I-485 questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-485 questions

Hi. I am getting ready to mail my application but I am not sure about several items
    In part 1 - Address – C/O – Should I write down my wife's name under C/O? Leave it blank? I live with my USC wife in the same apartment.

Current INS Status – if I am currently out of status, what should I write down?

Expires on – is this the I-94 "UNTIL___" field in the INS stamp on the I-94? When last entering the US, the inspecting officer wrote on my I-94 in handwriting, on the stamp which says CLASS____"F-1" and UNTIL____ "D/S ". Then on the passport page to which the I-94 is stapled he wrote on the stamp under CLASS__"F1", and what seems to be the letters "VIOPN" under UNTIL. Does anyone know what these mean? A lawyer who looked at my I-94 said thee D/S stands for Duration of Stay, or maybe it was Duration of Status, Any ideas? Does this change my out of status status?

Part 2. Application Type – I am not sure which letter to mark – I entered as a student and now out of status, married to a USC – should it be (a) – "an immigrant petition giving me an immediately available visa number has been approved"; or (c) – "I entered as a K-1 fiancé of a USC whom I married within 90 days of entry..."?

Part 3 – "give your name exactly as it appears on your I-94" – On I-94 first name appears before last name. Is that the way I should write it down on the form?

My wife is a USC – should I fill in her A# ?
    I last entered on F-1 visa – where on the visa is the visa number showing? Is it the "control number"?

Documents – Photocopies of original must be notarized? Is that correct?
    "Copy of passport page with nonimmigrant visa. If you have obtained a nonimmigrant visa from a American consulate abroad within the last year, submit a photocopy of the page of your passport with the visa" - I have obtained my F-1 visa abroad but it was not "within the last year" but 6 years ago. Does that mean I do not have to submit a photocopy of the visa page from my passport?

How do I know if I should submit a Police Clearance and Medical Examination?

Hi. I am getting ready to mail my application but I am not sure about several items
    In part 1 - Address – C/O – Should I write down my wife's name under C/O? Leave it blank? I live with my USC wife in the same apartment.

Current INS Status – if I am currently out of status, what should I write down?

Expires on – is this the I-94 "UNTIL___" field in the INS stamp on the I-94? When last entering the US, the inspecting officer wrote on my I-94 in handwriting, on the stamp which says CLASS____"F-1" and UNTIL____ "D/S ". Then on the passport page to which the I-94 is stapled he wrote on the stamp under CLASS__"F1", and what seems to be the letters "VIOPN" under UNTIL. Does anyone know what these mean? A lawyer who looked at my I-94 said thee D/S stands for Duration of Stay, or maybe it was Duration of Status, Any ideas? Does this change my out of status status?

Part 2. Application Type – I am not sure which letter to mark – I entered as a student and now out of status, married to a USC – should it be (a) – "an immigrant petition giving me an immediately available visa number has been approved"; or (c) – "I entered as a K-1 fiancé of a USC whom I married within 90 days of entry..."?

Part 3 – "give your name exactly as it appears on your I-94" – On I-94 first name appears before last name. Is that the way I should write it down on the form?

My wife is a USC – should I fill in her A# ?
    I last entered on F-1 visa – where on the visa is the visa number showing? Is it the "control number"?

Documents – Photocopies of original must be notarized? Is that correct?
    "Copy of passport page with nonimmigrant visa. If you have obtained a nonimmigrant visa from a American consulate abroad within the last year, submit a photocopy of the page of your passport with the visa" - I have obtained my F-1 visa abroad but it was not "within the last year" but 6 years ago. Does that mean I do not have to submit a photocopy of the visa page from my passport?

How do I know if I should submit a Police Clearance and Medical Examination?

Comment

Call the 1-800 # of the BCIS and ask to speak to an immigration officer. They will be able to answer those questions for you.
      Have a nice day

Comment

Working...
      X