X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To SunDevilUSA: Yes,

Originally posted by SunDevilUSA:
    Iperson: With all due respect, I have not said anything bad about any country (least of all Poland or the Czech Republic)...... I do take exception when I read immigrants expressing negative thoughts about America...while trying to convince us that their countries of origin are paradise on earth.
    To SunDevilUSA: Thank you very much for your post!
    There is only one thing - you probably did not understand the whole meaning while you were reading the posts Iperson and I wrote here – we do not try to convince you our home countries are paradise on Earth; not at all. We just tried to say there was much injustice in the past which caused our home countries are still in a big mess (from fully developed countries we ended up in economical chaos – and because we had no other choice, everything was conducted by the USSR, we could not do anything about it for a long time). And ultimately the USA either did not prevent this happening or they just let us fall under Soviet rule (it was mainly GB influence; but still). Well, it does not matter what happened in the past now anyways – we cannot change it. So, please, try to understand this inconsistency, this chaos we have to face. On one side we want to be loyal to our new country we love, on the other hand we cannot forget what happened to our home countries in the past because of all the injustice. So for instance if you start to praise German cars and put them like they are better than Czech ones (or that Czech Skodas are actually German cars) - this is to me like revealing a red flag in front of a bull. Sorry, it seemed to me like you neglected everything what Skoda factory achieved before the W.W.II. started. Because in Czech (and I do believe in Polish people too) there is still so much sadness - like how come that somebody who started the W.W.II. now has a better life and us, victims of the war, whose destinies were in somebody else's hands for many years after the war ended, why do we have still to pay the high price while the Germans, the aggressors, are doing fine? I do not want to be unjust towards German people, many of them were victims too but this is not my point now.

This just reminds me one professor, a very nice and educated guy who was teaching us Economical Geography at the University. It was around 1991 and he entered the class ... all of the sudden he pulled out the German money from 20's and said: "see, this is one million of Deutsch marks. Back then it was just enough to buy bread in Germany – and Czech economy was flourishing. But now – where are they and where are we?" And he started to cry, the lesson was over. Later on I found out his family was persecuted by Germans and later by Bolsheviks too (they stole all his family property, his father died in jail, ...) and I felt that his desperate cry had a good reason – somebody loyal, hard working etc. who never had a chance to succeed in life. He was from a family where his father was a university professor too so, in other words, he was not considered ˜suitable' by communist regime because he was not a member of a labor working force. Only after 1989, when he was 75, he was finally granted the privilege to teach at the university (before he was working in the boiler-room for years). So this guy was self-educating himself for more than 40 years and finally he was given some recognition at the dusk of his life. He was quite ˜lucky'; many people did not survive long enough to get some at all.

Personally I had never an intention to come over here; all I wanted was to have a nice family, good husband and kids. But because I was not lucky on guys in Czech Republic (it seems to me they got a bit ˜russianized' – many Czech guys nowadays think that the woman must make money, take care of the whole household, kids etc. and only men are entitled to have all the fun by themselves with no responsibility (another ˜nice heritage' from Russians), I finally found my big love in the USA; he is a great husband and father, really. And this man is worth of all the sacrifices I had to make – and some of them were not easy to make, believe me. I had to sell a family house my grand-grand parents built, I had to give up a decent job, I lost many friends (they to not understand my problems now and I do not understand theirs anymore). But I wanted kids and a good family and I praise this above all I had to sacrifice.

Yes, I have chosen the USA as my new country. Despite the fact it was not easy to get used to the life over here, I think I tried hard. I love the USA a lot (despite I miss my historical architecture), I know many great people over here and now I consider this country to be my new home and I am more than willing to support the USA an many ways. Even I was given a credit many times from my neighbors etc. – I think they like me and I like them; we get along more than well. All my intentions are just pure – I do not think I badmouth the USA; I just point out like ˜yes, this is good but lets' make it better'. Lets learn from the past and NEVER make mistakes we did again. I want to give all my best to my new country – in my eyes it is necessary to say that something we should do better; but please, take this as a suggestion, not a badmouthing from me, OK? PLEASE!
    さん,がんばれ!

Comment

• Honey: Thank you for your post. You are obviously a very thoughtful and intelligent person, and a genuine benefit to the United States.

I think that most countries have a turbulent history, but I am well aware that the Czech Republic, and other countries in eastern Europe, have only recently escaped from tyranny. As a teenager, I had a "Solidarity" T-shirt that I wore often...which was possible to do in western Europe!! I also was a great admirer of President Reagan and Prime Minister Thatcher, both of whom I credit with helping to end the Soviet domination of eastern Europe.

I have never visited eastern Europe, as I have been living in America since shortly after the region's liberation...although I would love to travel to Prague, Warsaw and Budapest. When the eastern European countries joined NATO, I thought that was just amazing...and I fully supported their entry into the European Union a little while later.

I am aware of the Czech Republic's history of engineering prowess, and know that many companies are investing in the country. It is obvious that the Czech Republic, and the other eastern European countries, have progressed at a very fast rate since 1989. Those of us who have always had the good fortune to live in the "west" are delighted that eastern Europe is now free...and we welcomed you with open arms to join our security and economic infrastructures.

I am so pleased that you are happy living in America, and I respect that you acknowledge that this is a great country. On this issue, despite the initial appearance that we disagreed - which I always expected was more imagined than real - it turns out that we do actually think alike. And, yes, constructive criticism is good...because that's how we make things even better.

Comment

• Thank you SunDevilUSA,
        Thank you VERY MUCH!

It seems like we found a mutual platform and agreement and what we initially thought about each other was transformed into something much more positive; that is great.
        I am very glad we got there, indeed.

Just one small remark; countries (especially Poland and CR) are very sensitive when the West puts us to the Easter Europe (mainly because it puts us in the same bag with Russians). Ultimately Prague is almost in the geographical center of Europe. It is the same like you would say that Austria is in the Eastern Europe too (and it is, actually starts even more to the East than CR).
        But this is just a suggestion.

Take care!
        さん,がんばれ!

Comment

• Honey: Thank you for your post.

Until you explained it to me, I was unaware of the ongoing sensitivity with regard to describing Poland, the Czech Republic and others as being in eastern Europe. It is a term that has long been used in "western" Europe to refer collectively to the formerly Soviet-dominated countries to the east.

Although somewhat inaccurate, it is still used as an easy to understand way to refer to those countries collectively. You should be aware that, today, the use of the term eastern Europe is generally understood to refer solely to those countries unwillingly dominated by the Soviet Union...but NOT Russia. The term does, however, include the former Soviet Republics of Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia - that are actually further west than large chunks of western Europe.

Please understand that no offense is meant by the use of the term eastern Europe. When the eastern European countries won their freedom, we celebrated with you. The majority of those countries have been warmly welcomed into the security and economic infrastructures of the United States and its allies.

When I was a child, Czechoslovakia was behind the "Iron Curtain," and basically off-limits. Its people were not allowed to travel freely and were oppressed. Now, we are allies and partners...you and I now share European Union passports (until I trade mine for an American passport in the near future)...you could chose to live in my country of origin, and I in yours (thankfully, though, we are both lucky enough to live in America).

It is quite wonderful. One day, perhaps, the Russians themselves will be so lucky.

Comment

• Again, thank you very much for explaining this to me; see Czech Republic (I cannot talk for Poland) was traditionally somewhat west-oriented until the W.W.II.
            After we discovered what damage was caused by former Moscow ruled government (our own government always had to do what Moscow wanted) and because we knew that all was just a big fraud to us, it is only logical we are rejecting to have anything in common with them.
            But if the Eastern Europe countries has a different meaning and does not just mean Russia and its satellites, it is OK. I promise I will be less ˜touchy' next time.
            But as for Russians, I do not know. I wish them the best too but again on the other hand we do not want another Stalin, do we?
            Take care!
            さん,がんばれ!

Comment

• Honey: I completely understand eastern Europe's animosity toward Russia, and am very well aware of it. Now that the Eastern European countries are in both NATO and the European Union, they are effectively out of Russia's potential control. With their security situation assured, they are able to concentrate on their economic and political development as members of the European Union.

I realize that Russia still attempts to assert some level of control through the supply of energy resources (as in Lithuania recently), but its ability to do so is much diminished now that they are basically dealing with the collective European Union. The attempts at control are much more troublesome, albeit not entirely successful either, with countries outside of the European Union, such as Georgia and Ukraine (what Russia refers to as its "near abroad").

I agree with you that we definitely do not want another Stalin...or maybe even another Putin (not to suggest that Putin is evil like Stalin was, but he sure is intent on throwing Russia's weight around and supplying nuclear technology to Iran). Personally, I think that Russia will always be outside of Europe's institutions, and be troublesome for both Europe and America.

My own view on Russia is that they would be better served worrying about the dire situation in their own country, and leave other countries alone.

I believe that the countries of eastern Europe will not have to worry too much about Russia in the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by SunDevilUSA:
                Honey: I completely understand eastern Europe's animosity toward Russia, and am very well aware of it. Now that the Eastern European countries are in both NATO and the European Union, they are effectively out of Russia's potential control. With their security situation assured, they are able to concentrate on their economic and political development as members of the European Union.

I realize that Russia still attempts to assert some level of control through the supply of energy resources (as in Lithuania recently), but its ability to do so is much diminished now that they are basically dealing with the collective European Union. The attempts at control are much more troublesome, albeit not entirely successful either, with countries outside of the European Union, such as Georgia and Ukraine (what Russia refers to as its "near abroad").

I agree with you that we definitely do not want another Stalin...or maybe even another Putin (not to suggest that Putin is evil like Stalin was, but he sure is intent on throwing Russia's weight around and supplying nuclear technology to Iran). Personally, I think that Russia will always be outside of Europe's institutions, and be troublesome for both Europe and America.

My own view on Russia is that they would be better served worrying about the dire situation in their own country, and leave other countries alone.

I believe that the countries of eastern Europe will not have to worry too much about Russia in the future.
                and.......
                what you do for living ?
                roco

Comment

• All this discussion just ends in a vast, meaningless ... some smart ideas from you?
                  さん,がんばれ!

Comment

• I thought this was suppose to be a place for questions and help? I can not believe how rude most of you are and the awful things you say.

Comment

• what a hypocrite IPerson is...if she really believed that all countries are great and/or equal, than why hasn't she returned to Poland and taken up her life there??????????? Why????
                      Because there is a HUGE difference between lifestyles, which she fails to acknowledge.How many Americans are flocking to Poland to take up a new life versus Polish citizens who are scamming visas and overstaying, etc, to remain in the US of A???? How many??? come on....get with the program and answer the question....
                      What proportion of American citizens overstay or lie to get a Polish visa versus Polish citizens who lie or commit fraud to get an American visa? Do you really believe that the ratios are the same? Sure.....prove it....and it true, then why isn't POland able to use the VWP???? oops....

Comment

• Europeans invaded this country when it belonged to DIFFERENT people 400 years ago.

The only differenece is that todays so-called illegals just want to live side by side with us - they are not trying to exterminate us or push us out.

Someone12 and EVERYONE like you - you're just bitter and pathetic.

Comment

• Timmy_d11: Actually, Someone12 is absolutely correct regarding the visa situation, even if you're too stupid to acknowledge it. In fact, it's not just America that limits travel and/or immigration privileges in this manner. After Poland joined the European Union in 2004, the majority of EU countries, with the exception of Britain, Ireland and Sweden, maintained their existing restrictions on Polish (and other new-member) citizens with regard to immigration.

You, yourself, sound like an illegal alien...and one who has a limited grasp of the historical context. For your information, Europeans did NOT invade "this country." This country, as you term it, did NOT exist 400 years ago.

Americans created this country, and established the best country in the world.

You assert that Someone12 is "bitter and pathetic," so you must be quite ashamed to have been unable to compete with him intellectually. It is my opinion that you're the one who is bitter and pathetic.

Comment

• Originally posted by SunDevilUSA:For your information, Europeans did NOT invade "this country." This country, as you term it, did NOT exist 400 years ago. Americans created this country, and established the best country in the world
                            THAT statement alone proves that, like someone12, the best part of you ran down your mother's legs at conception.

Just because native Americans did not have a "formal" country in the way European nations established their countries it did not make them ANY LESS owners and occupiers of the North American continent. Our "greatest country on earth" was established by taking it by brute force - THAT is a fact. So much so that I won't even bother arguing further with your idiocy if you try to deny that.

Comment

• I will assume by your abandonment of this thread for the last few hours that you have conceded my point, as you should, if you have any cells in that skull of yours.

Comment

• Timmy_d11: I understand from another thread that your long-suffering wife is from Colombia. I'd be interested to know whether you hold Colombia in as much contempt as you evidently hold America...given that your wife's ancestors "stole" her country by "taking it by brute force."

I bet that your morally-superior liberal attitude will somehow give Colombia a free pass...after all, in your little world, it's America that's the bad country. A country, I bet, that your wife is happy to be living in after the "paradise" of Colombia.

Quite honestly, you're a disgrace.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed