Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a work visa holder change companies to a new sponsor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a work visa holder change companies to a new sponsor?

Hello,

I have searched for this answer but the search terms are so generic I can't seem to find the exact issue listed anywhere.

My boyfriend, a Canadian citizen, is considering taking a job and visa sponsor offer from a high-tech company here in Texas to come live with me. However, the job requires extensive travel, which is something he does not want for the long term. If he were to take this job for the chance to move here, and then find another job also willing to sponsor him to work in the states, would he be able to switch jobs and be sponsored by the new company without having to leave the country, or would he have to leave the US and be brought over again by the new company?

Or even more importantly, would his chances of obtaining a work visa from the second company be hurt by his acceptance of a visa from the first company?

Thanks so much!

Hello,

I have searched for this answer but the search terms are so generic I can't seem to find the exact issue listed anywhere.

My boyfriend, a Canadian citizen, is considering taking a job and visa sponsor offer from a high-tech company here in Texas to come live with me. However, the job requires extensive travel, which is something he does not want for the long term. If he were to take this job for the chance to move here, and then find another job also willing to sponsor him to work in the states, would he be able to switch jobs and be sponsored by the new company without having to leave the country, or would he have to leave the US and be brought over again by the new company?

Or even more importantly, would his chances of obtaining a work visa from the second company be hurt by his acceptance of a visa from the first company?

Thanks so much!

Comment

Try this link.

http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/portability.html

Comment

Thank you so much!

Comment

You're welcome. Hope it helps, A & T.

Comment

Working...
          X