REJECTION FOR INCORRECT FEES

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REJECTION FOR INCORRECT FEES

So here's the problem. On Saturday 07/28/2007 I went to a UPS store that offered USPS services. Sent immigration package using USPS Priority Mail with Certified Mail. Package contained 1 I-485 for spouse, 2 I-130 + 2 I-485 for 2 sons < 14 years and included check for $1425. Certified Mail postmarked 07/28/07, Purchase receipt dated 07/28/07. Actual bubble mailer stamp dated 07/30/07.
    USCIS sent rejection notice based on bubble mailer stamp...
    WHAT DO I DO?

So here's the problem. On Saturday 07/28/2007 I went to a UPS store that offered USPS services. Sent immigration package using USPS Priority Mail with Certified Mail. Package contained 1 I-485 for spouse, 2 I-130 + 2 I-485 for 2 sons &lt; 14 years and included check for $1425. Certified Mail postmarked 07/28/07, Purchase receipt dated 07/28/07. Actual bubble mailer stamp dated 07/30/07.
    WHAT DO I DO?

Comment

Resubmit with the correct fees.

Comment

The correct fees at the time of the mailing was $1425!!!
        I do not feel that I am at fault especially since I can prove that I mailed the package on the 28th rather than the 30th. I think I am going to get UPS to acknowledge this in an affidavit and if that doesn't work, I will be writing to the Director and Deputy Director of the USCIS... This is lunacy.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaize1:
          So here's the problem. On Saturday 07/28/2007 I went to a UPS store that offered USPS services. Sent immigration package using USPS Priority Mail with Certified Mail. Package contained 1 I-485 for spouse, 2 I-130 + 2 I-485 for 2 sons &lt; 14 years and included check for $1425. Certified Mail postmarked 07/28/07, Purchase receipt dated 07/28/07. Actual bubble mailer stamp dated 07/30/07.
          WHAT DO I DO? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your problem is that you submitted one check for three applicants. You were supposed to submit three separate checks. Although you can submit all the applications in one invelop, you cannot submit one check for all of them.

Comment

That's not what they said. They said that they wanted the new fee because the applications were not "received" (which is incorrect) before the 30th.

Comment

Hi Blaize

Sorry to hear of your situation. However, the USCIS is correct in returning your package for the fees. New fees were effective July 30th. the memo read if postmarked on the 30th or otherwise mailed after the 30th would be rejected.

Your mistake was going to one of the 3rd party service stores for the post office. All they did was take it to the post office on Monday Jul 30th. Had you gone to the Standard post office, it would have been postmarked that day and they would have told you (if it was express ) that it would probably take 2 days or more for the overnight... but it would have been postmarked the 28th.

Jul 28 was a saturday and the only option you had was FED-EX to insure the timely delivery or regular post office postmarked on 7/28

Send the new fees and take it as a lesson learned in procrastination.

Comment

First, let me address your comment about procrastinating. You don't know the circumstances surrounding my situation so you should not assume to.
                Second, this should not be an issue of delivery. Read the first paragraph of this release on the USCIS website http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrele...der30Jul07.pdf
                The USCIS website states that packages postmarked on or after 07/30/07 will be subject to new fees. My United States Postal Service Certified Mail receipt was postmarked 07/28/07. http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrele...der30Jul07.pdf
                It should not matter what company I used to post the package. However, in this case I used a UPS store that is AUTHORIZED to offer USPS. services. Moreover, the USCIS does not specifically direct anyone to use one provider over another. Read the memo again.
                This is an absolute outrage and I for one will stop at nothing to prove my case.
                As it turns out, there are hundreds of people in a similar predicament. The idea of ripping off citizens to the tune of thousands of dollars may be easy for some of you to digest and may even bring you glee but I am a US citizen like the rest of you and this is unfair.

Comment

Just my opinion.... but, as you are wanting a benefit from the USCIS, I think it best NOT to poke the beast.
                  Take it as a lesson learned and hopefully your case will be easy for you.

Comment

This is the problem with America. People just roll over and take it because they feel that they are at the mercy of these agencies.
                    What ever happened to the fight in us? With the law on my side why would I want to fork over my hard earned cash. Anyway, I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I have numbers to everyone who matters in the USCIS and my congressman and I am not afraid to use them.

Comment

Blaize1, Do you actually have proof of postage, and tracking that they signed for your package before 30th July, I sent mine via Certified mail, so I have proof they received it and signed for it when I had the retrun receipt back, if you have anything like that or the original envelope, did they send that back with your applications, I would try Infopass to state your case, if that does not work, then you may be better off sending the additional fee that is required.

Comment

B.aize

No I dont know the circumstances, nor do I care b/c it doesnt matter. the mailing was last minute for whatever reason.

But..What part of the USCIS memo do you not understand???

It is clear. YOur package was postmarked Jul 30 2007. Hence rejection as they promised.

Your fight is with the 3rd party vendor that did not postmark the package jul 28 the same as your certified receiptn not with USCIS. Get them to stand behind their error for erroneous postmark on package. take the UPS store to court for the difference in the fees if it cannot be resolved.

Comment

Working...
                        X