Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atl. office seems to be kicking some @^@%!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atl. office seems to be kicking some @^@%!!!!

The district updates for the Atlanta office were posted today on the USCIS website. The I-485 receipt date that it showed being processed on the last posting (July 20th) was July 15th, 2001. Today the new posting came out and showed they are currently working on Dec. 5th, 2001. Maybe the backlog reduction plan is working after all.

The district updates for the Atlanta office were posted today on the USCIS website. The I-485 receipt date that it showed being processed on the last posting (July 20th) was July 15th, 2001. Today the new posting came out and showed they are currently working on Dec. 5th, 2001. Maybe the backlog reduction plan is working after all.

Comment

Must be. We filed in February 2002 and just got AOS approved. It was bizarre... we received our fingerprints notice and then the interview notice came a few days later. I was expecting to wait as long as we did so I wasn't really ***med. Finally over.

Comment

monkeymanmoi,

Thanks for the feedback. Our aps have a receipt date of Jan. 27, 2004. I know, a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way off but this latest news is encouraging.

Do you know why the the I-130 is required to be along with the I-485 but the I-130 status is not indicated on the website? What will we get first, the I-130 or the I-485? The only thing we have left to complete is the medical exaim. I have been told it is only good for a year so it is best to wait. Can you help answer this?

Comment

I really can't answer your 130 and 485 question. Maybe someone else can. I actually had to go over and see what the 130 was because it was so long ago that we filed all that stuff.

Medical exam. We wasted $205 on that. My wife had her exam done in Feb. 2002 and the interviewer said that was good enough. Wish we'd known that because we called the INS hotline a month ago and was told we need a newer examination done. Turned out not to be needed in Atlanta for the interview, but I don't know if that was just us being "lucky".

BTW, we called 3 doctors for exam info and one in Norcross wanted to charge $380 and one in Buckhead wanted $205 for the exact same thing. This angered me because Norcross has a fairly large hispanic population and I felt like maybe they were taking advantage of them. Pays to check around. Anyway, we still wasted $205 on an exam we never needed. The interviewer had the old exam with all our other papers we filed.

Comment

I think you got lucky on the medical requirement. Even the USCIS page says that medicals are generally only good for 12 months.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-693.htm
            "The results of the medical examination are generally valid for only 12 months. Applicants should schedule the medical examination as close as possible to the time you file for Adjustment of Status."

Comment

what are those medicals for? They never give results and never tell someone who is sick.

Has anyone ever been denied AOS coz of failing test? I dont get it.

Comment

What about requiring aliens to be vaccinated against tetanus? What's the point - it's not like it is contagious or anything. They don't worry about hepatitis or other diseases that may pose a threat to the public but they do worry about tetanus. I don't get it.

Comment

about I-130 and I-485. You can, if you want to, file them together. This option is only available to USC immediate relatives. In this case, they will be adjudicated at the same time, and you should look up the processing times for I-485 in this case. And both forms stay together, which is good.

You can file I-130 first, and then I-485 (like I did by mistake), but there is always a chance I-130 is going to be misplaced when the local office requests for it to be transferred from the district office.

Now, in this case, even if I-130 is approved before I-485 (which is true for ATL), it will not do me any good. Because I'll still have to wait for I-485 to be approved. If I-130 is not approved, then when it's time for I-485 to be approved, I-130 will be pulled from the district office to be adjudicated at the same time with I-485.

If I-130 is approved first in the case of separate filing, I may in theory opt for consular processing, but I don't know how, and I'd feel sorry for all the money I spent on AOS.

Comment

Lucy,

Thanks for your reply. It was helpful info.

If you don't mind me asking, did you file your I-485 in Atlanta? If so when?

Comment

last month, here in ATL. They were immediately forwarded to MSC, and I got my receipts from there. My I-130 is pending at TSC.

Comment

Can anyone tell us what those medicals are for?

What are they looking for when they do those tests? They never gave me my results and I feel like they planted an electronic monitor when they were 'testing' me maybe to monitor where I go, when and also my eating habits.

Maybe am just paranoid,but I still would want to know what those tests were for.

Comment

I hope I'll be called soon.I filed October 2002!!

Comment

THe medical examination is mainly for apparent defects, diseases or disabilities (mental, insanity, psychopathic personality, chronic acoholism, syphilis infection, etc) tuberculosis, and serologic test for HIV infection.

Comment

We filed in March 2002. I am so hoping that we get called very very soon! The Atlanta office required us to send the medical in, well of course it has been over 12 months! Should we get another or wait until asked for it? Hubby hasn't gotten his latest work permit yet, maybe just maybe he won't need it? Wishful thinking. Now watch a big jump in time and now they will stay there for 3 months, or go back 6 months. Has happened before. Time will tell!

Comment

Working...
                              X