SORRY STORY!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SORRY STORY!!

Can anyone help? I overstayed in 95 expecting to get AOS through my husband who had applied for his greencard(he was here since 81 as a kid,his family didnt help him).He got denied because of a late app.We were told we couldnt appeal.Anyway 10 years and 2 kids later here I am,my husband turned abusive and I am stuck!Cant go home(husband wont let me take the kids),cant get out of marriage without a job,is there anything I can do?

Elizabeth
    If you are been abused in your marriage my advice is to get out. There are a lot of support groups for abused women in this country. You can call them and they will assist you. They can also get your legal help through the Women legal Society or Catholic legal Services.
    Years of abuse sometimes culminate in death or serious physical harm. Get out while you can. Good Luck

Comment

Dear LegalNut, Thankyou for your advice,if only it were that simple!!I'm just needing to know if I did get the authorities involved would we all be eventually deported? Would I have any legal rights as my kids are citizens? My husband is good with the kids I couldn't move countries without him,he is their father.Could I force him out of this country if I left with the kids or would that be kidnapping? By the way we are from the same country.

Comment

There are no abused women in America, only abused men !

Comment

If you take the kids, not only will that be kidnapping, but just plain morally wrong.

ARQU

Comment

There is relief for battered spouses but the spouse must be married to a US citizen. You wont be able to get an immigration relief and if yourhusband was denied then he more than likley has a pending deportation order either on its way or arrived already.
            Sorry.

Comment

Elizabeth
              You state that you came here in 1995. You can apply for Cancellation of removal as long as you have US citizens children after 10 years of residence in the USA. All you have to show is that your removal/deportation from the USA will cause undue hardship on your kids. You dont need your husband to do that for you. 2005 will make it 10 years of residence in the USA for you.If the court agrees with you you can get a LPR from the INS . The only problem you have is that you can only apply for cancellation of removal when you are in removal proceedings. However, you can seek some legal counsel where you at.Check information for "International Institute "in your area. Any competent attorney can assist you.

Comment

Dear LegalNut,Thanks again for the info!..By 'removal proceedings'do you mean a deportation notice??

Comment

Elizabeth
                  Removal is when you come into the USA legally but overstayed your authorized stay. Then the INS can have you removed from the country by instituting a removal proceedings agaisnt you. Most people ask for voluntary departure during removal proceedings, so they can have a clean record.if you fail to leave, the INS will then deport you from the USA. During the removal proceedings, you are entitled to certain relief like
                  1. Adjustment of Status, ( I-485) ( 1-130)
                  2. Cancellation of removal
                  3. Convention against Torture Relief.
                  There are other reliefs depending on your circumstances

Comment

Just a comment...

The advice you are getting from LegalNut is very good but be careful about the sentence "All you have to show is that your removal/deportation from the USA will cause undue hardship on your kids".

A hardship waiver is very hard to get and will require competent legal assistance as you need to prove that the hardship you would endure would be more than other folks who are removed after living here for a long time. Financial hardship is not relevant at all - it is a case of proving that you would be worse off than another person in your similar circumstances.

It is obtainable but not a case of "All you need to do is...."

Just my opinion.

ARQU

Comment

Note that the hardship is to the U.S.-citizen kids, NOT YOU or YOUR husband.

Comment

I realize this would be difficult,I would probably need a police report and so on. Anyway I guess my choices are either to stay in my marriage and do the best I can until we can get legalization through maybe an amnesty one day or get out and cause hurt to my children and husband by having him jailed or deported. Oh dear!! Does anyone have a third option?....Oh and this is how pathetic his filing process was.I recently found out LPR was applied for in the 80's,all he had to do was send in medical forms and such when he went to immigration in 95.But he didnt realize this and mailed in another application.I think this was why it was too late!I know this because his brother did the right thing.and has his green card after years of chasing it up.Do you think a good lawyer could untangle all this mess!

Comment

Yes - a good lawyer will help. You need to get a couple of opinions and decide what to do. Keep in mind that 'staying in the marriage' will take YEARS to sort this out. See a lawyer and only take what we say here as advice - not fact. We can only share our experiences - not legal opinions...

Good Luck it is very tough to deal with and will be trying - but you should attempt to learn all you can about what options you have!

ARQU

Comment

I am just wondering - how taking her kids with her to her own country will be considered kidnapping? neither she nor her husband have a legal status in the States. He has to go back to his country as well as she does - and he doesn't have a word over where his USC kids can go. They can stay with relatives in the U.S., but not him - who will award him custody of the kids if he can't stay here legally?

Comment

Whether you are legal or not, you cannot just up and take away your children form their other parent.

A very good friend of mine (who was illegal) went to jail for taking her children away from her abusive spouse and running to So. Carolina. She only served a nominal amount of time behind bars but she can now only see her children under court supervision. I am unsure of her current imm. status as I have lost touch; however, I am under the impression that she is still in the USA at this time (this occured in 1997).

I don't pretend to know all the legal facts and so on but I have seen someone pay the price for this with my own eyes.

ARQU

Comment

Working...
                              X