Back Taxes????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Taxes????

Okay, here goes, when we filed for AOS for my then EWI hubby, we were told by several lawyers that back taxes were going to have to be paid. Fine, we want to get everything corrected. Well, we filed for 2 years back taxes, he didn't have any documents as he was paid under the table. We filed stating that there was no proof but x amount was paid and calculated that we owed y amount. Plus interest and penalties would be z amount. They sent it all back and said they needed documentation which we do not have and have attempted to get from ex employer. Question is, how can one file honestly when they send everythng back. I thought that was crazy!

Okay, here goes, when we filed for AOS for my then EWI hubby, we were told by several lawyers that back taxes were going to have to be paid. Fine, we want to get everything corrected. Well, we filed for 2 years back taxes, he didn't have any documents as he was paid under the table. We filed stating that there was no proof but x amount was paid and calculated that we owed y amount. Plus interest and penalties would be z amount. They sent it all back and said they needed documentation which we do not have and have attempted to get from ex employer. Question is, how can one file honestly when they send everythng back. I thought that was crazy!

Comment

You tried, that's the main thing, now fuggetaboutit.
      Sweet Madame Belu

Comment

reina,

IRS works exactly the same way as immigration. You have to give them EXACTLY what they need, then they'll give you what they want. Face it. Get the docs you need from your former employer, send in what they need, then sit back and relax until you hear from them again. If the former employer is not cooperative, show it. Send them certified letters if you have to and if they still don't respond, submit the cidence to the INS. Never give up. If you want to cover/save your hubby's ***, go all the way through.

Comment

cidence = evidence

Comment

Why won't the employer provide documentation? Are they afraid they will get in trouble for paying someone under the table?
            Have a nice day

Comment

Glue, your brilliance astounds me.
              Sweet Madame Belu

Comment

Jo, nothing about you astounds me.
                Have a nice day

Comment

I am so hot, I look like a cross between Anna Nichole Smith and Jessica Rabbit.

Astounded now?
                  Sweet Madame Belu

Comment

I could care less what you look like. I'm straight.
                    Have a nice day

Comment

Tard, it was only a fact, not a hit, get over yourself. Like I said, your brilliance astounds me.
                      Sweet Madame Belu

Comment

Reina..

Who sent back the stuff... the IRS???

If so it is because you have nothing to support that the taxes were paid.

File your "under the table" earnings on a Schedule C form. the income will be subject to se tax. meaning you will pay both sides of soc secur/medicare taxes. Be prepared to pay Big Big bucks. hope you have children to help offset.

try to get employer to supply letter that you were independent contractor and state an amount of earnings for those years. he is more likely to do this for u b/c he will not have any liability.

Comment

You're right 4now but there's one thing, the employer is also obligated to report income and wages paid and if this guy was paid under the table and the IRS finds out then the employer himself could be audited for questionable accounting pratices. Like you said file a schedule C under miscellaneous income.

Comment

Hey Jc

What you have to understand is that these type of employers do not care about things like that if they pay "under the table".Most of these are not corporate where accounting has to be pristine. They dont care who is legal or not legal. Most likely they will even deny that person was known to them let alone worked for them. There's no record b/c its paid in cash. Only if they paid in form of check is there record. and that would be stupid. and even if they did .. only obligation would be to give 1099 for amounts paid over $600. This also is not big deal b/c employer did not take a deduction for what he paid out under the table. There is no law that states you have to take a deduction... its called creative accounting, and its legal. Employer can always file 1099 after the fact if needed to for technicality.

Comment

The employer is refusing to issue anything. We filed back for 1999 and 2000, IRS sent everything back. Can't file a form we don't have and can't get. We have copies of the letters sent to the employer and copies of the return receipt. He is saying we don't have to file because there is NO proof that he worked. I don't want to lie about it, it will come back at us later if we do. Funny thing is we filed back taxes for 2001 and they kept and cashed the check but sent the forms back to us stating the same, we need a 1099 or W2. The employer has now gone out of business. I spoke with the man and he said the IRS was hounding him over socials that didn't match up, well duh. What he said he was doing was paying one of the others like a contractor, and from what I understand, which is not much on this subject, it then became the contractor responsibility to issue the correct forms. This guy was also taking what everyone made and dividing it up between the other workers for their 1099s. I am thinking we will have to hire a CPA to help get this ironed out.

Comment

Working...
                              X