Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affidavit of Support question

Hello,
    My fiancee (US citizen) and I (currently under OPT) are gonna get married pretty soon, and gonna apply for PR to adjust my status.
    My fiancee cannot be the sponsor since her income is less than 125% of the poverty level. However, my income is above 125% of the poverty level. My question is can I use my income to meet the requirement of 125% above the poverty level or I need a co-sponsor?
    Thank you

Hello,
    My fiancee (US citizen) and I (currently under OPT) are gonna get married pretty soon, and gonna apply for PR to adjust my status.
    My fiancee cannot be the sponsor since her income is less than 125% of the poverty level. However, my income is above 125% of the poverty level. My question is can I use my income to meet the requirement of 125% above the poverty level or I need a co-sponsor?
    Thank you

Comment

Hello davdah,
      Thank you for your reply. What proof do I need to provide? In my case, I don't need a co-sponsor, right?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stlie:
        Hello davdah,
        Thank you for your reply. What proof do I need to provide? In my case, I don't need a co-sponsor, right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you currently work in the US..
        you need at least 2 to 3 years of your Income
        tax return and W2

Comment

I just read Form I-864 (affidavit of support form) and it said that the intending immigrant income can be used to meed the requirement for affidavit of support. It also said to be eligible, the intending immigrant income must continue from the same source after he/she obtains lawful permanent status.
          When will I be able to change a job? If after I get granted for PR and my spouse income meets the requirement, do I still need have income from the same source?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stlie:
            I just read Form I-864 (affidavit of support form) and it said that the intending immigrant income can be used to meed the requirement for affidavit of support. It also said to be eligible, the intending immigrant income must continue from the same source after he/she obtains lawful permanent status.
            When will I be able to change a job? If after I get granted for PR and my spouse income meets the requirement, do I still need have income from the same source? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They mean't your husband support.
            He still will need to sign an affidavit of support for you,(regardless of your income) your's is a supplement since his income is below the poverty line.

If you're legally in a working status in the US.
            You need a copy of 2 to 3 years of your income tax return and W2 and a letter of recomendation
            from your company describing your job, salary and how long you worked for your company.

Comment

Isn't the OP here in the US already, working under the OPT?
              I think what he means is can he use his income from the OPT work he is doing here?

Does your fiancee have any assets, house etc? I believe you can still use the sponsor's assets to make it above the poverty level if she does not earn enough.
              Just a thought.

Another option would be if any of her immediate family co-sponsor you?
              -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
              1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

Hi sprint!..how are you?
                "Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes everywhere will be war"...................BOB MARLEY

Comment

Hey Caribbeanman
                  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
                  1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

Hi sprint...

Hmm was wondering what's OPT?
                    was about to think OFF LIMITS lol

Comment

The only assets that my fiancee has is her savings, but that's still not enough to meet the requirement. OPT is optional practical training that USCIS gives to F1 students after they finish their school which valid for 1 year.

Comment

I already talked with my employer and he said he will keep me in his company before (with work authorization I'm gonna apply) and after my status is adjusted.

Comment

The law requires that the petitioner must be a sponsor and file an affidavit of support, even if he or she cannot meet the income requirements.A co-sponsor will be necessary.
                          you may need to add another sponsor who has sufficient income to sponsor your application. This can be accomplished by filing a supplement with the USCIS.

Must be a US Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident.

The sponsor(s) must provide the following documentation to
                          satisfactorily complete Form I-864, Affidavit of Support .
                          Federal income tax return for the sponsor's most
                          recent tax years and W2

Comment

Working...
                          X