NEED ADVICE - /status adjustment and criminal background

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED ADVICE - /status adjustment and criminal background

I was arrested in 1997 for petty theft. It was a stupid mistake but I pleaded guilty. The case dismissed and sealed. My petition for permanent resident was filed long before the incident. During that time, I've received my work permit, renewed once and now I've received notice for status adjustment, which is in August. I have the sealed copy of the dismissal from the court. Do you know if this will be a problem during the interivew. I've never denied the incident on job interviews or for anything else that may require me answering yes.

I was arrested in 1997 for petty theft. It was a stupid mistake but I pleaded guilty. The case dismissed and sealed. My petition for permanent resident was filed long before the incident. During that time, I've received my work permit, renewed once and now I've received notice for status adjustment, which is in August. I have the sealed copy of the dismissal from the court. Do you know if this will be a problem during the interivew. I've never denied the incident on job interviews or for anything else that may require me answering yes.

Comment

As long as you didn't get a 1 year jail time in my opinion you should be fine. It might become an issue when you try to naturalized later, though.

Cheers.

Comment

Thanks. I was only held for a couple of hours. I did the community service and pay a small fine.

Comment

you should be ok for permanent resident but you can forget ever becoming a US citizen

Comment

Working...
          X