Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SunDevilUSA:
    Honey: You're way too funny. I remember when the Czechs ran Skoda...and to say the least, the cars were a complete and total joke.

You can try to make all of the excuses that you want for the fact that Skoda cars were total garbage...but, the fact remains that Volkswagen rescued Skoda and Skodas are nothing more than rebadged Volkswagens.

Perhaps you and your Dutch husband should move back to that paradise on earth otherwise known as the Czech Republic, as you obviously have no respect for America. I doubt, however, that you truly have the power of your convictions.

It never ceases to amaze me that people badmouth America and assert that they're only here because of their spouse. Well, why is it that the "spouse" NEVER immigrates to the bellyaching immigrant's country of origin?
    No further comment - when somebody cannot read, he just cannot. This is not my fault .
    さん,がんばれ!

Comment

• SunDevilUSA: Your statements are most ridiculous. When the Wall came down and communism collapsed is this part of the world every state owned business (small or large) was sold to, bought by, or invested into in one form or another by private corporations, or received substantial monetary support from the rest of the world.

It is only logic that one auto manufacturer would buy into another auto manufacturer. Skoda manufactures under its own label, not Volkswagen's. Volvo and Mazda is owned by Ford, Chrysler is owned by Daimler AG and they still manufacture under their own labels.

Siemens AG for example, bought everything that had to do with electronics in that region, I believe the French Government has a hand in everything energy - and that just of the top of my head.

Get real!
      “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

Comment

• Oh and just one small remark about German cars (I should say ˜East Germany'). There was never a better car than Trabant . Small, ˜nice', never rusted and when you were done with it, you just packed it up – or you glued it back again .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:1....P601L.arp.jpg
        さん,がんばれ!

Comment

• Kollerkrot: I am very well aware that ownership in the auto industry, as in many others, is complicated. However, this does not make my comments regarding Skoda any less relevant.

You are correct that Skoda markets its cars under its own brand, however, Skoda cars use Volkswagen platforms, engines, gearboxes, etc...in other words, everything important. A Skoda Fabia is a rebadged Volkswagen Polo; a Skoda Octavia is a rebadged Volkswagen Golf/Jetta.

I am not suggesting that this is necessarily a bad thing, and neither am I saying that today's Skodas are bad cars. Indeed, today's Skodas are likely better than Volkswagens. My point is simply to remind Honey that Czech industry is not the marvelous and wonderful creation that she suggests on her way to badmouthing America.

Of course, the point is NOT lost that, while trying to convince us that she is doing us all a favor by living in America at great personal cost...she did, in fact, leave the Czech Republic, and makes the choice not to live there.

This is the same Czech Republic that recently formed some kind of government after months without any functioning one. This is the same Czech Republic that exported hundreds of thousands of its citizens the very second that the country joined the European Union.

I am not deliberately badmouthing the Czech Republic, but just trying to remind Honey that badmouthing America by an immigrant, especially one from a country with many, many problems, is not appreciated. Honey, please take of your rose-colored glasses.

Comment

• Wow. SunDevilUSA!!! I was so jealous about Iperson having a secret admirer in Someone12! But it looks like I have one too now! And not only just ˜someone' but right away the ˜devil'. Coooooooool !!! I am so delighted!

I was thinking not to reply to your posting at all but the whole thing is so confusing ... I just have to correct you, sorry. Please, be less in love and think more , OK?

Originally posted by SunDevilUSA:
            Kollerkrot: I am very well aware that ownership in the auto industry, as in many others, is complicated. However, this does not make my comments regarding Skoda any less relevant.

You are correct that Skoda markets its cars under its own brand, however, Skoda cars use Volkswagen platforms, engines, gearboxes, etc...in other words, everything important. A Skoda Fabia is a rebadged Volkswagen Polo; a Skoda Octavia is a rebadged Volkswagen Golf/Jetta.

I am not suggesting that this is necessarily a bad thing, and neither am I saying that today's Skodas are bad cars. Indeed, today's Skodas are likely better than Volkswagens. My point is simply to remind Honey that Czech industry is not the marvelous and wonderful creation that she suggests on her way to badmouthing America. .
            I cannot believe you did not read my previous postings. I NEVER denied my home country is all screwed up and I do admit it has many problems. But my point is that before the W.W.II. all was way different – we use to have a powerful economy (including making great Skoda cars). And thanks to foreign policy of countries like Germany, Russia, France, GB and the USA we were handed on a silver plate to Russians who finished the disaster. So all that is left to us that we have to be proud of at least something; and just by the way – do you think that Skoda/Volkswagen group in CR does not have Czech engineers, management etc.?

Of course, the point is NOT lost that, while trying to convince us that she is doing us all a favor by living in America at great personal cost...she did, in fact, leave the Czech Republic, and makes the choice not to live there. .
            BS, I miss my home country – but I love my husband more.

This is the same Czech Republic that recently formed some kind of government after months without any functioning one. This is the same Czech Republic that exported hundreds of thousands of its citizens the very second that the country joined the European Union.

I am not deliberately badmouthing the Czech Republic, but just trying to remind Honey that badmouthing America by an immigrant, especially one from a country with many, many problems, is not appreciated. Honey, please take of your rose-colored glasses.
            Aha! There ya go! Finally a good point! Good job! Well, you are right about the government but this might happen everywhere when one party gets 100 votes and the other party 100 too (similar would be 100 for Republicans and 100 for Democrats).
            On the contrary to your posting about CR exporting hundreds of thousands of its citizens, in 2004 when my country joined EU, there was a big surprise that only few people emigrated ... ; yes, Czech people were emigrating during communist regime because of political reasons and some also emigrated in the beginning of 90'. Not after we joined EU ... keep looking here.
            And who is badmouthing America? You should not be so touchy – you are trying to badmouth my CR so I just reply back.

But at least you spend your time wisely by learning something about other countries today! This is a very creditable act !
            さん,がんばれ!

Comment

• so why aren't Skodas selling like hotcakes in America? Because one cannot import manure without a license....who would want one of these. Doesn't 'Skoda' mean "piece of krap" in Czech?

Comment

• Originally posted by Someone12:
                so why aren't Skodas selling like hotcakes in America? Because one cannot import manure without a license....who would want one of these. Doesn't 'Skoda' mean "piece of krap" in Czech?
                No darling -- Someone12 means piece of s.h.i.t in the Universal Language!!!
                “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

Comment

• Originally posted by Honey:
                  Sorry about that American Football – I realize I was not quite exact – American Football is basically a one of the games descended from Rugby School rules (in my language you say Ragby – just to be precise here). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_football#The_status_...in_various_countries
                  I do apologize .
                  No apology necessary.
                  "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

• Originally posted by Someone12:
                    so why aren't Skodas selling like hotcakes in America? Because one cannot import manure without a license....who would want one of these. Doesn't 'Skoda' mean "piece of krap" in Czech?
                    Emil Ritter von Å koda (1839-1900) was a famous Czech engineer and industrialist. He was a founder of Skoda Works; this company produced much more than cars though. And yes, a word Skoda has many meanings, but for sure it does not mean ˜piece of krap' (= svinstvo).

Well, but your American Coalvettes are not any hotcake in Czech Republic either. Who would buy such a ˜coal' inefficient vehicle ever there? We have just a few coal mines so .... not enough fuel. We are apparently more practical over there.
                    And we probably do not sell Skodas to America because you do not have Autobahn just next door (as we do) so you do not have the right roads to test them.

I just wonder about another thing – why many Americans are coming to Czech Republic and after they come back they cannot drink your American ˜so-called beer' anymore? I heard many Americans saying that US beer is a not-drinkable substance compared to Czech beer (try for instance Gambrinus, buddy)!.But, unfortunately, our beer is so good that SabMiller <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> http://www.sabmiller.com/sabmiller.com/en_gb/Our+brands...ds+A-Z/Gambrinus.htm </pre> does not let to sell it outside CR .
                    さん,がんばれ!

Comment

• Originally posted by cocorocotum:
                      <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Honey:
                      <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SunDevilUSA:
                      Honey: So, your husband's family has been in America for five generations...and he thinks that he is more Dutch than American? Quite honestly, I have seldom heard something so stupid.

When was the last time that your husband was in the Netherlands? I'd venture that he's never actually been there.

More Dutch than American, that's funny (ROFL).
                      No, he is just proud of his ancestors, there is nothing bad about it. You should always have some respect towards them - oh, maybe you were not brought up that way ; sorry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>hes ancestors ?
                      the criminals that kill the native Americans !
                      look at hes genetics, hes luck of education and low IQ
                      ....and criminal behavior
                      now this idiot feel like he own this land </div></BLOCKQUOTE>.
                      roco

Comment

• Very nice, and informative note.

Thank you!

Comment

• Originally posted by iperson:
                          Here's iperson to the rescue Honey!
                          Sorry, have been busy running my beezwax..

Anyway, looks like we both have secret admirers.. LMAO! I am jealous, you've got the devil himself and I got just someone. Not fair...

For one thing SunDevil, we're not setting out to badmouth America, just people like Someone who give a bad name to your country and someone like you Devil, who give bad name to immigrants.
                          Do you think SunDevil, that by forgetting where you came from and being ashamed of your own country (which you don't even mention) is what will endear you to Americans? Make no mistake. They laugh at you and your low self esteem.
                          I went through this phase initially too,I admit. Everything that was Polish was Yuck and everything here was Great.
                          But it changed soon and now I appreciate my roots and where I come from thousand times more than when I lived in Poland. I appreciate the excellent education I received in my country, I appreciate my world class teachers, I appreciate my parents and what they have done for me, I appreciate my country's history, culture, and the all the people who contributed to Poland, Pilsudski, Lech Walesa, and most of John Paul II. I am so proud I am Polish although many foreigners have very uneducated and ignorant opinion about my country.
                          In addition, my immigration experience enriches me as a human being. The two cultures, Polish and American combined, knowledge of history, fine art (my BFA from an American university), pop culture, music (love j***), etc etc. make me a person who sees life in both countries from a perspective.
                          My conclusion is there are no better and no lesser nations. All nations on earth contribute different aspects to our human experience.

So for Someone12 say that Poland doesnt have great car manufacturers or space shuttle programs, it does not matter.
                          We are not in competition with each other, but should be working together and enrich our knowledge and contribute to the human kind, not serve only our own country's interests and antagonize others.

The war in Iraq is wrong because it not only had no grounds, but also antagonized the world, instead of making peace. It was not a contribution but destruction.

If you want to introduce democracy into other parts of the world and fight terrorism, do it using peaceful means (economy, culture) and covert actions (intelligence, technology).

And most of all, be respectful towards other people, especially other nationalities. Your demeanor, as well as Someone12's causes that we react defensively. You are the ones who create conflict, not us.
                          We have a lot of good things we like about this country, but you are not asking us if we like it here and what we don't like here.
                          You just don't want us here.
                          Iperson, thank you !!!!!

What you put down here is a masterpiece and I must admit you expressed exactly what I had in mind too. You wrote what I had in my heart, beautiful!

THANK YOU ... denkujem bardzo (is that correct?)
                          さん,がんばれ!

Comment

• Originally posted by Honey:
                            I just wonder about another thing – why many Americans are coming to Czech Republic and after they come back they cannot drink your American ˜so-called beer' anymore? I heard many Americans saying that US beer is a not-drinkable substance compared to Czech beer (try for instance Gambrinus, buddy)!.But, unfortunately, our beer is so good that SabMiller <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> http://www.sabmiller.com/sabmiller.com/en_gb/Our+brands...ds+A-Z/Gambrinus.htm </pre> does not let to sell it outside CR .
                            If are going to drink alcohol, you only should drink the good stuff, not grog (Old English Term). For me, Don Perignon, Napoleon Brande, or sake.
                            "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

• Iperson: With all due respect, I have not said anything bad about any country (least of all Poland or the Czech Republic)...well, except for Mexico, perhaps, which is a country for which - well, you really don't need to know my thoughts on Mexico.

In fact, if memory serves, I have paid Poland a very real compliment on this very thread.

I am not ashamed of my country of origin...but, neither am I going to wax lyrical about it. I live in America, and know that I would rather live here than live there. Therefore, I am happy for America to have my loyalty and my patriotism.

I do not expect immigrants to have bad opinions about their countries of origin, but I do expect that said immigrants acknowledge that they made the free choice to immigrate to America...and are not going "home" any time soon - and most likely never. I do take exception when I read immigrants expressing negative thoughts about America...while trying to convince us that their countries of origin are paradise on earth.

And remember, Poland surely looks better from a distance. Just ask all of the hundreds of thousands of Poles who hightailed it to Britain and Ireland on the stroke of midnight on January 1, 2004.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hudson:
                                <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Honey:
                                If are going to drink alcohol, you only should drink the good stuff, not grog (Old English Term). For me, Don Perignon, Napoleon Brande, or sake. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                                Well, I cannot drink much - just once in a while with food (maybe a glass of good beaujolais or so). But é…’ is good too.
                                さん,がんばれ!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed