Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I re-file I-130 since my spouse is a citizen now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I re-file I-130 since my spouse is a citizen now?

We got married in 2003. Husband was a green card resident. I had H1B. He filed I-130 for me in 2004. My H1B run out 03/25/07 and that same day my I-130 approval is dated. Since then I AOS. He became a citizen on 03/18/10. Getting ready to fill I-485 out. Should I do another I-130? How long an approval is good for? And are they any different since he was GC and now US citizen? Already spent $7000 to get husbands citizenship(he had some criminal issues) - out of money. Please help.

We got married in 2003. Husband was a green card resident. I had H1B. He filed I-130 for me in 2004. My H1B run out 03/25/07 and that same day my I-130 approval is dated. Since then I AOS. He became a citizen on 03/18/10. Getting ready to fill I-485 out. Should I do another I-130? How long an approval is good for? And are they any different since he was GC and now US citizen? Already spent $7000 to get husbands citizenship(he had some criminal issues) - out of money. Please help.

Comment

sandrule,

- short answer would be that you should inform NVC about your husband's citizenship and "upgrade" the petition to "spouse of USC"

but it would be smart to get a better understanding of your situation first:

- have you already filed I-485 based on approved I-130? You wrote "since then I AOS". If yes, when and when did your priority date become current?

Comment

He couldn't have filed an I-485 until he became a USC but aneri is correct, upgrade the I-130 as he is now a USC and get him to file the I-485 too.
        "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Comment

I have never filed 485 before. So, you guys both think I ned to file a new/upgraded I-130, right?

Comment

Just do what aneri said and upgrade your petition. A friend of mine had the same issue. He was a PR and filed I-130 for his wife then once he became a USC upgraded the I-130 and filed for AoS (I-485).
            "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Comment

unless sandrule is from Mexico, PD from 2004 for F 2A became current sometime late 2008 or in the first half of 2009.
              At that point, sandrule could/should have filled I-485.

Anyhow... are you from Mexico?

I guess, unless you want to use the lawyer, the simple way to find out if your I-130 is "still alive" is to ask NVC to upgrade it.

When I filed a petition for my relative I was a legal permanent resident (green card holder). I recently became a U.S. citizen. How can I upgrade the petition?

Please make a copy of your Naturalization Certificate. Send the copy - NOT the original - to the NVC with a letter containing the beneficiary name and case number of the petition you want to upgrade.

Please see the NVC’s contact information.
              http://travel.state.gov/visa/i.../info/info_3177.html

Comment

What do you all mean by "upgrading". I ma from Lithuania.

Comment

And I couldn't file 485 before my husband became citizen, because my H1B run out 2 years ago. I could/should now. I couldn't leave the country when my H1B expired - was too pregnant. Gave US 3 new citizens over these 7 years. So, check out if my PD has become current and that should tell me if need to re-file I-130 or not?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sandrule:
                    And I couldn't file 485 before my husband became citizen, because my H1B run out 2 years ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand that… I was just wondering how long there has been “no action” on your I-130 petition since the PD became current. It may be relevant to determine if NVC “thinks” your I-130 has been abandoned.

But, as I say the easiest thing is to try to upgrade

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sandrule:
                    What do you all mean by "upgrading". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aneri:

When I filed a petition for my relative I was a legal permanent resident (green card holder). I recently became a U.S. citizen. How can I upgrade the petition?

Please make a copy of your Naturalization Certificate. Send the copy - NOT the original - to the NVC with a letter containing the beneficiary name and case number of the petition you want to upgrade.

Please see the NVC’s contact information.
                    http://travel.state.gov/visa/i.../info/info_3177.html </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Working...
                    X