizen. However I didn't do anything to inform INS about my marriage and I have no clue what to do now.

Am I legal, because my F1 expired or what?

If I am illegal what should I do to obtain my status back?

Any suggestion would be helpful!

Thank you in advance!!!

NENE

In November 2003, I got F1 visa for one year. In April 2004, before my F1 expired, I got married for US citizen. However I didn't do anything to inform INS about my marriage and I have no clue what to do now.

Am I legal, because my F1 expired or what?

If I am illegal what should I do to obtain my status back?

Any suggestion would be helpful!

Thank you in advance!!!

NENE

Comment

File your I-485, I-130, etc and adjust status. An overstay is forgiven when marrying a USC. Here's what you need.

1. I-130
      2. G-325a
      2. I-864
      2. I-485
      2. I-765 (optional)
      2. I-131 (optional)

Comment

you should go ahead and file your paperwork with the CIS to adjust your status to permanent resident as soon as possible, if you are planning on living here.
        file the forms I-485 (adjustment of status), I-130 (petition for alien relative), G-325a (biographic information), I-864 (affidavit of support, I-693 (medical examination, needs to be done by a civil surgeon, find out rules for your service center). also file I-765 (employment authorization)
        you can find the forms and instructions under the following link:
        http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/index.htm
        only file I-131 (advance parole) if you have been out of status for less than 180 days! DO NOT leave the country if you have accrued more than 180 days of unlawful presence!!
        I just recently got married to and usc myself and entered the country in 2003 on an F-1 visa. we just sent off our paperwork to the USCIS (INS) and this forum helped a lot in the preparation. also check out http://www.immigrate2us.net
        feel free to post more questions or pm me.
        good luck

Silviamka

Comment

Working...
        X