Switching to student visa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching to student visa

Hi, my name is eddie and i immigrated here when i was about 7 on an i 94 visa as an h2 with my father and the rest of my family. Im 18 now and im in college but since my visa expired i dont know if im gonna be able to finish school, and i cant get any type of documents including an id card or license. I was wondering if there is anyway i could apply for temporary residency or at least a student visa? thanks for any answers that i recieve

Hi, my name is eddie and i immigrated here when i was about 7 on an i 94 visa as an h2 with my father and the rest of my family. Im 18 now and im in college but since my visa expired i dont know if im gonna be able to finish school, and i cant get any type of documents including an id card or license. I was wondering if there is anyway i could apply for temporary residency or at least a student visa? thanks for any answers that i recieve

Comment

sorry $hitbag, but there is no such visa category as an "h2" (there is an H2b, but some random kid was never granted one of these)

Comment

Please have some respect. He said he came over when he was 7! Weren't his parents responsible for getting some kind of permanent residency for him? Don't you have some more helpful advice to give him, S12, since you are an expert on these matters (other than calling him a $hitbag)?

Comment

Eddie: I would recommend that you speak with an immigration attorney. You might also consider talking with your school's International Student Adviser (although you may risk losing your eligibility to attend college if you do so).

Applying for F-1 student status is definitely an option (you can only get an actual visa when overseas). F-1 student status would enable you to attend school, and you would get a driver license valid for your period of authorized stay in America.

Be aware, however, of the pitfalls of F-1 student status: You would NOT be eligible for in-state tuition; you would have to self-finance your entire education; you would NOT be able to work (with proven financial need, you MAY be able to work up to twenty hours per week on campus); you would have to maintain full-time student status; you would still have temporary, non-immigrant status.

Have you considered returning to your country-of-origin to attend school? You would have no restrictions on your ability to work and study there.

Comment

Sundevil - do you think he has any ties with his country of origin? He came here when he was 7! This is the country he has known for 11 years! Why would you even suggest he return to his country (possibly where he doesn't even know the language?). How ridiculous. His parents are at fault for his non-status in this country, yet we have people like S12 calling him a $hitbag and you advising him to return to his country of origin for an education? He wants to get a higher education and that is admirable, don't you think.

Comment

ProudUSC: With all due respect, I didn't suggest that he return to his country-of-origin. I simply stated it as an option, among others.

Quite honestly, you appear incapable of reading my posts in their entirety. Your bleeding-heart, liberal bias is quite tiresome...and I'd appreciate if you would stop from dissecting my posts and jumping to your own conclusions about what I'm saying. Try reading the entire post, and interpreting it as a whole.

Comment

I've read your posts, Sundevil. In their entirety. And, I am no bleeding heart liberal -what a laugh! You should go back and read your own posts. You are so racist against Hispanics, it's pretty sick. If you were unilaterally against illegal immigration, that's one thing. But when you hurl insults geared towards the Hispanic communitiy, that's another. That's called being racist - and we don't need anymore racists living amongst us in this great country!

Comment

I wouldn't pay much attention to what Sundevil says. He is probably just a deranged night security guard at some storage facility who thinks of himself as a guard of the US borders, just because they gave him a mace pepper spray! So, he is polluting this forum's internet space with his irrelevant comments. I am sure this is an outlet for him – the only place where people actually pay attention to what he has to say, poor thing! He is slightly entertaining in his efforts to grab attention but I would not treat seriously anything that he might say. He is our "village idiot". )

Comment

eddie - what's your parents' current status?

Are you over 18?

you can't change your status (while in the USA) to "student" as you have no status to change from.

Comment

ByashaStruthkin: I realize that you don't like the fact that I tell you the truth...that you're nothing but a worthless individual who's trying to cheat and scam the American Government into giving your wife a student visa. Fortunately, our Consular officials aren't as stupid and corrupt as you are, and will deny your wife entry to the United States.

Stop trying to import the corruption and lawlessness of your country-of-origin to the United States.

You can call me all the names that you like, but the facts are on my side.

Comment

Staying up late, waking up early, Sundevil? Were you sleeping on the job or were you making rounds at the wherehouse where you toil away at night? ) What is the proper medical term for your mental condition anyway?

Comment

Dear Eddie,

Is your current I -94 valid ?

Comment

No its no longer valid, ive been hoping the DREAM ACT would be passed by now, since i have all my school records and a social security number my school hasnt asked me many questions but they told me they will need to see proof of residency soon.

thanks for all the help!

Comment

I am currently 18, my parents are in the same situation...except my father has been employed by the same company for about 8 yrs now so he is just worried about me and my siblings.

Comment

Working...
                              X