What's your take on this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your take on this?

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Immigration enforcement officers do not plan to enter a church where a single mother sought sanctuary rather than submit to deportation to Mexico, a government official said Friday.

But Elvira Arellano, 31, and her supporters say only a stay of deportation will ensure that she and her 7-year-old son, an American citizen, are not forcibly removed from the Adalberto United Methodist Church.

"The situation doesn't change," Arellano said in Spanish.

Arellano has been living in the church since Tuesday, when she was supposed to surrender to authorities for deportation.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials had said they would apprehend Arellano at a time and place "of their choosing" and that nothing prevented them from going into the church.

But on Friday, a government official close to the case said immigration agents have decided against entering the church to remove Arellano.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because it is against ICE policy to discuss operational matters, said the Arellano case carries "no more priority than any of the other 500,000 fugitives nationally."

Arellano will be apprehended "at an appropriate time and place," the official said.

Arellano said she was unconvinced that immigration officials would not try to apprehend her at the church, where supporters kept a watchful eye on the flow of traffic at the front door.

"Until I have something in writing that says they are giving me an extension so that I can stay in the country with my son, for me there is no security," she said.

Arellano was deported shortly after illegally crossing into the United States in 1997. She returned within days. She was arrested in 2002 and convicted of working under a false Social Security number.

She has since become a vocal proponent for immigration reform and is president of United Latino Family, a group that lobbies for families that could be split by deportation.

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Immigration enforcement officers do not plan to enter a church where a single mother sought sanctuary rather than submit to deportation to Mexico, a government official said Friday.

But Elvira Arellano, 31, and her supporters say only a stay of deportation will ensure that she and her 7-year-old son, an American citizen, are not forcibly removed from the Adalberto United Methodist Church.

"The situation doesn't change," Arellano said in Spanish.

Arellano has been living in the church since Tuesday, when she was supposed to surrender to authorities for deportation.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials had said they would apprehend Arellano at a time and place "of their choosing" and that nothing prevented them from going into the church.

But on Friday, a government official close to the case said immigration agents have decided against entering the church to remove Arellano.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because it is against ICE policy to discuss operational matters, said the Arellano case carries "no more priority than any of the other 500,000 fugitives nationally."

Arellano will be apprehended "at an appropriate time and place," the official said.

Arellano said she was unconvinced that immigration officials would not try to apprehend her at the church, where supporters kept a watchful eye on the flow of traffic at the front door.

"Until I have something in writing that says they are giving me an extension so that I can stay in the country with my son, for me there is no security," she said.

Arellano was deported shortly after illegally crossing into the United States in 1997. She returned within days. She was arrested in 2002 and convicted of working under a false Social Security number.

She has since become a vocal proponent for immigration reform and is president of United Latino Family, a group that lobbies for families that could be split by deportation.

Comment

I don't know specifics of the case.
      It's nesessary to know all details before forming an opinion on each individual case.

But, on larger scale, I say it's GOOD if Arellano gets apprehended and deported along with her USC son to Mexico.

More, MANY MORE DEPORTATIONS LIKE THESE are overdue !

The Public Opinion, so fiercely turned AGAINST ALL ILLEGALS REGARDLESS OF INDIVIDUAL CIRCUMSTANCES (thanks to John Tanton and his web of fascist non-prof orgs like FAIR - see www.fairus.org) must be reversed.

The ONLY and SHORTEST way to reverse Public opinion is to show the public a lot of unjustified hardship suffered by the most vulnerable due to imperfections of law that only Congress can change.

If ICE sinserely wants to help the cause of illegals and help them get legalized sonner than later, then ICE should carry MORE of the operations targeting the most vulnerable and posing no threat Illegal Aliens.

[COLOR:BLUE][B]When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault.

One day it will have to be officially admitted that

Comment

But what about the USC son? How stupid can you be for even suggesting that the US citizen also be deported?

Comment

I don't suggest it, you d.umba-s-s !

I state simple fact - how public opinion is formed and how it can be changed.

[COLOR:BLUE][B]When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault.

Comment

You don't have an opinion. Your opinion s u c k s. You clearly mentioned that she should be deported with her USC son; and now you're denying what you said.

Comment

What I am saying, d.umba-s-s, is that:

1. In order to solve the problem of many illegal immigrants/parents of USC who lived here for many years and pose no threat, it's nesessary to at least restore some of the provisions of INA that pre-existed before 1996.

2. As of now it's impossible to restore even some of pre-1996 provisions of INA (not speaking of enacting "Guest Worker" program).

3. The reason it's impossible to reach consensus and pass reasonable immigration reform law is the existing public opinion which is divided and some segments of which has been influenced to great extent by fascist orgs like FAIR of John Tanton ( see www.fairus.org) who fiercely opposes any reasonable immigration reform bill.

4. The ONLY SHORTEST way to reverse such public opinion (which is clearly not in favor of immigrants) is to show the public a lot of unjustified hardship suffered by the most vulnerable due to imperfections of law that only Congress can change.

5. THEREFORE, If ICE sinserely wants to help the cause of illegals and help them get legalized sonner than later, then ICE should carry MORE of the operations targeting the most vulnerable and posing no threat Illegal Aliens.

IE

Comment

ICE? Yes, put some ice on your impotent d i c k.

Comment

IE, put some ice on your impotent d i c k.
                  You eat my ****.

Comment

we should not reward illegal cows just because they produce a child....all we would wind up with is an ocean of unwed mothers on welfare ****ing up benefits on behalf of their brats.
                    Send this illegal home. Somebody else can take care of the kid.
                    We cannot pander nor reward these scumbags.

Comment

Looserhead ****stermind E is back; get back to ****y treatment

MEPPs playing games with each others; ****y ****ster needs ****ills

Comment

KKK is composed of Somone12, Impenetrable, and E-Killer. Another alias *****...don't know where to place this AH. We can place him in his mother's A S S. But, we never heard of KKKK. Or these 4Ks are actually one?

Comment

once again macyuhoo (which means 'little d i c k" in Navajo) believes that illegal aliens are a racist, which actually makes this nitwit a racist! Good going, $hit-for-brains, you effed yourself!

Comment

Looserhead ****stermind E is back under macyuhoo and Someone12 ID; get back to ****y treatment

MEPPs playing games with each others; ****y ****ster needs ****ills

Comment

Try the back door dude. That's what Impenetrable has been doing that's why he's unsuccessful.

Comment

Working...
                              X